• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:51:14 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

It ain't pretty, but it works...

Started by davidboda46, October 08, 2014, 05:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

November 13, 2014, 04:24:02 PM #30 Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 04:30:30 PM by doubledragoncc
Nice but pricey and looks like a bike on an ironing board lol

I thought mine were and in someways are expencive and thats why l am redesigning it ALL. The biggest cost is the full system with a real Sharkskins CBR1000RR racing body for real bikes!!! But that was for EBay Motors and they got the cash lol.
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

SimSime

Quote from: doubledragoncc on November 03, 2014, 01:00:17 PM
@SIDD

You said it m8. I a working on a full motion system but it aint easy. The hardest thing is to simulate when you slide the back end out as the physics and motion involved take a lot of engineering to make it work, it takes some powerful motors with the speed required to make it work right. Its a lot of work but its going to be the tits when l can get it to work.

I am trying to make a modular component system that will let anyone build a rig and not have to worry about the fine mechanics. I think people will enjoy a rig they build themselves more as it is a personal thing to ride your own bike in real life.

I love the way you guys are at least trying to do something instead of just bitching that there are no controls for bike out there. Good on you all.

The future has a few surprises coming!!!

DD

So glad I found this game and this forum! It's a terrible shame how most people are forced to play motorbike games, thumbstick controllers are just awful.  I've built my own flight cockpit, 2 car cockpits, and here i am twiddling my thumbs trying to control a 200 hp motorbike.  I've played a few bike games in the car cockpit, and while it's nice to have a throttle you can modulate easily, i found i was just chucking the wheel from side to side, not really "riding."

I started off with a simple office chair, straddling it backwards with a pair of handlebars bolted to the backrest.  Then I just kept adding stuff.  2 months ago I thought I was finished, then I found GP bikes and an input called "lean L/R', so back to the shed for knee controls it was......

I think I must have done alright, because now that it has everything, it's actually a bit harder to lap consistently with all the "automatics" switched off, although my fast times are faster.  I'm using a left throttle for lean F/B, which works well, but takes a bit of getting your head around.  It's got air spring front brakes, a clutch you would not believe isn't connected to a real bike, gear shifter which can be switched between race and street shift pattern, rear brake, and even a steering damper.  I had all these parts already lying around, otherwise it would have been a much simpler build.......

I'm using the Leo Bodnar BU0386X controller board, and 10k pots.  Simple, no solder, no problems.  Always calibrates ok, and I'm only using 1-2%  dead zones on a couple of the controls.

The next big upgrade is to get the bike to dive under braking.  For me, car or bike game, braking is the hardest thing for your brain to "guess" at the strength of.  Definitely triple monitor setups help a bit, as you get that flickering in your periphery to give you some idea of deceleration, but pressure on the wrists and some "fork dive" is what's really needed.  I will be installing an actual master cylinder for that part.  It already pitches forward and backwards under body weight, I've got springs and dampers at both ends and the feeling is quite nice.  It just needs to be tied into the action on screen.  It's all going to be mechanical at first, but ideally it would be controlled by outputs from GP Bikes.  I'm also working a mechanism to make the bike pitch backwards under acceleration/wheelies :)

If I can get that sorted, I will move on to full left/right lean.  Before I put knee controls on, the leaning handlebars felt ok.  But now I feel like I'm sticking my knee OUT rather than DOWN.  In the real world, you can kinda just let gravity do the knee out thing.  Also, I've nearly fallen off the thing several times from trying to lean it when I forgot I was only playing a game.....

I haven't looked at counter steering yet, although I was pleased to read about the DST option for GP Bikes.  It gets VERY messy when you go down that path.  At some point during turn in, the steering reverses and this really needs to be done in software to be at all accurate.  I had a few strategically placed weights and bungee cords that gave good initial feeling, but once you lean right over it's not quite right.  At the moment I'm just using a weight on the bottom of the steering shaft that gives mild centering so the steering feels mostly neutral, but lets you know where the middle is.

I posted a video of it in the videos section.  I cant seem to post pics here, maybe because of my newb status.  I've made it my avatar for now.

Bikes are best!!

doubledragoncc

Welcome to the GPB community regulator.

This is the best sim and best group of guys out there. I hope you give us some pics of your setup as it helps others who wish to make their own controls. You cant beat the BU0836X and its bullet proof, Ive had over 30 of them and not one has failed me except for ONE bad digital input, not bad from so many boards.

Off to check your video.

Have a great New Year bro.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

teeds

Masterofdesaster

January 12, 2015, 07:26:02 AM #34 Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:57:08 AM by Masterofdesaster
That looks really well executed.

samsung galaxy A3 tasche
Jeder Mensch ist geheimnisvoll. Du hast gar keine Ahnung, wie gut oder schlecht er ist, bis du ihn wirklich kennst und die Wahrheit siehst.

doubledragoncc

It may be an ugly duckling now, but it dont take much to cover it up lol. Great work m8.

DD