• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:19 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Oliver's Mount

Started by Grooveski, February 06, 2015, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myst1cPrun3

Road racing is set to return this year to OM, so this track nearing a release is always a bonus too  8)
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/march/road-racing-returns-to-olivers-mount-in-2019

Grooveski

March 06, 2019, 12:16:52 PM #301 Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:19:12 PM by Grooveski
That's great news.  :) 
...about racing starting again - not the bit about the track nearing a release - that bit sounds optimistic.  ;D

Less so today than yesterday though.  Yesterday's step 1 was selecting all the hedges I'd done the night before and punching delete.
Between some poor UVing and having a bit of a funny shape - was going for the 'flattop' look that they cut them to at OM 70-odd percent of the time.
...but it wasn't really doing it for me - hence delete-all.   ::)

Last nights efforts are looking better.  Only done memorial and mountside so far and they still have that obviously-an-extrusion look but as base geometry goes - yeah, looking kinda hedgy.

...and should look even hedgier with the shaders applied.

Myst1cPrun3

All these teaser shots are keeping me on the hedge with anticipation...  ;) ;)

connorhall70

Quote from: Grooveski on March 06, 2019, 12:16:52 PM
That's great news.  :) 
...about racing starting again - not the bit about the track nearing a release - that bit sounds optimistic.  ;D

Less so today than yesterday though.  Yesterday's step 1 was selecting all the hedges I'd done the night before and punching delete.
Between some poor UVing and having a bit of a funny shape - was going for the 'flattop' look that they cut them to at OM 70-odd percent of the time.
...but it wasn't really doing it for me - hence delete-all.   ::)

Last nights efforts are looking better.  Only done memorial and mountside so far and they still have that obviously-an-extrusion look but as base geometry goes - yeah, looking kinda hedgy.

...and should look even hedgier with the shaders applied.

looks sick m8
GanjaGod

Grooveski

OK is about how I'd rate them.
Livable with for the moment. 

I'd like to end up with a recently cut look, more branch than leaf, able to see the silhouette of fences through them and an impression of real depth.
...but all that's a lot of work, requires a bunch of skins that I don't have yet and sounds more like a v0.7 job than a v0.2 one.  ;D

Got about halfway round the football fields last night with the hedges - another session might see them all planted.

Grooveski

March 11, 2019, 05:57:53 PM #305 Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 03:43:00 AM by Grooveski
90-odd-k of hedges planted.

...which once would have seemed like a lot but since upgrading my computer the targets have shifted.   ::)  Breezed past the old 500k target ages ago.  It's at just over 900k just now and my new thinking is to try to keep it under two million polys or thereabouts.

Really I should be getting back to the trees and bushes now but I think the track's about ready for some third-party junk.  :)

Myst1cPrun3

Looks great so far. can't wait for a v0.2. You using 3ds max 2010?

Grooveski

Used MAX for making the main road and I do the final exports from it but on the whole I work in Lightwave 2018.
Tracks are pretty simple so it doesn't really matter what modeller is used.  If I save out from lightwave as an OBJ, MAX will load it right up and it'll be ready for export straight away.

Other folk do the same - you can model in Blender and I think it's fbx that h uses to get stuff to MAX.  Hawk uses Maya which is another Autodesk program and talks perfect MAX no matter what format you use.....

So if you're asking from a 'what program should I learn?' point of view - the answer is "whichever one you fancy".   ;D
MAX does a lot of things better than other programs but has a steeper learning curve, Lightwave is about as simple as a modeling program can be but you can end up slogging through jobs manually that MAX could have automated.
....and in-between there are probably 20 or 30 other programs that'll get you to the same result.

Myst1cPrun3

Fair enough. Need to get back into it.
Your track looks amazing tho, looks like at least a 0.5v rather than a 0.2,

Grooveski

Cheers.   :)
Tons still to do though.  I can see the work in another 9 versions pretty easily.   ;)

In reality I just release stuff when I get sick of the sight of it and decide to have a break but in some fantasy land whre I was serious about the project the roadmap would be something like...

V0.1 - Everything working well enough to race.
V0.2 - Enough TSOs that it's starting to look the part.
V0.3 - Vegetation filling out nicely.
V0.4 - Track work - missing white lines and start positions, drains, still a couple of bumps that could do with a tweak, tidy up the link section at Farm.
X0.5 - More TSOs and Vegetation.  Get the hedges looking good.
V0.6 - Landscape - distant buildings, trees, hedges, etc.
V0.7 - Reskin.  Split the grass into areas for different skins(forest floor, long grass, short grass, etc).  Maybe double map some areas if it doesn't trash the FPS too much.  Replace any shaders that aren't doing their part.
V0.8 - 3D grass(for all the different areas)
V0.9 - Puddles
Final release - Assorted tweaks.

Grooveski

March 16, 2019, 12:23:46 AM #310 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:26:18 AM by Grooveski
130k of clutter added.

That's half a paddocks worth of cars/caravans/ambulances, some tents and stuff, placeholder marshalls and I'm round to just after Memorial with the camera crew.

Taking a few liberties with the cameramen but probably just doing what the real camera teams would like to do - in reality the whole lap isn't covered.
...but with a truckload of scaffold it could be :) and that's what I'm doing.

Have also gone through the marshall positions again.  A tweak, tweak here and a tweak, tweak there...
...adjusting the model to the marshalls as much as the other way around.

Grooveski

March 16, 2019, 12:56:03 AM #311 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 02:03:54 PM by Grooveski
Oh yeah - turned on smoothing for the grass as well.
Of the however many hours of tinkering that's been done in the last week that's probably the most noticable 20 seconds worth.   ;)

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Grooveski

More liberties taken with the start lights.   :-[

In the real world it's a dude with a flag that starts the race...
...but sod it - I want lights. 

Figured I'd point out the deviation to save anyone else having to.
Exporting V0.2 now.  Should be up later.