• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:22:14 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on February 15, 2015, 01:00:27 PM
Cant see from my region  :( really must get around to 'sorting' this issue  ::)

Try installing "Hola Unblocker".  Silly UK and American authorities think they can straight jacket internet usage. Lol

JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!  :P ;D

http://hola.org/

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 15, 2015, 03:48:23 PM
Try installing "Hola Unblocker".  Silly UK and American authorities think they can straight jacket internet usage. Lol

JOIN THE REVOLUTION!!  :P ;D
Unless UK and American authorities are behind Hola, of course :)

MaX.

doubledragoncc

YO Hawk baby you de man!!! I had not even bothered to think about there being a way around regions. Dang I got Pandora back

Love ya man

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Few attempts to install but now up and running - cool service - excellent video

Thanks for the tip  8)

Hawk

No probs guys. Glad to help.  ;)

@Max: I absolutely agree with you on that one Max. What governments like to portray in the public eye tends to be a totally different agenda to what they really want and do. They think we are all idiots. No wonder UKIP are doing so well. Straight no nonsense talking, and if they'll get us out of the European Union then they have my vote for sure.

Some software companies play this kind of game too, I'm sure of it.

Sorry for the off-topic comments, but had to go political there for a couple of sentences. LOL

Anyway sorry.... Back to topic.....  8)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk_UK on February 15, 2015, 11:57:02 PM
No wonder UKIP are doing so well. Straight no nonsense talking,
As far as I recall from my year in Scotland (btw I'll be up there next week for a week, gonna see the rugby w00t!): straight yes, no nonsense ... hmm, well ... occasionally :)

MaX.

Grooveski

Quote from: h106frp on February 15, 2015, 01:12:23 AM
Thanks to nouvaics excellent photos i have started to look for some textures, the control tower has had some dodgy paint jobs - should we leave 'as is' or touch them up?   It could do with a lick of paint to hide the old signwriting  ::) Personally quite like the rustic look  :) Left image is front, right image is podium side

How are you going to handle the tree details? The detail is great, and trees like this run along many of the embankments, must be a way to get them to look good :) This one is right on the track edge. I have seen the 2 planes at right angle tree model, but i am not sure it would work for these...

Rustic's fine by me - or tart it up - whichever you prefer.

I've been having a play with the tree growing program and starting to put together a bit of a model library. Looks like a decent looking game model for a single large tree is about 4-5k polys.

I don't know what the GPB engine will push but reckon 500k for the whole model sounds like a nice round number.  That's 4 times what GP500 can handle and just under F1 2012's kinda count(F1 runs a 3d crowd as well on top of that).

So 50k for the land, maybe 70k or so for the play area, 30k for fences and another 100k for buildings and clutter.
....still leaves half the budget for trees and hedges. 
Say we give 50k to hedges and 200k to trees, of which 50k are low poly (2,4,6 and 8 plane) and 150k high poly.
That's 30 trees worth.
Which sounds about right.  Skyrim is probably pushing that in the immediate vicinity before it LODs down.

Which begs the question - Does GPB handle scenery LOD models?  Perhaps I'm underestimating how much detail we can throw at it.

...but yeah, to start with we'll make up 30 of the most prominant trees and stick to low poly for the rest(if we end up going mental we'll need low poly ones there anyway).  Should be able to lift bark textures from nuovaic's photos and at the bases could perhaps join the trunk to the verge, skin that section in the photo, zbrush a little detail into the model then tweak the UV to stretch the usable bit of image round the roots.  It's a bit of a cheat, might do the job though.

I'll be honest, the trees seem a long way off yet.

Gathered up a nice selection of fence models while rummaging for trees.  Have also progressed the land model, it's near time to introduce it to the loft.   :)

h106frp

I have chopped out quite a few textures now including;

Control tower sides
Podium rear, 2 sides and front
Control tower area wood and metal fence - tileable
Scoreboard
Sheene memorial - front and sides
Bridge 2 - sides
Bridge 3 - started but a lot of work its a fiddly thing to do

Still going.. but i have started  :)

BOBR6 84

good stuff  :)

as its wheelie wednesday....  ;)

h106frp

February 19, 2015, 12:07:04 AM #24 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 12:11:27 AM by h106frp
Love it, we want a bumpy track and wheelies ;D

@Grooveski
When you make a skin for a 'see through' structure how do you deal with the internal visible bits? Should the skin just be the external face or should it be as if you can see inside it?

i.e. i was trying this bit (bridge1span);

Along the top the internal detail of the back face is visible in perspective, should i just paint the front face external detail? Can you project out and unwrap the top cage so that we end up with a skin that 'drapes' over the structure like flattening a box or toilet roll tube out into a flat sheet? the current UV's seem to be projections as far as i can tell at the moment.

