• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:19:24 AM

to reality

Started by finpower, December 08, 2014, 12:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WALKEN

April 16, 2015, 03:34:58 PM #75 Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:46:35 PM by WALKEN
Lets be honest at least Max.

Maybe a 125cc has to be revved to stay in the "powerband" but obviously you have never rode a 500cc 2 stroke as you can lug it around and when you open it up it doesn't have a powerband so to speak but more of a pulling effect.  Dirty/smoky 2 stroke bikes are those owned by ignorant people who don't know how to tune their bikes.   

Hardly a new company-      http://www.brp.com/

Also, direct injection is more efficient than a standard carb, hence fuel efficiency and emission compliant.

Its a known fact that in the snowmobile and boat world Etec (Bombardier) owns everyone in terms of power/weight/speed/efficiency 2 strokes!

A snowmobile engine in a street bike isn't something that hasn't been done before  8)

I will agree though, because of politics 4 strokes dominate and only because of politics! 

Help me, help you!

G0G

Slow, painfully slow progress.. but it is progress.
https://youtu.be/nPKjWbKtODw

HornetMaX

Quote from: WALKEN on April 16, 2015, 03:34:58 PM
Lets be honest at least Max.
Not sure anybody has been dishonest. I haven't.
Let's see about you: read this (it's interesting) and tell me what you think. http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/two-stroke-versus-four-stroke-2012-ktm-250sxf-vs-2012-ktm-250sx

Maybe a 125cc has to be revved to stay in the "powerband" but obviously you have never rode a 500cc 2 stroke as you can lug it around and when you open it up it doesn't have a powerband so to speak but more of a pulling effect.
I haven't indeed. But neither I have rode a 1000 motogp. However, the lack of torque in the low rpms typical of 2s is not something secret (for track racing bikes at least). It's a well known fact.
Of course you can tune a 2s to have more torque in the lows, but this comes (as always) at a price in the highs.

Friend of mine had a chance to chat with an ex-rider (500cc and motogp era): he preferred 500cc. The reason ? They were "funnier to ride" because of the "kick" when you enter the powerband.

Funnier. Not better, not faster, not easier.

This reminds me of 2 street bikes that have been criticized because their power delivery is "too linear", "not funny enough" etc.
One is the honda cb1000r: when it got out many testers (including pro ones) were saying the engine was too flat in its delivery. On track however (0-400m, 60-100Kmh, etc) it was ahead of all its competitors. The other is the recent KTM 1290: the KTM guys aimed for something really usable. Many however wanted/were expecting a death-machine with a stupid power curve.

Also, direct injection is more efficient than a standard carb, hence fuel efficiency and emission compliant.

True. Take a 2s, put direct injection, valves, complex lubrification and other measures to cope with emissions and you get a good engine.
But then you've lost many of the advantages you initially had. So constructors see no point in trying that direction.

I will agree though, because of politics 4 strokes dominate and only because of politics! 

Yeah, some dumb people decided that lowering the emissions on road bikes (and cars, trucks, buses etc) is a good idea. How silly ... Of course, the true hidden agenda is/was "kill the 2s" ... but we know that, don't we ?

MaX.

WALKEN

Good read Max.

The statement "lets be honest" was only about those who try to convince themselves that 4 strokes are better. Better for who?

Remember I did say that for me I would pick a 2 stroke over a 4 any day of the week because it is just more fun to ride..

Different strokes for different folks ;)

PS- that is why guys like wild crazy girls, because they are fun. 
Help me, help you!

HornetMaX

This is somehow related to the 4s-2s debate: http://www.gazzetta.it/Passione-Motori/Moto/18-04-2015/suzuki-pronta-lanciare-sua-moto-turbo-recursion-110502687911.shtml

It's in italian and honestly I can't judge how realiable (I'm trying to find out). Rumors about the recursion have been around a while but ...

Anyway, the general idea is: 600cc 4 strokes parallel twin, turbocharged. 99cv @ 8,000 RPM (I can hear the 2s fans laughing), 100Nm @ 4,500 RPM (and here the laughing stops, or at least they should).

Once again, the #1 justification of all this is, guess what, emissions and efficiency.

MaX.