• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:09:43 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Bike mod revived auto sync

Started by Alibaskins, August 31, 2014, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BozoCRO

Have I done something wrong or the application deleted the 600 bikes on purpuse???

Klax75

Try using the mouse wheel to scroll down. GP Bikes doesn't give you a indicator that there are more bikes listed. If you scroll down more will show.

BozoCRO

Quote from: Klax75 on October 08, 2014, 05:33:25 PM
Try using the mouse wheel to scroll down. GP Bikes doesn't give you a indicator that there are more bikes listed. If you scroll down more will show.

Problem solved, thanks

Napalm Nick

Hi all,

Bear with me on this.....

I've set up my dedicated server OK (for the possible Daily Races) and have applied this auto-syncing magic for the bikes (and paints) without any hitches.  8).

So my next logical ( ??? ) question is can we do it for the Rider (leathers) and Helmets and Tracks?

It seems SUCH a good way of doing things especially for server admins. There must be a reason its not being done I wonder what it is???

Many thanks as always.
Nick.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on March 28, 2015, 10:15:19 PM
Hi all,

Bear with me on this.....

I've set up my dedicated server OK (for the possible Daily Races) and have applied this auto-syncing magic for the bikes (and paints) without any hitches.  8).

So my next logical ( ??? ) question is can we do it for the Rider (leathers) and Helmets and Tracks?

It seems SUCH a good way of doing things especially for server admins. There must be a reason its not being done I wonder what it is???

Many thanks as always.
Nick.

Hi Nick.

I'll try to explain this from my point of view.... I'm sure others will think differently, but we cannot please everyone.  ;) :P

The BikeMOD version is a necessity to be able to connect with the servers and so makes sense to have it in the auto-sync updater. Though even the total size of that BikeMOD version file is getting far too big and I hope in the future Piboso will somehow allow a rider to connect to a server without having to have all BikeMODS installed.

With there being so many tracks(10GB+) and some are good some are bad, not everyone will want to download and keep all tracks in their GPB "tracks" folder, so at the moment it is easier and simpler just to download and update manually - I do make it well known when a track is updated, so anyone who visits the forum regularly will know when a track has been updated, plus the servers states quite clearly which track and version is being used, so it's not hard to know when your not up to date with the track being used on the servers. It would just be a lot of work for very little gain, I mean it doesn't take much time to download and install one updated track every 3 months or so. ;)

I also co-ordinate all the track updates with all the established and regular server admins anyway, simply to make sure they are aware of any changes and have a direct download link to make it easy for them to update their track archives. I've not had any complaints yet.  ;)

Any problems with "Data Mismatch" on server connection invariably tend to be an issue with the BikeMOD version being used, and even with the Autosync-updater it still happens because not all server admins stick to the BikeMOD version update dates, so.....  :)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Hi Hawk,

Well I knew there must be a good reason and I appreciate you taking the time to explain from your point of view. It helps me understand the way the chi flows round here.

Now you say that the track updates are only appx once every 3 months then yes there is no problem manually updating locally. Its just a shame players are unlikely to ever get all the rider and lid paints ( and bike paints)  so their games and replays will always be ugly. I suppose a simple solution to this would be to make the default 'white' bikes something nicer. It does explain to me why we do the 'skin-packs' for the champ races.

The reason for my post was a quest for lazy Nirvana really.  I mean one program (syncback) with 3 profiles all sync-ing bikes, tracks and paints automatically means more time playing the game, less time pulling the hair out.  :o

I need to digest your last sentence a little more to understand it. For instance my games PC with a full bike mod download installed from Mega on it couldn't connect to my server today (mismatch no matter what bike selected) after the server did a full bike sync. Which implied the two are not the same. On investigation there appeared to be something awry with a 'miscellaneous' zip.  If people have a data mismatch now on my server surely its because their data is old. I mean, my server is checking its in sync every hour!  (Yes I'm going to change that)

" not all server admins stick to the BikeMOD version update dates, so.....".           This is the bit I'm not getting. Do you mean they are not syncing at the same time the Mega and Drop box files are updated and therefore getting behind compared to what players may have?

Thanks Hawk, its a shame we can't just auto sync our brains eh. One big knowledge base  8) Mind you, you don't want some of the crazy stuff I'm carrying.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Hawk

Quote from: Napalm Nick on March 29, 2015, 09:25:04 PM
Hi Hawk,

Well I knew there must be a good reason and I appreciate you taking the time to explain from your point of view. It helps me understand the way the chi flows round here.

Now you say that the track updates are only appx once every 3 months then yes there is no problem manually updating locally. Its just a shame players are unlikely to ever get all the rider and lid paints ( and bike paints)  so their games and replays will always be ugly. I suppose a simple solution to this would be to make the default 'white' bikes something nicer. It does explain to me why we do the 'skin-packs' for the champ races.