Thanks

doubledragoncc

Look at the way it has to be done H, the threads got split from open map to here

http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=1860.45

Scroll down too Grooveski's explanation

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Thanks, but i think i answered my own question while i was writing it ::) the UV will need to be re-done for this particular bridge (1) The 'tube' of the bridge sides and top will have to be 'un-rolled' for painting. Thing is i need the vertical (around the circumference) locations of the top long horizontal rails on the UV so that i know how tall to make this image. It only affects this first bridge, the rest can be normal projections :)

Still playing with the best way to do bridge 1 and 3, quite tricky to do but i think i'm developing a method that works :) I,m going to cut away all the mesh, trees etc from the structural steel, touch up the girder and then layer in new mesh from a stock image.

Probably a lots of painting in due to the original images having a lot of long shadows but this cannot really be avoided with their locations. Not sure what to do about the colour, in long shots the steelwork logs a darkish green, the photos close in seem to be a bluish green due to the amount of moss and lichen - hard to tell what would look best in the model ???

Grooveski

February 19, 2015, 10:25:59 AM #27 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 10:41:26 AM by Grooveski
The UV is already set up the way your asking for.  See how the one part of the template....

...is repeated five times over the top of the frame.
So have half a frame width along the top of that part and half along the bottom with the part just being a single strip of panels.   ;)

Once the skin's on I'll run a subpatch on the tube that'll round off the frame. 
Could have built it rounder in the first place but there would have been more polys to arrange in the UV map that way.

You'll find most of the skins on the models I give you are noted in one way or another so although you'll be using the eps templates it might be worth loading in the temp skin on a background layer just so you can see what goes where.  Last night after finishing up the monument model I painted on little coloured dots to check that everything was where it should be - I do that a lot. 
(...and if I've used text it's likely been to check that the parts were the right way round)

P.S.  Gotta thank nuovaic again for the photos.   ;D  What a difference it makes having background images for modeler.

h106frp

February 19, 2015, 11:00:06 AM #28 Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 04:50:39 PM by h106frp
Ah, that clears it up, what is .eps?

Nice thing about using nuovaic's photos as a base is we should both be working to the same scale  :) That monument looks sharp  8)

Just tried with the sides part of bridge 1, my picture crop indicates the bridge is about twice as long as the current UV.

Grooveski

February 21, 2015, 05:13:29 PM #29 Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 05:18:30 PM by Grooveski
Quote from: Grooveski on February 01, 2015, 07:57:58 PM
Have a play with opening the eps versions.  You have to specify your canvas size in pixels when you open it.
EPS is the best format for templates.  A crisp line on a transparent background at any resolution.  Very usable. 

Quote from: Grooveski on February 02, 2015, 07:19:35 PMIf you deform images to squeeze them into bits of template they'll go into the game and the game will just deform them back out again.  It's probably not going to be very noticable if it's just a tiny amount but it's not doing any good and is a bit pointless, more work for you and anyone who may want to change things later.
Better for you to lay the parts roughly into place on the template and send it back saying "adjust UV".  I'll then load what you've sent into the background of the UV window and drag the parts and points around until the UVmap fits the skin.

;)

If you want to try adjusting the UV yourself it wouldnt take me long to talk you through it.  Modeler can look a bit daunting if you're not used to 3d programs but adjusting an existing UV map ain't like blowing up planets.   It's making the maps in the first place that's a footer, tweaking them is a doddle - you're just dragging points around.

Had a decent go at the TSOs last night.  That's the base models for all the nearby buildings about ready for UVing...

...and a variety of clutter models sourced that can be tweaked to suit(benches, bins and the likes).
Had a eureka moment in the tree texture hunt.  Golf games!  :D

Have started adding some of the repeating textures and trying out environmental maps on them.  Liking what I'm seeing.  Wouldn't be surprised if we end up with low-res spec maps for everything, norm maps for everything closeby and I'll be hustling the bike modders for the best way to deal with glass(there'll be a reflection map involved no doubt but whether it's applied to a transparent bmp or alpha'd tga... ?
...my money's on the latter).

Downloaded a couple of the max track models from the mega site and it looks like pure black is GPBs bitmap transparency colour(so don't use rgb 0,0,0 for anything else in the skins).

Also squeezed in a few laps of the A1Ring and didn't even fall off that often.  Hopefully by the time testing comes along I'll be able to do more than wobble out the pits and crash at the first hairpin.   :P

Oh - the pits.  Oliver's Mount uses a figure-of-eight pit arrangement that'd be pretty cool as you'd get to finish your last flying lap and could set a time on your cold tyre lap too.  I've no idea if GPB will allow that(cross line - enter/exit pits - cross line again  ??? ) so we may have to reverse the pit direction and go with a normal layout.