• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

MaxTM - A telemetry tool for GPB, MXB, WRS and KRP

Started by HornetMaX, May 28, 2014, 11:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

May 28, 2014, 11:18:32 PM Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 08:26:48 PM by HornetMaX
MaxTM is a telemetry tool for GPB, MXB, WRS and KRP: it allows to display graphs of the telemetry data exposed by GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP. It has two main components:
  • A GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP plugin: in charge to generate the telemetry data files.
  • A viewer application: in charge of displaying graphically the telemetry files saved by the plugin.

DOWNLOAD v2.7:  <<-- THIS if for GPB beta21, WRS beta14, KRP rel13 and MXB beta18

Love this stuff and you want to show that ? Have too much money at hand and don't knowe what to do with it ? Donations are welcome  8)
PM me when donations are done, so that I can keep a donors list HERE.

INSTALLATION
  • Download the archive from the link above and extract it somewhere. Inside the main folder you should have 4 extra folders: one for the plugin(s), one for the viewer and 2 folders with sample data.
  • Take the viewer folder (MaxTM_Viewer-vX.Y) and the 2 sample foders and put them somewhere (Desktop, Documents, wherever you have write rights). DON'T PUT THEM IN Program Files OR SIMILAR. The viewer is a portable app: it does not write anything in the registry, it requires no installation (in the Windows sense) and it won't ask you if you want to install a stupid toolbar.
  • Now run the viewer application (MaxTM_Viewer.exe and check it starts without issues. If it complains for missing dlls, you may need to install:
  • If you want to generate telemetry data from GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP you have to install the plugin: in the plugin folder (MaxTM_Plugin-vX.Y) you have 4 .dlo files (one each for GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP) and a folder named MaXTM_data. Just copy the appropriate .dlo and the MaXTM_data to the GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP plugins folder.
  • Restarting GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP and going to the track you should hear a heartbeat sound each time you start a run: this confirm that the telemetry logging is active.
  • You can also press 'Z' to see is if logging is currently ON or OFF, and CTRL+Z to toggle it ON/OFF. You can change the key in the .ini file of the plugin (MaxTM.ini, in the GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP data folder).
  • Telemetry log data will be saved (2 files per run) in folder MaxTM under GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP data directory (e.g. C:\Users\MaX\Documents\PiBoSo\GP Bikes).

IMPORTANT:
  • The telemetry file can be relatively big if you ride a lot. Remember to clean-up the MaxTM folder from time to time.
  • If you want to disable the plugin (for whichever reason), you simply rename it from .dlo to .dlo.off (or to .pizza) or edit the .ini file of the plugin (MaxTM.ini, in the GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP data folder) and set 'active' to false.

USAGE:
I'll briefly describe the main features here: there is no user manual yet (and maybe there will never be one), but the viewer is not too complicate.
  • The main areas of the main window have tooltips (i.e. little text explanations that appear when you leave the mouse still on them for a while): READ THEM.
  • The main areas of the main window have tooltips (i.e. little text explanations that appear when you leave the mouse still on them for a while): READ THEM (intentional repetition)
  • Seriously, read the tooltips: in particular the ones of the graphs and track map, as they explain how to interact with the graphs using the mouse. I could resume the thing here, but if I do it then you won't read the freakin' tooltips, so I won't do it  :P
  • On most areas a context menu is available: just right-click with the mouse.
  • The worst thing you could do with the viewer is delete some telemetry file: it's not a dangerous app, don't be afraid to try things around.
  • The general idea is:
    • You can open an arbitrary number of telemetry files at the same time. Each telemetry file will appear as a Run containing some Laps.
    • On the left you have the Runs/Laps as seen via the telemetry data, along with their lap times (as seen by the telemetry).
    • On the right (in the panel named Timings you have the same Runs and more or less the same Laps, with more or less the same lap times (as seen by GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP) and their split times.
    • Telemetry lap times come in two flavours: column "Lap Time" is based on GPB/MXB/WRS/KRP timing, column "Lap Time (w)" is based on an external timer which turns out to be more precise (I think it's some sort of bug, but I have no feedback on it from Piboso).
    • The telemetry lap times should more or less match the "official" lap times (the one in the Timings panel). Small errors are normal (up to 0.1-0.2 sec I'd say), larger ones are not.
    • The number of laps between the Runs/Laps panel and the Timings panel may not be identical: typically due to not completed laps, out of pits laps and so on. It's not too hard to see which lap in Runs/Laps corresponds to which lap in Timings.
    • In Runs/Laps you can select up to 4 laps (each one has a specific color): the 1st lap you you select will be the reference lap.
    • On the right you have (by default) one Graphs panel: here you can have the telemetry data plotted. You can have multiple graphs panels.
  • In each graphs panel, using the context menu (right-click), you can:
    • customize the number of graphs (as an N by M grid) and their appearance (axis labels, tick labels).
    • customize the each individual graph: delta plot (see later on), join/mark data points, show/position the legend etc.
    • customize what to plot on each graph on the X and Y axes (the variable on the X axis is the same for all the graphs in the panel)
    • Save the current layout of the graphs panel, so that you can reload it next time.
  • Delta graphs: a delta graph is simply a graph where instead of plotting (let's say) the speed against the position on the track (centerline) of the selected laps, you plot the difference in speed between the 1st selected lap (the reference lap) and the other selected laps. So if you have 4 selecte dlaps, on a normal plot you'll have 4 lines while on a delta plot you'll have 3 lines, each of them being the speed difference between selected lap 1 and selected laps 2, 3 and 4.
  • The viewer app comes with 2 themes: the default "bright" one (almost white background) and a darker one I find very handy at night (did I told you I average 4-5hrs of sleep per day ?).

