• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:15:29 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

GP Bikes bike skinning tutorial

Started by matty0l215, August 01, 2014, 11:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty0l215

August 01, 2014, 11:43:16 AM Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 08:25:29 PM by matty0l215
Recently there have been a couple of threads asking for a tutorial about skinning, so here's one I made and have been sending to people who ask.

I only use Photoshop and the in game bike viewer (in the main menu, there is a little square/box in the bottom right of the menu box)

First i use an already made .pnt file (any .pnt file for the correct bike is fine) and rename it (call it whatever you want)

Then you need to unpack it (using the paint tool from piboso http://www.kartracing-pro.com/downloads/painted.zip)

Open the program , open your .pnt file

Then unpack the file (click unpack and chouse where you want to put the .TGA files) .TGA is the file format that you will need to work with.

I suggest making a folder just for making the skin like in the pictures, one for the .psd files, one for the .TGA files and any others you want.

To paint, I use templates where available and if not i use a blank (white version of the skin) version and have followed Juju's tutorials (http://forum.motonline-france.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=1237, he has others as well. they're in french but i just use Google translate) I use reference images if applicable (re-creating a specific skin).

Here's an example of what one of my .psd files looks like when I'm finished with a skin , there is a lot of layers, each part of the skin has its own layer so it can be manipulated individually (easier to fix a problem)

Once finished or at any point you want to check your progress, you will need first save the skin as .tga file format, then re-pack the .tga files into the .pnt file , click dir read and chose the folder with all your .tga files in (which is why i give them their own folder, it makes easier to check which files i've got).

Once you've got the .tga files in PaintEd, Name the skin (this is the name you will see in GP Bikes)

and click Pack to save the .pnt file

Once packed (it takes a little while, depending on how many parts to the skin and how big the files are), find the .pnt file and place it into the GP Bikes Folder like you normally would for any other skin.

To check your skin, make sure the bike is viable in the main menu with your skin on (go to track with the bike selected and go straight back to the main menu), and click the little square/box in the bottom right of the menu box to enter the viewer. after in the viewer, you can check the progress of your skin.

Once in viewer, you don't have to quit GP Bikes you can ALT+Tab out of the game, make any modifications to the .tga/.psd file, repack the skin and place into GP Bikes folder, then go back into game (viewer) and click refresh key ( R key by default) and it should update with any changes.

Repeat until finished.

Its a long process but it's the only way I know & it works for me.

If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve this tutorial, please tell me!
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE