• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:43:32 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Ana Carrasco makes history at Sepang

Started by SwarleyRuiz, October 15, 2013, 06:20:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwarleyRuiz

Moto3™ rider Ana Carrasco wrote her way into the history books at Sepang on Sunday, becoming the first female rider in well over a decade to score a World Championship point.

Carrasco, 16 years of age and hailing from Murcia in south-eastern Spain, made her World Championship debut with Team Calvo at the start of this season, riding alongside Moto3™ title contender Maverick Viñales. Prior to Malaysia, Carrasco's best finishing position had been 17th at the Indianapolis Grand Prix in August.

At Sepang, Carrasco qualified 19th on the grid and collected the final point for 15th place as - in a dramatic fight to the finish line - she beat San Carlo Team Italia's Francesco Bagnaia by just over one tenth of a second. She becomes the first female rider to score points in the Moto3™ class, which was inaugurated in 2012.

"I think I had a very good race and I am very pleased," Carrasco commented. "I struggled a bit at the start, seeing many falls, so I preferred to take it easy.

"I then had a hard time making up positions, but with about six laps to go I was at the front of my group. I passed somebody at the end of the final lap to get my first World Championship point – I'm super happy! Now we have to keep working as hard as possible in order to pick up many more."

Carrasco's achievement makes her the first female rider to score a World Championship point since Germany's Katja Poensgen finished 14th in the 250 Italian Grand Prix of 2001, at Mugello. However, no female rider had scored in the lightweight class for some 18 years; the last was Tomoko Igata of Japan, who was seventh at Brno in the 125 Czech Grand Prix of 1995.

Source: http://www.motogp.com/en/
I use the google translator

Youtube: SwarleyRuiz Video of Games Racing.

capeta

HornetMaX