• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:00:09 PM

Bike mod revived auto sync

Started by Alibaskins, August 31, 2014, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: iVolution on August 31, 2014, 08:56:44 PM
And with regards to Mega, I would rather not give them full permission to automatically change things on my computer.
And what makes you think the software Ali is proposing is any safer than mega ? You will never know.

That's why I personally will never do any automatic unsupervised update of stuff on my PC (and especially if the updates go into sensible folders like program files, requiring permission elevation).

Ali's solution has multiple advantages: first, FTP is the good way to store the data we need, it will make life easier for the one(s) uploading the stuff.
Second, we will no longer depend on mega or whatever. We only need somebody hosting the ftp server (I guess that's Ali at the moment) and one of the many free ftp-capable sync software. Moving the ftp server would be very easy. Finally, we could even have more than one ftp server around the world, if that's better.

The only drawbacks I see are: the free software must be good enough, very flexible and realtively easy to use. But that seems to be the case for SyncBack so no issue.

Also, downloading individual files without zipping may be a tad less efficient, but that's not a big issue neither. And anyway I'm getting optical fiber soon at home so I don't care ...  8)

Maybe the biggest concern is a potential legal risk: the one hosting the FTP server could (could) be deemed responsible of what he is hosting.
Ripped bikes/tracks ? Even bikes tracks created from scratch but without the permission of the bike constructor ? Tiny risk IMO, but being shielded by Mega is fractionally safer.

MaX.

Alibaskins

I have push the 2.05 update for tests

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !

Alibaskins

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !

Hawk

I'm just wondering if any server admins have been using this lately? Because there was a lot of unexplained and unusual "Data Mismatches" on a lot of the online servers(Except Peterv's Oldschool server) last night?

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1456.0

We had to go through checking all tracks and Bike Mods to make sure no mistakes there so we couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Hawk.

Alibaskins

Maybe a problem with the old auto-sync profile.

Maybe this solution will disapear in few weeks if there are too much problems.

dibu

Maybe it helps to identify the problem, at the Oldschool server only these bikes were installed yesterday.

aprilia rsv4
Ducati Panigale
DucatiGP12
Ducati_996R
Honda_500_NSR_95
RCV213
suzuki rgv500
Suzuki-GSVR
Suzuki_500_RGV_93
Yamaha YZR-M1
Yamaha_500_YZR_93

This morning I've added

Aprilia_Rsa250

Hawk

Quote from: Alibaskins on September 04, 2014, 08:24:31 AM
Maybe a problem with the old auto-sync profile.

Maybe this solution will disapear in few weeks if there are too much problems.

Hi Ali.

My concern is that not everyone will want their "bikes" folder being synced with a programme that is automatically going to delete and replace files without their knowledge or control. I personally have development files in my "bikes" folder, likewise in my "tracks" folder. Can you assure me that those files will not be deleted in favour of the standard Bike MOD file formats as and when they change?

And how are you going to co-ordinate the GPB users who do use the "bike" folder auto sync updates with the ones who will not use it?

Hawk.

Alibaskins

This "tool" isn't done for modders.
It's for simple players. They just want to connect online without searching informations in all bikes folders.

Advanced users don't need to use this tool. They know how update the bikes folder and they follow actively the thread of the mod bike.

If Klax isn't ok for this tool, i will stop this test.
I know update my servers and my PC. It's not a problem for me :)

Warlock

Quote from: Alibaskins on September 04, 2014, 10:00:49 AM
This "tool" isn't done for modders.
It's for simple players. They just want to connect online without searching informations in all bikes folders.

Advanced users don't need to use this tool. They know how update the bikes folder and they follow actively the thread of the mod bike.

I agree, we did use a dropbox account for quite a long time to keep bikes autoupdated and was a more dangerous thing as we all could make a mess in the folders (in fact , happened).
You guys are not forced to use this. If you dont like it , it's simple, don't use it (as i'm doing because i'm working with modders files i dont want to be deleted..)
Many users will be happy not having to update all manually.

Mairo

Quote from: Warlock on September 04, 2014, 01:16:33 PM

You guys are not forced to use this. If you dont like it , it's simple, don't use it (as i'm doing because i'm working with modders files i dont want to be deleted..)

Warlock, with SyncBack, there is an option for not delet file witch are on your computer and not on the ftp. I've try and it works fine!

Warlock

RBp

Not a tool I would use either but very good for people who just wont to play the game.  Good job.

JC#21

Despite I'm modder I use it and I don't loose any new files from work in progress. There is an option to keep those files safe  ;)
it's like to have simsync for Rfactor, it's perfect !!!  8)

Alibaskins

FTP updated and transfered on another server (windows). For timestamps problems.
Redownload is needed... Sorry. :-[

HornetMaX

Quote from: Mairo on September 05, 2014, 12:07:36 PM
Quote from: Warlock on September 04, 2014, 01:16:33 PM

Warlock, with SyncBack, there is an option for not delet file witch are on your computer and not on the ftp. I've try and it works fine!
Actually there's an even better option (IMO): you can ask SyncBack to prompt you for any change: you'll be then able to tell him what to do for any discrepancy.
Full control:

https://www.youtube.com/v/83I9El6C47A

MaX.