• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:06:14 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Graphics 2015 standarts

Started by -aGy-, January 28, 2015, 04:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WALKEN

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 30, 2015, 05:34:45 PM
Quote from: WALKEN on January 30, 2015, 04:59:20 PM
You say "wow" like I'm clueless?
No, I say "Wow" because I don't get the link between directX/OpenGL and cloud streaming.

Quote from: WALKEN on January 30, 2015, 04:59:20 PM
The difference between OpenGL and D3D is the word "proprietary" (forget Apple all together as they are nothing but proprietary)
GPB is proprietary too. As a lot of other stuff one runs, even on a linux pc.

Anyway, it's not an issue as the choice has already been made (in favor of openGL) and there's not a lot of benefit in changing that, at least at the moment.
Depending on how things evolve, it could become more of a problem mid-term.

MaX.

Well the difference Max is if Piboso chooses to develop in DirectX and ignored OpenGL then in the future if/when GPBikes  can be sold through a publisher, they may box him in and not offer other options beyond the strive to go cloud based streaming in our ever evolving mobile world we live in...  When using OpenGL you allow yourself freedom from huge corporations and their idea of what is awesome. 

And remember as well as GPBikes evolves, OpenGL can/will evolve.

Gabe Newell's interest is a bit of a game changer.  A multi-platform API  allows the developer to not be bound by a proprietary software, along side their own proprietary software.   
Help me, help you!

h106frp

Do ati graphics card still suffer from poor performance with opengl?

HornetMaX

Quote from: WALKEN on January 30, 2015, 06:12:29 PM
Well the difference Max is if Piboso chooses to develop in DirectX and ignored OpenGL then in the future if/when GPBikes  can be sold through a publisher, they may box him in and not offer other options beyond the strive to go cloud based streaming in our ever evolving mobile world we live in... 
This is an utterly remote chance. What interest would Microsoft have in oblige people to cloud stream games ?!

We depend anyway on may other companies: Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ... what do you plan to do, ask for a GPB that runs on an Arduino ? :)

Quote from: WALKEN on January 30, 2015, 06:12:29 PM
Gabe Newell's interest is a bit of a game changer.  A multi-platform API  allows the developer to not be bound by a proprietary software, along side their own proprietary software.   

I wish them luck, because facing PCs and established consoles they do not really have an head start in that race.

Quote from: h106frp on January 30, 2015, 07:39:42 PM
Do ati graphics card still suffer from poor performance with opengl?

It's not really a matter of performance (even if, IIRC, Nvidia cards fare a bit better on openGL): the real PITA is AMD drivers, each new release you have 50% chances that they screw up on openGL.
And of course nobody cares, because ... well, there're no bloody openGL games around :) (OK, OK, there are a few).

MaX.

WALKEN

Help me, help you!