• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Starting procedure

Started by Stout Johnson, August 15, 2014, 09:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

Hey Piboso,

we just came across a small problem concerning race starts with sighting lap: All riders were aligned in the starting grid, except one rider. When this rider came to his marked spot, he also tried to align perfectly on his starting spot. What happened was that he received jump-start penalty while he was still trying to align..... the cause of this was, that while trying to align - for a split-second - he obviously was in his designated starting area and was in a stand-still (for a split second while trying to adjust his position walking the bike) - so the starting procedure went on right away. As he was not aware he had inadvertantly triggered the starting procedure, he still wanted to align himself and was "awarded" with a jump-start penalty.

It is not really a bug, as technically it works ok. But for the sake of realism and for letting people adjust their starting position it needs to be sorted. I would suggest a procedure where all riders need to be in their starting "box" and being in a stand-still for 1 second (1 second just a proposal, but atm there obviously is no time constraint for the stand-still) - that way it could be ensured that all riders have taken their spots and have finished their alignment on the grid.

In order to avoid unnecessary delays due to riders "messing around" or sth like that, there is still the time constraint of a maximum of 5 mins for the sighting lap (including the time for aligning on the grid). So there would be no risk of having an infinite delay due to some rider "aligning forever".

Does that make sense?
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

janaucarre

Hello,
I totally agree with you:)

Hawk

Quote from: janaucarre on August 15, 2014, 09:39:44 PM
Hello,
I totally agree with you:)

I agree too.... I think this is exactly what must've happen to me in Peters Friday nights Mallory Park Old School Race, because I was adjusting my position and I know there was plenty of time on the clock.

It maybe a good idea to have at least 5 seconds when everyone is stood still before it automatically goes to the lights or continues on with the countdown to start.

Hawk.

JamoZ

Pffff, that rider must have been a massive noob! Just vote to kick him from the server next time!  :-X

Stout Johnson

Quote from: JamoZ on August 16, 2014, 12:26:56 AM
Pffff, that rider must have been a massive noob! Just vote to kick him from the server next time!  :-X
In fact - he IS a massive noob!!! I considered making a video "How not to make a start - JAMOZ!!!" with underlying silly music. But that just is not my style ;)

Stout Johnson

Quote from: Hawk_UK on August 16, 2014, 12:20:18 AM
I agree too.... I think this is exactly what must've happen to me in Peters Friday nights Mallory Park Old School Race, because I was adjusting my position and I know there was plenty of time on the clock.

It maybe a good idea to have at least 5 seconds when everyone is stood still before it automatically goes to the lights or continues on with the countdown to start.

Hawk.
Yeah probably happened many times before and people wondered and just considered it a bug. But technically it is ok. What is needed is just a matter of letting people adjust their position to their liking and giving them a bit more time. When for 1 second (or even longer like you propose) no one has changed his/her position then it can be assumed that all are lined up and the starting procedure should be triggered.

PeterV

August 16, 2014, 06:19:38 AM #6 Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:22:11 AM by PeterV
This happens more often but not in sightninglap, but in warmuplap.

When on Sightninglap the last in position will not trigger the start event, it just counts down the timer from 5:00 too 0.
if it reaches 0 then it triggers it, so don't move until the fat chick with the greenflag is waving at you.

On the warmuplap the last in position will trigger the start procedure, and you can get what is described in the above mentioned by mr. Stout.

I agree with the suggestion stout, a little safety net in the warmuplap lineup  before the start launches would make a lot of people happy.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: PeterV on August 16, 2014, 06:19:38 AM
This happens more often but not in sightninglap, but in warmuplap.

When on Sightninglap the last in position will not trigger the start event, it just counts down the timer from 5:00 too 0.
if it reaches 0 then it triggers it, so don't move until the fat chick with the greenflag is waving at you.

On the warmuplap the last in position will trigger the start procedure, and you can get what is described in the above mentioned by mr. Stout.

I agree with the suggestion stout, a little safety net in the warmuplap lineup  before the start launches would make a lot of people happy.

Ok, thnx for addition concerning warm-up lap. Wasn't aware of that.