• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:40:07 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

MotoGP14

Started by HornetMaX, May 24, 2014, 01:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

-----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

girlracerTracey

Quote from: Stout Johnson on May 24, 2014, 10:21:46 PM

Congratulations, and nice to have you here.

Thanks very much for the welcome.  :)

One thing I am quite excited about is the possibility of the gp500 IOM TT track being converted for use on gpbikes. I saw a YouTube video a while ago showing the progress so far..

Does anyone know how this is progressing? Hopefully the guy in quesion, I cannot recall his name, is still working on this?

This time of year it's great fun to go online and race round the IOM TT track on gp500. If we had this track on gpbikes I think it would really be something.  :)

grT

JamoZ

Tracey, can you provide me with a link to a d/l of gp500 and all the things to get started with it? I`ve never played it and you made me quite curious.

girlracerTracey

May 24, 2014, 11:06:06 PM #18 Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 02:23:01 PM by girlracerTracey
The graphics are looking a bit dated now JamoZ but it's great fun to ride..

Here's one of my recent races round the Isle of Man TT course which might be of interest.

http://www.youtube.com/v/deiIFDip2IM
(if you watch it make sure you set it to1080p by adjusting the YouTube "cog" - the old graphics need a helping hand..although it does look much better on your monitor than on YouTube))

I'll send you a p.m. with all the details on how to download it and update it for the IOM TT track. It's quite complicated to install but not too bad really for someone like yourself I would imagine.

girlracerTracey

May 24, 2014, 11:56:23 PM #19 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:12:13 AM by girlracerTracey
For the road racing aficionados there is also the classic Dundrod circuit. I wish someone clever could convert this track for gpbikes. It would be fantastic I think!

https://www.youtube.com/v/pMTFVLXCpL0

Toomes1

Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 24, 2014, 09:58:50 PM
Quote from: Stout Johnson on May 24, 2014, 09:29:03 PM
Quote from: Toomes1 on May 24, 2014, 08:19:06 PM
I prefer kinky women

way to go... :)

Kinky in what way exactly? Don't worry I just wish to perform a psychoanalysis of you all before I meet you on the race-track..  ;)

grT

You don't want to know my meaning of kinky but if the lady moves lap gpbikes, we should have a perfect ride.

HornetMaX

Kinky in what way exactly? Don't worry I just wish to perform a psychoanalysis of you all before I meet you on the race-track..  ;)
Now that is a very scary plan, trust me. Mostly for you.

MaX.

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 25, 2014, 01:00:48 AM
MaX.

Indeed  :P

GP500, ....wow that was a good one , that was the one that took me into bike sims, ..... waiting for something like GPB since those days, been a long time....

Really nice to see you riding in onboard view, welcome to the club, not many over here. I use to say real men rides onboard , but now i have to include a woman, damn !  ;D 

JamoZ

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 25, 2014, 01:00:48 AM

MaX.

iVolution

May 25, 2014, 07:14:01 AM #24 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:29:35 AM by iVolution
Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 24, 2014, 09:30:19 PM
Once that is achieved I firmly believe gpbikes will take its rightful place as the most supreme and realistic motorcycle racing simulator of all time.
I totally agree, until the competition element (online racing) in GPbikes works flawlessly, not a lot of people are going to compete in leagues. Having a DNF (core.exe) while practicing all week for an event is just simply such a turnoff.

Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 24, 2014, 09:30:19 PM
Melbourne House's gp500 trounced Milestone's SBK2000/20001 games all those years ago.
Since I am one of the most fanatic SBK 2000/2001 players in existence, I am just a little curious why you (and a lot of others) think GP500 was a better game. I never played it so I can't judge for myself, but based on the video's I must say SBK looks more advanced in almost every way. Is it the online multiplay that does it for gp500 or am I missing something?

girlracerTracey

Quote from: Warlock on May 25, 2014, 01:25:14 AM

GP500, ....wow that was a good one , that was the one that took me into bike sims, ..... waiting for something like GPB since those days, been a long time....

