• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:43:05 PM

Data mismatch

Started by Toomes1, November 15, 2014, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 16, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
It's the Modders who have the real control here to make sure there are no problems.... It would be good to hear their opinions on this subject, because a little co-ordination with Bike MOD release dates sure makes sense to me. :P  ;D
It's the modders plus the server admins plus the players. I.e. whatever we do, it's not gonna work smoothly :)

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 16, 2014, 07:36:51 PM
Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 16, 2014, 07:08:01 PM
It's the Modders who have the real control here to make sure there are no problems.... It would be good to hear their opinions on this subject, because a little co-ordination with Bike MOD release dates sure makes sense to me. :P  ;D
It's the modders plus the server admins plus the players. I.e. whatever we do, it's not gonna work smoothly :)

MaX.

Sorry Max I have to disagree...... If the bike modders co-ordinated only with Klax for release dates of their bike mods, then no one else would know there was a new mod release until the bike mod version release dates. Correct?
Okay, certain server admins and testers will know about it as part of the testing procedure that goes on, but if the Mod isn't released to anyone else but Klax for publishing in the due update of the Bike MOD package then what problems can there be, except of course that some won't see the sense in this at all and continue to do there own thing. Classic politics! Lol  ;D

Of course, all this would have to be agreed, and I'm sure there could be some interesting debates about this subject if others would speak up too, especially those who complained about the data mismatches. If people want change then they've got to voice their opinions and concerns. This is what a forum is really for, debate, right? :P  ;D

It's like the old saying: "Let's solve problems and not create them."

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on November 16, 2014, 10:45:04 PM
Sorry Max I have to disagree...... If the bike modders co-ordinated only with Klax for release dates of their bike mods, then no one else would know there was a new mod release until the bike mod version release dates. Correct?
Okay, certain server admins and testers will know about it as part of the testing procedure that goes on, but if the Mod isn't released to anyone else but Klax for publishing in the due update of the Bike MOD package then what problems can there be, except of course that some won't see the sense in this at all and continue to do there own thing. Classic politics! Lol  ;D

Of course, all this would have to be agreed, and I'm sure there could be some interesting debates about this subject if others would speak up too, especially those who complained about the data mismatches. If people want change then they've got to voice their opinions and concerns. This is what a forum is really for, debate, right? :P  ;D

It's like the old saying: "Let's solve problems and not create them."

Hawk.
Right, but an equally valid solution would be if all players and server admins sticked to Klax mod, meaning that if a modder releases on the "wrong" day, players and server admins do nothing until Klax updates his mod. But of course, this is not happening (and is not going to neither).

Basic rule is, as always, to know what you do: if the bikeset has been published 5 minutes ago, it is fairly likely that not all the servers will already be on that bikeset version. So if you wan to try the new version right now, go for it but expect some data mismatches, else wait for Klax updates (which is what one would have to do anyway if modders were to release "in-sync" with Klax as you propose).

As for tracks, putting a version number in the bike name would solve the issue (or almost), but it's a bit more annoying than for tracks.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

November 16, 2014, 11:36:47 PM #18 Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:43:54 PM by BOBR6 84
I think the best bet is simply server information!

Click on the server of choice.. List of mods/mod updates etc that you need to join.. Even links to the required mods would be sweet! Better than just getting data mismatch which leaves you head scratching.. Probably save klax a job in the proscess..

BOBR6 84

I guess piboso would need to implement some kind of server checklist for the host to fill in for that to work ^^

Or we could have a thread on the forum for the current servers and update that with mods instead of bike mod revived?

Klax75

Quote from: BOBR6 84 on November 17, 2014, 12:08:37 AM
I guess piboso would need to implement some kind of server checklist for the host to fill in for that to work ^^

Or we could have a thread on the forum for the current servers and update that with mods instead of bike mod revived?

Then you'd still have to search for the MODs and update them.

Klax75

Years ago I was a beta tester on the TargetWare simulation. This was over 10 years ago but it is was similar to Piboso's software.

TargetWare was just software that would give you the environment. Everything else was MOD'ed. It was a flight simulation. The only officiate MOD was Target Korea. The files were like we have were you could open them up in a text editor. Certain files were client based like how you wanted to set up your ammo belts, convergence, types of ammo. The order on the ammo belt, such as Ball, Ball, Tracer, Armored Piercing, Ball. So in the game if I did that only ever second shot would be a Tracer.

The reason I am mentioning this is, back then. A MOD team could uploaded there MOD's to the Meta server. If you didn't have the MOD and tried to connect. The software would inform you that the MOD wasn't installed. Would you like to install it? The other great thing about it was, there was never a data mismatch. If you logged on to a server that the files had been updated or changed to what the server was using, it would automatically download the changed files. So the MOD'ers would haven't to do major updates, and massive redownloads. The download's were never very big. Unless you want to the authors set and downloaded the compete zip manually. You could also test things and not get them over written if you named them differently then the servers. Even if you messed around with your files, then logged in it would update your files to the official versions hosted on the server.

This was 10 years ago, so I hope one date Piboso would add a feature like this.

BOBR6 84

Example..

Server 1

Class: Wss600/moto2

Mods: wss600 bikeset /link....
Moto2 bikeset / link....

Info: wss bikeset updated on same link 7/10/2014

So if the server admin, modders, klax, work together bike mods and servers could be updated straight away..

Or stay as we are lol I really dont mind, just an idea (my brain is now fried) :)

HornetMaX

What is sure is that when connecting to a server, the server should point out what is causing the data mismatch. This should be such an easy thing to do I can't quite understand why it's not yet done (surely I'm missing something).

Concerning the auto-download (Klax' example on TargetWare): this is technically doable. The proper manner would be for the server to redirect you to an http server (i.e. it's nt the GPB server itself taking care of the download). Notice however that this means that:

• Piboso would have to implement the mechanism (not a monster job, but still...)
  • Each server should specify the target http server for the download redirect
  • Each server admin would need to be sure that what is installed on his servers is available on the http redirect he's using
And of course, a few KB of text files are nothing compared to 500+MB of a bikeset.

Where we are now, I'd just be very happy with the server telling me what is causing the data mismatch.

MaX.

BOBR6 84

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 17, 2014, 07:45:59 AM

Where we are now, I'd just be very happy with the server telling me what is causing the data mismatch.

MaX.

lol yeah +1

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 17, 2014, 07:45:59 AM

MaX.

+1
That would certainly be a good facility to have through the servers, and would go a long way to giving the clients a positive understanding on what they need to install to connect successfully.  ;)

Hawk.