• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

"steering" as name of the steering settings section in profile.ini

Started by cdx, October 25, 2014, 10:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdx

After reading a bit earlier the posts about addition of flags and why it's not a good idea I'd like to point out something similar.

I think the steering section in profile.ini is not well named. The "hardcore" label is divisive and goes hand in hand with too many silly assumptions and associations.

The only difference between default steering and direct steering is about input preference method, what the player finds more enjoyable. Throwing people in the "hardcore crowd" because of their input preference is no good. It's like labelling keyboard or wheel users as "hardcore" because of the way they play.

Hawk

Quote from: cdx on October 25, 2014, 10:36:13 PM
After reading a bit earlier the posts about addition of flags and why it's not a good idea I'd like to point out something similar.

I think the steering section in profile.ini is not well named. The "hardcore" label is divisive and goes hand in hand with too many silly assumptions and associations.

The only difference between default steering and direct steering is about input preference method, what the player finds more enjoyable. Throwing people in the "hardcore crowd" because of their input preference is no good. It's like labelling keyboard or wheel users as "hardcore" because of the way they play.

Hi cdx.

Divisive? Personally I think in the simulation community "Hardcore" is a very well known word and understood terminology. I certainly don't think it is divisive at all; just depends on a persons point of view or perspective I guess.  :)

But personally I greatly admire those in the GPB community that have decided to control GPB via the hardcore method, especially knowing just how difficult it is and how much dedication and practice is required to achieve it.  8)

Hawk.