Really nice to see you riding in onboard view, welcome to the club, not many over here. I use to say real men rides onboard , but now i have to include a woman, damn !  ;D

Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here.  ;)

Yeah, gp500 is still a very worthy "retro" motorcycle racing simulation. It does not have the complexity of suspension movement(s) that we can all now enjoy in gpbikes but it did have some fantastic tyre grip and tyre wear dynamics. It is also able to boast highly advanced and very competitive AI behaviour that bears the test of close scrutiny even today. The collision dynamics in the game are also excellent. The gp500 game is all about tyre grip and managing tyre wear. A characteristic that it shares with gpbikes. For its day it was truly groundbreaking in the same way that gpbikes is truly groundbreaking today..

I heard somewhere that the gp500 pc game was one of the inspirations that PiBoSo had in creating gpbikes. I think only PiBoSo himself could vouch for that being the case. But if its true its the biggest accolade I think anyone could pay to the gp500 game. I kind of would like to think that this is true.  ;)

The amazing thing is that right up to today there is still a gp500 online modding and online racing community. These guys still run online championships and leagues. Which is pretty impressive for such an old game. It speaks volumes really about the quality of the simulation that Melbourne House achieved all those years ago. People are still racing and enjoying it in 2014!

Having now raced all three games though, motogp13 by Milestone, gp500 by Melbourne House and gpbikes, I am confident that gpbikes when it is finished game (i.e. a "simulation" as opposed to just a game) will be just as enduring and as universally popular with the bike racing "sim" fraternity as gp500 has been in the past. The potential in gpbikes is quite frankly staggering in my opinion.

The priority in the immediate future though, in my opinion, has to be to sort out the gremlins with the online aspect of gpbikes, including of course the recurring problems with the core.exe crashes. I personally feel that at this stage to really cement interest in gpbikes this is an absolute requirement. People race motogp13/14 because it is so accessible & relatively stable online. If I am honest this is why I have just spent the last 10 months immersing myself in a full season of full distance championship races in four separate classes on the motogp13 game. And reservations with the physics in the motogp13 game apart it is been fantastic fun. Racing for 45 minutes against real life opponents online is a "high" that is very difficult to beat. Particularly when we have had races decided on the last corner and where the top six have been separated by less than 5 seconds at the finish line! Translate the scenario of full distance races and a championship based upon the same to gpbikes and the gppbikes community will immediately grow and flourish. Even before the game is finished..

But hats off to PiBoSo because this will come and the potential that he has created in gpbikes is simply enormous. It really is. It is a work of genius. But I personally believe that to drive this forward properly, in terms of popularity, we now need a stable and glitch free online environment to race in. I think I could recruit 10 new players tomorrow if we had this. Relatively easily.

grT   

girlracerTracey

May 25, 2014, 08:28:49 AM #26 Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 08:41:30 AM by girlracerTracey
Quote from: iVolution on May 25, 2014, 07:14:01 AM
Since I am one of the most fanatic SBK 2000/2001 players in existence, I am just a little curious why you (and a lot of others) think GP500 was a better game. I never played it so I can't judge for myself, but based on the video's I must say SBK looks more advanced in almost every way. Is it the online multiplay that does it for gp500 or am I missing something?

Tyre grip and tyre wear dynamics. Also more intelligent and more "competitive" AI. The ability to rear wheel steer realistically and accurately but with a bite that would have you off immediately if you came off the power too early..although I agree you can rear wheel steer also in SBK2000/2001.

Everyone has their favourite game though and my preference for gp500 is nothing more than that. Just my personal preference. 

I also have SBK2000 and SBK2001 together with all the add-on mod.s and bikesets. I have played the two games quite extensively. They are both very good games. I have very much enjoyed playing them.

I think, however, my father, who recently passed away, was an illustration of why in my opinion gp500 had the edge. My Dad raced competitively in real life at club and national level in the U.K. back in the 1980's. He raced big four strokes and also a square four RG500 open class racer for a while. When gp500 and SBK2000/2001 came out he immediately purchased and avidly played all three games. His opinion was that gp500 was a more realistic simulation of real life racing. I think it's fair to say that most real life racers tended to prefer gp500 over SBK2000/2001 for the same reason. Also it is worth mentioning that in developing gp500 Melbourne House extensively consulted with Kenny Roberts Jnr and a then young and up and coming racer by the name of Valentino Rossi. Melbourne House, as I understand it, did not rush the game out but over a period of time tested the BETA with both these real life grand prix racers. Their suggestions were taken onboard and enhancements and improvements were made to the physics engine over a period of time. I think Rossi had most of the input. I personally think this is why gp500 had/has an edge over Milestone's games.

