• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:51:44 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Sideslip angle, wut ?

Started by HornetMaX, August 17, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

If you have recorded today's motgp race (Brno, nice umbrella girls, by the way), 4 laps before the end you have 2nice replays (with high speed camera) with close-ups of the front wheel in the middle of a turn: you can clearly see that the front wheel is not "pointing" in the direction it is move towards, aka it is slipping laterally, (aka it has a sideslip angle, for the geeks).

MaX.

HornetMaX

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 17, 2014, 07:52:53 PM
If you have recorded today's motgp race (Brno, nice umbrella girls, by the way), 4 laps before the end you have 2nice replays (with high speed camera) with close-ups of the front wheel in the middle of a turn: you can clearly see that the front wheel is not "pointing" in the direction it is move towards, aka it is slipping laterally, (aka it has a sideslip angle, for the geeks).

If I recall correctly, the wheel was even pointing more towards the inside of the turn (with respect to the trajectory being followed by the wheel and the bike itself), which is a bit less usual of the other case (wheel pointing towards the exterior with respect to the trajectory).

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 17, 2014, 07:55:28 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on August 17, 2014, 07:52:53 PM

If I recall correctly, the wheel was even pointing more towards the inside of the turn (with respect to the trajectory being followed by the wheel and the bike itself), which is a bit less usual of the other case (wheel pointing towards the exterior with respect to the trajectory).

You are right, saw it too, watched it again now that I saw your post. I found it to be more obvious in the replay of Dani Pedrosa with 7 laps remaining. There you could see more of the whole bike and therefore the overall trajectory. But as you said... very rare to see this. It looks like it is the uphill left-right combination - so front loaded heavily from braking and riding uphill. I would assume this is right on the edge - a bit more and they'd go down.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

When I saw it I though about you Stout :)

I'm not sure the thing is "right on the edge", I actually think this kind of sliding happens more often than people thinks: I'm confident if the slow-mo was not such high quality (high frame rate camera), you'd miss it.

At the same time, I only watched it live (and I missed the one 7 laps from the end, likely due to wife/kids interrupt), so if you can upload it somewhere (has to be good quality though), I'd like to have a second look.

But it's just a curiosity for me, so don't waste more than 10min: if it's too complicate, drop it.

MaX.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on August 17, 2014, 09:29:55 PM
When I saw it I though about you Stout :)
Hehe yeah - thought the same  ;D but it is a different story you know... these scenes happened on the brake and with heavy load on the front. The GPB thing I am still concerned about happens when accelerating hard, so...... you know.  ;)

At the same time, I only watched it live (and I missed the one 7 laps from the end, likely due to wife/kids interrupt), so if you can upload it somewhere (has to be good quality though), I'd like to have a second look.
Well recording Dorna stuff and uploading it - my legal counselor says I'd better now ;) ;) I can only reommend MotoGP season pass... you can watch every race whenever you want - right back to 90's

BOBR6 84

Is this to do with the strange front end problems on gpbikes? It does it at laguna seca aswel.. Corkscrew. Going left into corkscrew is fine but as soon as you go right and down the bike is pointing forwards whilst turning right!

Happens on most tracks.. Its not realistic in any way shape or form lol

Stout Johnson

I'm not sure the thing is "right on the edge", I actually think this kind of sliding happens more often than people thinks: I'm confident if the slow-mo was not such high quality (high frame rate camera), you'd miss it.

You are probably right that it happens to a certain degree more often than noticed .... but that this certain situation is right on the edge shows for example the crash of Rossi from Saturday. AFAIK it is the exact same turn where the above mentioned highlights were shot at.

This is the video of Rossis crash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Tc6Pi-quM

sidenote: watch how Rossis bike flys over the fence and almost hits the VIP shuttle BMW  :D  I bet the swanky would-be V.I.P lady inside of that car was scared like sh...t  :P

HornetMaX

Quote from: Stout Johnson on August 17, 2014, 10:01:50 PM
Hehe yeah - thought the same  ;D but it is a different story you know... these scenes happened on the brake and with heavy load on the front. The GPB thing I am still concerned about happens when accelerating hard, so...... you know.  ;)
Hmm, I thought they were more or less mid/end of the turn and hence on the throttle ...
Also because if they were on the brakes and initiating the lean, the front wheel would be pointing towards the exterior ...

Hmm, now I really really want to watch it again ...

Well recording Dorna stuff and uploading it - my legal counselor says I'd better now ;) ;)
If it's a 20sec replay, you won't be bothered.
Also, you may upload in a relatively private manner, but I digress :)

I can only reommend MotoGP season pass... you can watch every race whenever you want - right back to 90's
I've heard it's good, but I'm less and less inclined to paying for this kind of stuff ... I mean, in the past they were supposed to have you paying to be at the track, while watching it on tv was supposed to be covered by the sponsors and advertisers. Now you borderline have to pay even to talk about the sport ... yesterday I've read about a Premier League representative saying they will hunt people filming goal at the stadium and publishing them in real time: he said they had to (quote) "protect their intellectual property" ... oh well ...

MaX.

Alby46

there are some values that can be changed in the garage, that modify what you're saying
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

WALKEN

How about no more Brno?  Ewwwwwwwwww, love Brno!   
Help me, help you!

BOBR6 84

^ Troll alert!! Moderators!!!! Lol

Yeah brno is amazing..

WALKEN

;)  I guess it made the 2015 season after all   :P
Help me, help you!

BOBR6 84

Oh shit you mean they were gonna scrap brno??  :o

Alby46

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on August 18, 2014, 04:02:26 AM
Oh shit you mean they were gonna scrap brno??  :o
yes, karel saved it
Still riding a 50cc, but enjoying it :)

BOBR6 84

August 18, 2014, 05:43:43 AM #14 Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:45:59 AM by BOBR6 84
wow! that would suck.. well done abraham!! isnt brno one of the only original tracks from the beginning of motogp? or is that assen.. cant remember