• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:54:00 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Bike mod revived auto sync

Started by Alibaskins, August 31, 2014, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alibaskins

August 31, 2014, 04:10:13 PM Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 09:26:11 AM by Alibaskins
Hello all,

A lot of people have problems to maintain the bikes folder up to date.
So i have decided to open a ftp server to Klax, in the aim to push updates on.

With this method, Bike mod would be updated most frequently i think (If Klax is ok).

OPERATION:
SyncBack connects to the ftp server every hour when your computer is strated.
It checks the files on the server and compare with those in your bikes folder.
If it detects missing files or too much, then it adds or deletes these files (or folders).

INSTALLATION:

1: Download SyncBack free: http://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/software/SyncBack_Setup.exe
2: Install the software
3: Download two configurations files for SyncBack: http://www.motonline-france.com/public/Downloads/GP_Bikes/Motos/mod_bike_ftp.sps
http://www.motonline-france.com/public/Downloads/GP_Bikes/Motos/mod_bike_ftp_misc.sps  http://www.motonline-france.com/public/Downloads/GP_Bikes/Motos/mod_bike_ftp_tyres.sps
4: In SyncBack, go to the "Profiles" menu in the upper left, then click "Import profile".
5: To create the scheduled task, SyncBack asks for your password session, do so and enter.

Note: Depending on the configuration of Windows and security policy chosen, SyncBack can not write to the directory Gp Bikes/Bikes. We must therefore allow the user "Everyone" to have full rights to this directory (for simplicity) (right click/ Properties / Security).
Note 2: Be careful if you have bikes not included in the bikemod, then they will be deleted. You can disable the scheduled task if it is the case.
Note3: You must have the default configuration at the location of the game folder Else, you need to edit the conf SyncBack profile accordingly to the destination...

Currently, the full bike mod 2.0 with all skins are on the ftp server.

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !

JamoZ

Hawk

No offence Ali, but I just hope Klax is okay with that?.... I'm sure he would've appreciated it more if you'd have PM'd him and discussed your idea before taking this action.

Hawk.

Alibaskins

I have send MPs yes.
He haven't answer yet. But if he isn't interested, i could update this ftp alone with his mod. But for him, it would be very easy to maintain this ftp contrary to mega account.
Just one version, without zip, or with or without skins.

i have time this week end, so it was easy for me to work on it. If Klax isn't ok it's easy. delete = rm -rf /ftp-mod ...  :'(

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !

BozoCRO

Dont delete it. Give people time to adjust and test the mod.

JamoZ

August 31, 2014, 05:56:10 PM #5 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:13:56 PM by JamoZ
Quote from: Hawk_UK on August 31, 2014, 04:35:31 PM
No offence Ali, but I just hope Klax is okay with that?.... I'm sure he would've appreciated it more if you'd have PM'd him and discussed your idea before taking this action.

Hawk.

Noone owns the bike mod. It`s created to provide the whole community easy acces to the needed bikes for online use, although doing a good job, Klax just collects the new work and provides a link to it all. Ali has all the rights to release a tool like this without contacing anyone but the included mod authors. When i started with the bike mod & was doing what Klax is doing now, i was already wishing for a system like this...

janaucarre

I think it can help us and particularly the new comers.
No more needing to search wich bikes is used, it makes automatically.

Klax75

August 31, 2014, 06:21:26 PM #7 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 06:24:32 PM by Klax75
Hi All,

I haven't written back because my dad had spinal surgery on Tuesday, and will be staying at my house for two weeks. My house is one level, his house has a lot of stairs. You wrote me on the 29th, and I live in the U.S. so there is a 5-6 hour time difference. My dad didn't get out of the hospital until the 29th.

I did read the message but I have been so tired going back and forth to the hospital to see him, then with him being here also. There are things out side of GP Bikes I need to do also. lol

I'm not sure about this, because this would me people downloading things much more often, and servers having to update more often. I picked the two week cycle, so servers and MOD makers would have time to get releases more stable. Instead of everyday a new version is out, then waiting for the server host to get a new version that is released everyday.

I have looked in to sync software too, Mega has software for that. But I haven't used it for the Bike MOD since when putting things together during the gap between the two weeks. I don't want things out before the MOD is updated.

Again I have been pretty busy lately, I have also looked in to DropBox, if maybe setting up maybe a PayPal account for donations to pay for the 1TB dropbox account to use for Bike MOD.

Alibaskins

OK Klax.
You are doing a very good job with bike mod.
I'm offering you a tool. Free and easy to use for everyone. Just to help you and community.

For Mega there are a lot of problems for a lot of peoples. And sync tools can just sync your account. You can't sync a third part account.

With this FTP, you have access with full rights. Nobody can modify your mod. You are totaly free in your updates.
If you want i can authorize listing in web browser for peoples without FTP skills (lol).

Klax75

I am concerned with full rights for any user. Someone could decided to mess with things either to be funny or to be mean. Then screw things up for everyone.  Also the concern of server host having to constantly restart servers for what could be daily changes. In some cases versions were coming out several per day.

Alibaskins

No no no :-)

You have full rights.
Others can just read.

Like on Mega.

HornetMaX

@klax: only one people will be allowed to upload/remove stuff from the "master" ftp repository. Anybody else can only sync his own local copy to the master repository, not change the master repository. At least, that is the usually chosen (and logical) setup. If anybody can upload stuff, I'll never use it.

@Ali: I just hate a couple of things:

• runs every hour: is it possible to disable the scheduled run and only run it manually ?
  • need write permission to "Everybody": shouldn't run the software in admin (elevated) mode be enough ?
  • is there a mode where the software prompts you for the changes before automatically applying them ?

MaX.

Alibaskins

1 : yes of course ! Just disable the task.
2 : yes again. Haven't try.
3 : There are a lot of options. I think it's possible.

Hawk

Quote from: JamoZ on August 31, 2014, 05:56:10 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on August 31, 2014, 04:35:31 PM

Hawk.

Noone owns the bike mod. It`s created to provide the whole community easy acces to the needed bikes for online use, although doing a good job, Klax just collects the new work and provides a link to it all. Ali has all the rights to release a tool like this without contacing anyone but the included mod authors. When i started with the bike mod & was doing what Klax is doing now, i was already wishing for a system like this...

Your twisting my statement JamoZ, you should run for parliament! LOL

I'm not saying anyone owns anything, but when it's well known who is running and organising a database for the communities benefit then if anyone else wants to change anything or has an idea then they should consult the person who it's accepted is organising that database before any action is made, don't you think? Otherwise chaos will soon reign.  :P

Anyway, no offence Ali as non was intended mate. I'm just trying to explain things to JamoZ in the statement above as he's obviously got the wrong end of the stick. ;)

Hawk.
(Say what you want but this is my last post on this subject.) ::) :P

iVolution

August 31, 2014, 08:56:44 PM #14 Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:59:52 PM by iVolution
First of all, this sounds great and many thanks to Ali for the possible solution to the "data mismatch" problem.

I agree with klax that this might be harder to sync with the servers, but if Klax is the only one who has access to change things on server he can still just update the content every two weeks. Furthermore, as Ali has mentioned, this does not only benefit the downloaders, but also Klax who can just add one bike without having to upload the whole mod each time.

And with regards to Mega, I would rather not give them full permission to automatically change things on my computer. There just has to be some security into the server of Ali that if it gets hacked, they have no full access to all our computers. I am no expert in this field so I might be talking shit here...