Also I think it is fair to say that in essence the physics engine in motogp13 is at its core the same physics engine that drove SBK2000/2001. It has just evolved and changed over the years through the subsequent console incarnations of SBK2008, SBK2009, SBKX, SBK2011 and SBK generations. I think in truth motogp13 in terms of its physics is probably just a further modification to the original SBK physics engine. Motogp13 is a departure from the SBK theme but it still uses the same basic recipe..at its core the same physics engine. Just enlarged, changed and refined. I think it's the same engine..

Thanks to my father I have everyone of these games and I have raced them all to varying degrees. All the Milestone games feel very familiar in their physics engine to me.  Sadly I think in truth SBK2001 is the best of the lot. By quite a significant margin. So much for forwards progress.. ;)

I think there was always a healthy rivalry between gp500 & SBK2000/2001 right from the start. It is refreshing to realise that through the enthusiasm for motorcycle racing simulations this rivalry exists up to this day!  :) Perhaps "trounced" was too strong a word.  ;)

One question I have is do you use modified physics on SBK2001? All I have inherited from my Dad are bike-sets and graphical updates..

My preference for gp500 represents just my own preference. Nothing more. I fully respect your preference for SBK2000/2001. Out of interest what are the aspects of the physics engine in SBK2000/2001 that you particularly admire? I am very interested in your take on this.

grT

HornetMaX

Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 25, 2014, 07:53:48 AM
The priority in the immediate future though, in my opinion, has to be to sort out the gremlins with the online aspect of gpbikes, including of course the recurring problems with the core.exe crashes. I personally feel that at this stage to really cement interest in gpbikes this is an absolute requirement.
You're member #1738 of the club of people that think that.

In the past, we've had pretty animated discussions (to put it mildly) with the dev team about that subject. I can only add that those of us which are religious, each time they go to church they put 5 quid in the box and pray for a fix to the online issues. Me, not being religious, I do some voodoo involving  chicken blood and stuff once a week.

MaX.

Warlock

hahahah  ;D, yeah , im not religious, but i pray every night since years asking for this.

iVolution

Tracey, seems like you know your stuff pretty well. Thanks for the elaborate answer, Jamoz will probably debrief me with his gp500 experience pretty soon but he was never really fond of sbk2001 so for him that comparison is hard to make.

Quote from: girlracerTracey on May 25, 2014, 08:28:49 AM
Also I think it is fair to say that in essence the physics engine in motogp13 is at its core the same physics engine that drove SBK2000/2001.
I think they started from scratch with "superbike riding challenge" which had the worst handling period. From then on the physics engine kept getting tweaked with each iteration but the feeling as what I describe as "riding on rails" never went away. All the more recent SBK/motogp games still feel that way as with real movement in the bike (shake/slide) being pre animated and doing nothing but moving the bike around its centre axle. The wrs games of milestone do the same where turning the car is not initiated by the front wheels but by the whole car turning around on a centre pivot. Its like sticking a toothpick in the middle of a hamburger and spinning it around it. SBK 2001 did not have this problem.

[quoute]
One question I have is do you use modified physics on SBK2001? All I have inherited from my Dad are bike-sets and graphical updates.
[/quote]
No i did not use any modified physics since they weren't there. Can't remember if all the links to those files were all dead or that I couldn't find them in the first place. Did have some modified liveries and the "eapower"  8) cheat but thats it.

Out of interest what are the aspects of the physics engine in SBK2000/2001 that you particularly admire? I am very interested in your take on this.
Superbike for me was so amazing because after years of playing we still discovered new physics stuff. When watching a slow motion replay, you could really see the suspension react to the track surface causing amazing wobbles and situations during racing. Graphically it looked great for the time but the AI wasn't exceptional (they did crash however). Aside from the physics the fac,  that we were playing this game split screen days on end, battling lap after lap, knowing exactly how far to push the bikes still is an epic memory.