• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:14:40 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Windows closes windows XP on April 8 of 2014

Started by SwarleyRuiz, October 10, 2013, 06:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwarleyRuiz

Microsoft has hatched a plan to get resellers to help wean customers off Windows XP by April 2014. Windows XP currently holds the second largest percentage of the computer operating system market right below Windows 7. According to Net Applications, Windows XP holds 37.17% of the operating system market while Windows 7 holds 44.37%.

Microsoft is reminding resellers and customers that there is less than a year left until all support for Windows XP is stopped. On April 8, 2014, Windows XP will no longer receive patches or updates including critical security updates. Moving consumers from Windows XP to a newer version of Windows is reportedly one of Microsoft's top priorities for its fiscal 2014,

That could be a tall order for Microsoft since the software giant and its partners would reportedly need to migrate 586,000 computers per day over the next 273 days to eliminate all machines running Windows XP.

Microsoft is rolling out several programs, offers, and tools to encourage users to leave Windows XP behind. Those programs include Accelerate where Microsoft will pay some reseller and integrator partners to create a proof of concept Metro-style apps to help lure customers to Windows 8. Microsoft is also going to extend the program call Get to Modern aimed at small and medium businesses.

It was reported earlier this month that Windows 8 market share just finally crept ahead of the unloved Windows Vista operating system.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/
Source: http://www.zdnet.com/
I use the google translator

Youtube: SwarleyRuiz Video of Games Racing.

Alby46

good news, i know xp has been loved by a lot of people ( including me ), but it's old and now it's time to change.
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

HornetMaX

There're plenty of reasons to avoid Win 8, but there's absolutely no reason to avoid Win 7: works flawlessly for me, can't even remember when I had the last blue screen (I think I had maybe 4-5 in 5 years, and mostly due to AMD drivers ...).

MaX.

SwarleyRuiz

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 10, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
There're plenty of reasons to avoid Win 8, but there's absolutely no reason to avoid Win 7: works flawlessly for me, can't even remember when I had the last blue screen

agree at all
I use the google translator

Youtube: SwarleyRuiz Video of Games Racing.

Alby46

Quote from: HornetMaX on October 10, 2013, 08:48:16 AM
There're plenty of reasons to avoid Win 8, but there's absolutely no reason to avoid Win 7: works flawlessly for me, can't even remember when I had the last blue screen (I think I had maybe 4-5 in 5 years, and mostly due to AMD drivers ...).

MaX.
never had a bsod, i have an amd too. Really stable, xp was so unstable and slow

Desteban

I can't find any reason to avoid win8, currently using it and I like it even more then win7.
But xp of course is growing a little old, even most of the newer games don't have an xp support anymore. So I think it is good idea to move on.

Alby46

i'm probably going to install xp 64 bits on my old pc, only for retro-gaming

Superballs

The only reason I can see to avoid Windows 8 revolves around the User Account Control (UAC).

You can disable notifications but to fully disable it in Win8 you need to change a registry key and then reboot.  If you happen to have any Metro Apps that disables them.