• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Rider Animation with Direct Steer.

Started by Klax75, May 02, 2014, 08:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klax75

May 02, 2014, 08:37:17 AM Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:03:05 AM by Klax75
I've been practicing using Direct Steer with Torque (Not to be confused with Direct Lean), and I noticed the rider animations are different then the default steering. The rider shifts in his seat, kicks out his knee but his head doesn't move and seems to keep his back more straight. Looks weird when riding around corners. Using full manual controls, full rider control F/B - L/R, no assists.

http://www.youtube.com/v/oFKCEcGFipo?

Klax75

Also some weird behavior with the handles bars when you first start or reset. The rider always throws them to one side, so makes using the manual clutch tricky since he is already to make a sharp turn from the start.

HornetMaX

Wow, you did that lap with direct steer torque ? I'm very impressed.
Have to admit I didn't play with it long enough, but I found it very difficult to get accustomed to.

The handles thing at rest: the steering is probably too light (compared to reality) when the bike is at rest, hence the slightest torque left or right (xbox360 pad centering is not very good) will send the bars full left or right. Bit of dead zone could help, but due to the fact you control the torque, once the bars are fully left, bringing them back to middle (where they will stay if you are in the deadzone) will not be easy. Depending on how precise the bike physics is, if the bars are not perfectly centered they may drift left/right.

MaX.

Klax75

Yep, was Direct Steer with Torque. I didn't have Direct Lean on either, but the difference between Direct Lean on and off are kind of slight. I tried the other Direct Steer, didn't like it as much. With torque if the bike is slipping I can give it some throttle, and use the back end to help me lift the bike back up. With the other method it wouldn't let you. My lap times are no where near what I would be doing with default steering. But they are getting better, learning how the bikes handle. How far I can go before it falls. Have to pay attention to the throttle a lot more since it's helping you hold the bike at lean, more then with default steering.

I have some deadzone already set for steering in GP Bikes. I already have it set to cancel out the normal little jiggle of the X-Box sticks. The handle bars going left or right do it for every bike, so I'll look at the settings some more.

When doing a wheelie you can control the front wheel, and the bike lean when on one wheel. The only thing is the controls will reverse on you as soon as the front wheel leaves the ground. Same thing before you start moving. If my front wheel is off the ground or I am at a stand still. If I turn the bars left, they move right. If I am moving, and turn the bars left, they go left and the bike turns left until I get to a lean angle. Then I have to start turning right so I don't fall over.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on May 02, 2014, 01:17:30 PM
When doing a wheelie you can control the front wheel, and the bike lean when on one wheel. The only thing is the controls will reverse on you as soon as the front wheel leaves the ground.
Hmm ... that would be surprising. Careful that when riding, to lean left you have to steer right (i.e. torque right) and vice versa.

So if when riding you push your stick right to lean right, you are in fact applying a torque left (GPB inverts this for you, it's configurable, see here: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.msg42#msg42).

MaX.

Hawk

This is interesting stuff Klax.... I might give this direct steer(with torque did you say?) another try myself.

Well done mate for sticking with it... The last time I tried I couldn't even get out of the pits without falling over. LOL

HornetMaX

Yes, AFAIR, starting was damn hard.

MaX.

ChrisK

what is direct steer with torque and how to try it?

atm i play with direct lean

Klax75

May 03, 2014, 09:25:07 AM #8 Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 09:29:27 AM by Klax75
Quote from: ChrisK on May 03, 2014, 09:09:26 AM
what is direct steer with torque and how to try it?

atm i play with direct lean

Direct Steer and Direct Lean or two different things. Here is a link how to turn on Direct Steer. Direct Lean is a check box inside GP Bikes. Direct Steer (either option there are two) you have to change your profile.ini file to turn it on. :)

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=28.0

ChrisK

Thanks Klax. Do u use the standart parameters? or find better ones?

Klax75

Direct Steer with Torque using standard. Direct Steer without Torque I changed the steering to negative settings. But I prefer while I am leaning it with torque.

ChrisK

ok both settings not working for me with the steering wheel.
with that settings its a littlebit like mxs