• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:20:11 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

to reality

Started by finpower, December 08, 2014, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

I'm opening this topic up again please if you don't mind.  ::)

I had intended to run my server in Onboard view only, thinking originally it wouldn't affect most people but it would keep the field level.  Then I find out this could alienate 99% of riders! That really surprised me. I always thought having a Simulator and riding it in easier Arcade mode was odd! Each to their own of course.

So I would like to know if anyone is like-minded and would want a server that runs races onboard view only?  Or are the 'realists' happy being backmarkers? Maybe there aren't enough players here yet to warrant it?

I have read a few like-minded comments here but just how big is the 1%??  Whatever please comment I am intrigued what to do. Ta!
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Klax75

I've only every used Helmet view. I wish more races had it, because a lot of people using 3rd person assume everyone is using it. Then will try to pass in some crazy spots, because they assume you can see them.

I wish Helmet view was more mandatory. :(

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Klax75 on April 13, 2015, 08:51:29 AM
I've only every used Helmet view. I wish more races had it, because a lot of people using 3rd person assume everyone is using it. Then will try to pass in some crazy spots, because they assume you can see them.

I wish Helmet view was more mandatory. :(

Thanks Klax I believe you are the 'real-ist' rider here so appreciate that.  :)

I'm certainly not pushing for anything mandatory of course just offering one server that runs Helmet view only
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Klax75

I know there are other people that use Helmet view other then me. lol

Hawk

I know a while back Stout Johnson started doing a race series called "Skeet" for cockpit view only races, and if I remember rightly he did get a reasonable amount of riders giving it a go(I even had a go myself). It definitely made me think about riding cockpit view more regular. So maybe the best thing would be to start holding events with cockpit view only to encourage riders to use it..... Okay at first the event may lack the numbers that open cockpit(3rd person view) has right now, but if continued over time I think more and more riders would start to move over to cockpit view?

Personally I have nothing against riding in cockpit view so long as others in the event are doing the same to level the playing field, so to speak.

This is why I admire Klax's determination so much, because he not only rides in cockpit view(helmet view), but also rides fully manual with DST! That is hard stuff to learn.... He definitely has my respect.  ;) 8)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Hawk UK on April 13, 2015, 09:11:03 AM

Personally I have nothing against riding in cockpit view so long as others in the event are doing the same to level the playing field, so to speak

Hawk.

Thanks Hawk that's my aim really and maybe a good idea to try.  8)

Warlock

I've been with Stout trying to promote the helmet view for a long time,....... i gave up m8  :P.
Some people get sick, others just want to see the bike, others don't want to learn to ride again, others find it 'too difficult'.
There are some great onboard riders though.
3rd person view apart of being unrealistic has a huge advantage over onboard riders when racing.

We discovered, during onboard only races, that we had waay less kamikaze riders, good thing.

Napalm Nick

Quote from: Warlock on April 13, 2015, 01:39:46 PM
I've been with Stout trying to promote the helmet view for a long time,....... i gave up m8  :P.

Thanks Warlock, yep I have searched the forum so know I'm dragging up stuff already covered from founders like yourselves, but hopefully it is worth a review every now and again.
I use an analogue look left/right whilst 'onboard' - it works good, and overcomes a little of what is lost by not using 3rd person. In the absence of being able to use my TrackIR properly (also forum searched) its not so bad.

I really don't want to ride 3rdP so hopefully there's a gaggle of us for an onboard race every now and again?  ;D

Warlock

Sure, but we need some bug fixes first  ;), i'll be there when we can have an online race without annoying bugs  :P
We could already have amazing championships if you don't get a core.exe crash in the fist race lap, after a week of hard training  >:(

Napalm Nick

In my race if someone gets a core we restart! I have never had a core in any race yet (um... all three of  them). All the bugs are fixed.

Yes I'm trying to tempt you back with white lies and hope.  :)

JJS209

Quote from: Napalm Nick on April 13, 2015, 02:27:39 PM
In my race if someone gets a core we restart!
not possible without reseting the qualifing results. you can not reconnect on warmup/sightinglap/grid.

Warlock

Quote from: JJS209 on April 13, 2015, 02:34:07 PM
not possible without reseting the qualifing results. you can not reconnect on warmup/sightinglap/grid.

Well, you can reconnect after a core in a race (if you do it quickly), seems the server thinks you still in the server after a core lol :P,.... annoying anyway.

Quote from: Napalm Nick on April 13, 2015, 02:27:39 PM
Yes I'm trying to tempt you back with white lies and hope.  :)

lol  ;D

Have you tried a serious race with... lets say... 10 riders?  (no need to be a serious race though, even just for fun)
cores are a misterious thing, some days you don't get any, somedays you get 5 in a row depending of the server load and number of riders.
With the restart method, a  serious thing easily become into a serious joke  ;D, ... i've been there. Two restarts and its done, all the fun gone..... ask PeterV , he has a good background on these issues. He has done the best events i've participated in (even with 3rd view allowed).
I really miss them.....

Napalm Nick

Yeh good point JJ a race restart will nullify the quallie.

Interesting point to try if a player has a core - get back in quick!

Yes I have heard of Peters events I think they may be known world wide lol. Shame I was not here to enjoy them.
Well the 3 races I have been in had 15-24 in all three. But yes a couple had cores there, just not me  :D ........yet.

Totally understand what you are saying though, I can imagine there's only so many times the fun can be drained before the enthusiasm is sapped.  :-\

Hawk

Quote from: Warlock on April 13, 2015, 02:10:29 PM
Sure, but we need some bug fixes first  ;), i'll be there when we can have an online race without annoying bugs  :P
We could already have amazing championships if you don't get a core.exe crash in the fist race lap, after a week of hard training  >:(

This is a difficult one because I know some riders for some reason get a lot of core.exe crashes, while other riders like myself hardly ever suffer a core.exe crash. In fact out of all the races I've entered in my 3+ years I can honestly say that I've only ever core.exe crashed out of a race maybe 3 or four times.

I think if the right track and server/host is present to do the event this makes a massive difference, especially now that we have sorted a few tracks out to try and combat artefacts that do cause core.exe crashes. For me it is not bad at all, but I know and appreciate that is no consolation for those unfortunate to suffer from many core.exe crashes each time they ride online. I'm just one of the lucky few I guess?

Hawk.

Kerazo

I'd love to ride onboardraces again like Peters cold turkey events back in Beta4. those were the best
Only onboard view and some real nice battles with serveral top riders
bring those races back!! ;D