• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Entry level gfx card

Started by ptrshpt, February 20, 2015, 07:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptrshpt

February 20, 2015, 07:50:26 AM Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:29:00 PM by ptrshpt
-

HornetMaX

Rule #1 of PC building: write your budget down, everything else comes after.

How much do you want to put in it ?

MaX.

HornetMaX

Quote from: ptrshpt on February 20, 2015, 08:04:15 AM
Aroud $70. I'm thinking about Geforce GT 730 2GB DDR3 128bit.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-2.html

You should try to get the 64bit GDDR5 one. Otherwise, it's a solid card for its price.

As you're tight on budget, I'd evaluate the possibility to buy a second hand card.
A lot of people tend to swap GPUs a lot, even to gain 5% of performance: because of that, second-hand prices are usually interesting.

MaX.

Boerenlater

Get something like a 2nd handed AMD 6870. Should be easy for 70 bucks.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

h106frp

Save a bit more and get a GTX750Ti easily the best value card for gaming, newer maxwell core means you have no PSU worries and it will run quite happily on a 400 Watt PSU and need PCIe bus power only (same as i use, check the power and cable  requirements of any card you buy, some are ridiculous and will either throttle performance or stress your PSU out, may also need multiple 6 pin connections :(). Also Nvidias driver support is better and has less issues with OpenGL compared to AMD. These cards are around the £100/

HornetMaX

As h106frp, I'd have a slight preference for nvidia (despite having myself only AMD GPUs in the last 8 years). The only thing that bothers me a bit about nvidia at the moment is g-sync (proprietary).

The 6870 is OK, but it requires a lot of power compared to more recent cards. Avoid. When I said a secondhand card, I meant "get a recent second hand card".

750Ti is good, or stick to the 730 2gb 64bit.

MaX.

doubledragoncc

You should definately make it a GTX class card. Even lower level GTX are quicker and have better support than other cards. Your very low on RAM and need to think on that too. Just take your time to really watch some reviews to get an idea on performance of each card.

Hope you find what ya need

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.