• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 09:25:21 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty0l215

Quote from: Grooveski on February 21, 2015, 05:13:29 PM
Oh - the pits.  Oliver's Mount uses a figure-of-eight pit arrangement that'd be pretty cool as you'd get to finish your last flying lap and could set a time on your cold tyre lap too.  I've no idea if GPB will allow that(cross line - enter/exit pits - cross line again  ??? ) so we may have to reverse the pit direction and go with a normal layout.

Shouldn't be a problem, it would just start a new lap and count the time you spent in the pits as a false lap

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

doubledragoncc

Dang you have been BUSY. Great work m8. One idea about trees for density instead of just a line of trees, could you have one row of trees in front of another or more to give a depth to the treeline??? Hard to explain but sure you know what I mean

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Grooveski

February 21, 2015, 07:18:13 PM #32 Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:54:13 AM by Grooveski
The ring is wearing a group of four textures that are good for distant field edges.  I only applied them so I can copy that part to the land model and those surfaces will be taken over with it. (then I'll just delete the ring)
While I had the monument aerial to scale as a background it made sense to sketch out the old reservoir diameter.  Was bored of brick units, one thing led to another and the first trees were planted.    ;D
The first of many.  Quarter of a million polys is a hefty budget for greenery and yeah, I know what you mean.   ;)

That plot is for sale at the moment.  Handy - couple of pics of the treeline from the inside.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/commercial/details/33204955

That's great to hear matty, cheers.  :)

Grooveski

Quick update:

Land matched to contours and track loft matched to land.
Was (mostly) able to tweak the loft elevations in long stretches so as not to affect the bumps built into it.  Was slightly off all over, just by a degree or so here and there apart from Sheen's Rise which as expected was a mile out.

So that's the two main models pretty close.  Much happier now with the gradients.  The hairpins have been reworked and I've started going round adjusting the verges and rechecking the road.
Once the verges are done the land model will get some final adjustments to fit.  (There are also bits I had to deform for the subpatch - they've still to be leveled again.)

Skins are starting to magically appear in my email.  :D  Have to say it's nice not to feel like it's a one man show any more.  Knowing someone else is out there working away encourages me to get on with it too.
The first real skin(wip) went on Bridge 3 and the model got fleshed out a bit.

Donnie

Superb!  Wish I knew how to models things.  Can't wait to try it.

GhostdogNL

looks good and sounds good mate ..alway`s nice that people helping out !

HornetMaX

Even if I'm not a big fan of road races, it is truly great to see a good cooperation going on !

I do think that's the right way forward for modding !

MaX.

Klax75

nuovaic

Cool!
I thought this project had stopped, but really happy to see it coming together. This is going to be the best track in GPb by far. Yes, looking great man!

azarito46

Can't wait! Looks nice  ;D

Eagle

Dayum, can't wait for this map. :o

Hope i'll finish my mods before so i can test them on it. :D

BOBR6 84

Great work Grooveski  8) thanks for the updates too, nice to see how much work is involved behind the scenes.. looks like alot!! :o fair play to ya  ;)

matty0l215

Really looking forward to this one guys!! Keep it up ;D
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Klax75

I like how you have so much land out side of the track. Really can take away from the feeling when you see just the tarmac and then floating space. Especially on long tracks.

Grooveski

Cheers guys.
For all it's a lot of work there's something entertaining about it. 

Sometimes modding's a chore(fixing unwelded models does my head in) but this is my first scratch build so I'm learning all the time.  Tonight's job was pretty good fun(and not just because of the homebrew).  With upping the target poly count I could afford to round off the verges a bit, it's just a mouse click and a quick tangent drag at each of the mid-verge points on the loft sections but it had an instant and rather satisfying effect on the model.

Was playing with poly counts while taking those grabs.  The first wireframe is around 25k(where I started for GP500), the next is up a couple of clicks on the path steps and one on the shape steps - that's the likely settings for the verge model and comes out at 56k.
Then the camber goes on.  I think 5 strips will to do(for less than an inch of camber on such a narrow track(and more importantly not a track where there's much spinning up and drifting going on)bringing the projected play area to 73k in all.  eek!

...which is only a bawhair over the guesstimate so I guess I shouldn't panic yet but it sure does look like an awful lot of polys.   ???

Worrying about poly counts is still a way away though.  Been round once for the verges and another to check the track widths(thanks again for the measurements nuovaic ;)).
Next time round is to add additional loft targets for bits where the verges have variances, then again to tweak the main spine where upping the path steps has highlightled slight kinks.
...and when I get to it I reckon Mount needs flattened and Mountside needs tightened a little still.
....and I still haven't even looked at Sheenes rise since butchering it's elevations the other night, it'll need a good rework.
....and all the while feeling guilty because really I should really be prepping TSOs.  Wouldn't want my shiny new skinner getting impatient. ;D

:)

P.S. BOBR6, you haven't on the offchance noticed a good pic that shows one of the corner boards have you?  They're at all the hairpins and the onboard views are all blurry, could do with seeing something we could guess a font from.