I'll open another topic to gather your feedback on this: please try to keep this topic clean (just for new versions etc).

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Awesome! Setup gold dust.. Have you created this?

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 28, 2014, 11:28:09 PM
Awesome! Setup gold dust.. Have you created this?
It surely didn't create itself on his own :)

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Brilliant work maX, il spend more time on this than riding round the track haha

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 28, 2014, 11:48:26 PM
Brilliant work maX, il spend more time on this than riding round the track haha
That's exactly what happened for me doing it.

MaX.

Hawk

This is a very nice piece of kit... Amazing work Max.... Well done mate!  ;D 8)

Now I can really get stuck into analysing my riding style....  Thanks Max! ;D

Hawk.

oppolo

HI
wrs:
I have the option
[windows]
compatibility=0
in the core.ini

and "wrs" is installed in "C:\giochi|wrs" as 2MaxTM-v1.0" is

so wrs creates a folder "MaxTM" under "wrs" folder, but the file "2014-05-29_14-31-05_victoria.maxtm.data.bin" is only 3 Kb and when I open it there are no laps inside

HornetMaX

Did you move the "2014-05-29_14-31-05_victoria.maxtm.data.bin" from its original folder ("C:\giochi\wrs\MaxTM") to a different folder ?
If so, did you move also its associated "2014-05-29_14-31-05_victoria.maxtm.info.bin" file ?

MaX.

oppolo

no, I left them both in "C:\giochi\World Racing Series\wrs\MaxTM" and I pointed the bin file with "MaxTM_Viewer.exe"

the strange is that "2014-05-29_14-31-05_victoria.maxtm.data.bin" is only 3 Kb even if I do 8 laps

_______________________________________________________-
MaxTM_Viewer.ini

[Globals]
ini_version=1
openpath='C:/giochi/World Racing Series/wrs/MaxTM'
layoutspath='C:/giochi/MaxTM-v1.0/MaxTM_Viewer-v1.0'
tooltips=true
darktheme=false

[MainWin]
size=@Size(1366 716)
pos=@Point(-8 -8)
windowState=@ByteArray(\0\0\0\xff\0\0\0\0\xfd\0\0\0\x2\0\0\0\0\0\0\x1\x2\0\0\x1\xc9\xfc\x2\0\0\0\x2\xfb\0\0\0\x18\0\x64\0o\0\x63\0k\0W\0i\0\x64\0_\0R\0u\0n\0s\x1\0\0\0\x15\0\0\x1!\0\0\0z\0\a\xff\xff\xfb\0\0\0\x16\0\x64\0o\0\x63\0k\0W\0i\0\x64\0_\0M\0\x61\0p\x1\0\0\x1:\0\0\0\xa4\0\0\0z\0\xff\xff\xff\0\0\0\x3\0\0\x5V\0\0\0\xd6\xfc\x1\0\0\0\x1\xfb\0\0\0\x16\0\x64\0o\0\x63\0k\0W\0i\0\x64\0_\0L\0o\0g\x1\0\0\0\0\0\0\x5V\0\0\x1\0\0\a\xff\xff\0\0\x4P\0\0\x1\xc9\0\0\0\x4\0\0\0\x4\0\0\0\b\0\0\0\b\xfc\0\0\0\0)
ShowTrackIDColumn=false
ShowVehicleIDColumn=false

_____________________________________________________________________________________-

MaxTM.ini

[general]
ini_version=1
active=True
sample_rate=10
data_output_binary=True
data_output_csv=False
write_logfile=0
dump_all=False

HornetMaX

May 29, 2014, 02:54:48 PM #9 Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:58:54 PM by HornetMaX
Oups, my fault. I'll upload a fix in 5min (the plugin was not working as expected with the default settings).

Thx for the report !

EDIT: v1.1 out  :-[

MaX.

oppolo

thank you very much!, now it works fine

if I can suggest something....

- possibility to have min max avg values in every graph
- can't you grap front middle and rear height?
-is it possible to open MaxTM with all the last graphs panels (as when it was closed)

HornetMaX

Quote from: oppolo on May 29, 2014, 03:47:43 PM
if I can suggest something....

- possibility to have min max avg values in every graph
Well, max/min are not hard to spot on the graphs no ?
And the average, what would it be good for ?

- can't you grap front middle and rear height?
No, they are not passed by the game to the plugin.
I could eventually average left/right suspension and call this a "middle" height, but it's not really what you are looking for.

-is it possible to open MaxTM with all the last graphs panels (as when it was closed)
That should be doable, I'll mark it down for a future release.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

I havnt downloaded this yet.. (i should really take a look before I ask) but..

Does or will this telemetry show anything regarding tyre pressures, tyre wear and temperature? Or is it mainly gearing and suspension etc.

It may already be a fact that tyre pressure does or does not have an effect on tyre life in gpbikes..? Im trying to find out!

HornetMaX

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 29, 2014, 09:57:38 PM
I havnt downloaded this yet.. (i should really take a look before I ask) but..

Does or will this telemetry show anything regarding tyre pressures, tyre wear and temperature? Or is it mainly gearing and suspension etc.
No, as GPB does not pass these info to the plugin. The day GPB exposes these values, I'll be able to show them.
Notice however that I'm not sure you have tire wear info in a real telemetry system (but I agree you can have pressure and temp).

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on May 29, 2014, 09:57:38 PM
It may already be a fact that tyre pressure does or does not have an effect on tyre life in gpbikes..? Im trying to find out!
Only Piboso can answer this fo rsure. Judging from the parameters in the tire model it's not possible to answer.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Yeah im not sure either.. I guess its just from feel out on the track and visual condition.. Just curious because it displays the tyre wear in the pits on gpbikes.

This is the wrong thread isnt it! Lol sorry