The reason for my post was a quest for lazy Nirvana really.  I mean one program (syncback) with 3 profiles all sync-ing bikes, tracks and paints automatically means more time playing the game, less time pulling the hair out.  :o

I need to digest your last sentence a little more to understand it. For instance my games PC with a full bike mod download installed from Mega on it couldn't connect to my server today (mismatch no matter what bike selected) after the server did a full bike sync. Which implied the two are not the same. On investigation there appeared to be something awry with a 'miscellaneous' zip.  If people have a data mismatch now on my server surely its because their data is old. I mean, my server is checking its in sync every hour!  (Yes I'm going to change that)

" not all server admins stick to the BikeMOD version update dates, so.....".           This is the bit I'm not getting. Do you mean they are not syncing at the same time the Mega and Drop box files are updated and therefore getting behind compared to what players may have?

Thanks Hawk, its a shame we can't just auto sync our brains eh. One big knowledge base  8) Mind you, you don't want some of the crazy stuff I'm carrying.

Hi Nick.

What I'm trying to say is that not all server admins use the autosync and also more importantly some server admins update bikeMODS when a bikeMOD update is released by the bikeMOD author and before Klax's BikeMOD version update dates of the 1st and 14th of each month, hence the resulting chaos and confusion of many riders suddenly getting "Data Mismatches" occurring at the time some of the server admins do this.
Personally I think the BikeMOD authors should co-ordinate with Klax and send Klax their BikeMOD releases/updates to be released by Klax at the next appropriate date(1st or 14th of the month); this would solve most if not all "Data Mismatch" issues. But again this is just my personal opinion, and I know not everyone agrees with this opinion. But to me it makes sense to only update from one place to avoid any problems. :)

Paint files on autosync?: Well, again I don't think people want everyones paint files loading up their hard drives, I wouldn't, especially as some paint authors choose to increase the templates to a 4MB+ size and end up with 12 - 16 MB of paint for one rider one bike! It's crazy to do that as it's not needed unless the paint is going to be viewed close up to the end of your nose to see that intricate detail. LOL.

But personally I think the skin pack is the way to go, because unless your riding in an event, seeing the other skins on other riders is good, but not good enough to warrant storing all paints of all riders who have GPB when half the time you wouldn't see most online anyway.... Am I making sense? Lol  ;D

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Thanks Hawk,

to me it makes sense to only update from one place to avoid any problems too. 

And now you have me thinking about my first skin - I must check the file size. :-[

Ultimately, I wonder how tracks, bikes, paints, servers and mods will be handled in the final release and how much will be left to the community ??? That's a question for the future.  :-X

Yes yes you are making perfect sense to me which possibly means we are both bananas.

Nick.

Bushmaster

October 28, 2015, 10:29:01 PM #38 Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:31:15 PM by Bushmaster
just went to update my bikes and as far as I can figure the only bike on there is gp1000 yzr-m1. It deleted every single F****** bike I had and installed the m1, but keeps missing one file so all an all this ftp database f***** my bikes library.

matty0l215

That is because the bikes arn't compatible with the current beta. The bikes will be re-added in due course.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

HornetMaX

Sync-back is a powerful tool:

• Hawk, you can configure it to avoid sync'ing the paints
  • Bushmaster, you got it configured to sync your local folder with the remote repository (who got emptied), so ...

MaX.

Bushmaster

October 28, 2015, 10:32:18 PM #41 Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:34:57 PM by Bushmaster
So if I go download the bikes from drop box they wont work??

and I know how I have it set up I didn't think they would clear out the database..

matty0l215

They technical do work, but only in certain situations. So i am not being held responsible for any crashes due to non compatible bikes.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Hawk

This is why I don't trust sync programmes and never will.... Yes I know they can be configured, but one mistake can cost you a whole lot of pain and aggravation, even the lose of important data. Personally that is why I stick to only manually downloading tracks, bikes, and paints; and let's face it, it's not a big job to manually download and install this stuff.  :P ;D

When you start getting lazy you start making mistakes.  :P

Hawk.

Alibaskins

Quote from: Hawk UK on October 29, 2015, 11:15:01 AM
This is why I don't trust sync programmes and never will.... Yes I know they can be configured, but one mistake can cost you a whole lot of pain and aggravation, even the lose of important data. Personally that is why I stick to only manually downloading tracks, bikes, and paints; and let's face it, it's not a big job to manually download and install this stuff.  :P ;D

When you start getting lazy you start making mistakes.  :P

Hawk.

This sync is not for advanced users. Just for simple users like me (i don't make skins, bikes, tracks... I haven't time to know all new bikes, tracks...).
If you are able to add bikes and maintain all folders, it's very good for you. But i can't answer again and again at all new players how add bikes and help them when there are mistakes.
Since there is the auto sync, we haven't problem with new players ;-)

Même si sans maîtrise la puissance n'est rien, sans puissance, la maîtrise ne fait pas tout !