• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Direct lean - what value do you use ?

Started by HornetMaX, April 07, 2015, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which value of Direct Lean do you use ? (check in into the in-game settings, input 1 page)

Between 0% and 24%
17 (53.1%)
Between 25% and 49%
2 (6.3%)
Between 50% and 74%
2 (6.3%)
Between 75% and 100%
11 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

HornetMaX

Quote from: Klax75 on April 07, 2015, 10:33:24 PM
Mine is set to 0% but with DST it doesn't seem to do anything.
Well it shouldn't do anything, so that's normal to me. Only non-DS should be affected.

MaX.

CapeDoctor

20% works good for me (keyboard, for now, lol)  :)

Vini

I have 100% but it feels like 0% because of some issue.

CapeDoctor

i have since discovered that i can get much better performance out of a bike by adjusting the direct lean for individual tracks - it all depends how twisty/flowing the track is, but i'm finding that where on one track i like it at about 50%, on another track it works much better at 10%.
anyone else found that tweaking it for individual tracks makes a difference?

HornetMaX

I'm not sure it's a good idea to change it that much from one track to the other: direct lean is something that your brain gets accustomed to (at whichever level you like it). So changing it may just be confusing and make you lose that all precious sensitivity you get over time (and that you you lose as soon as you stop playing for 1 week).

MaX.

CapeDoctor

i agree, it is very confusing doing it this way, but i get much better results, much quicker, doing it this way.
anyway, it's still an ongoing experiment -
let me use the track i am currently trying as an example - Suzuka NDS - prior to this track, i was using direct lean at 20% across the board, but when i tried this track, i found that i was constantly having to adjust my lean mid-corner, which results in a kind of 'up and down' wobbling, and of course the instability that goes with it - i lean a little, and want to just bring it up a millimeter, and on 20% setting, that was impossible - the rider/bike would sit up too much each time, resulting in really bad corner speed and worse stability.
then i dialled the lean down to 10%, and immediately had the exact response/behavior i was looking for. no more having to make constant mid-corner lean adjustments.
well, that's an example, but as i said, still experimenting across the board with settings - i've only been in this game for not quite 3 months now, so still finding my feet compared to most of the older hands around ;)

HornetMaX

Direct Lean is a funky animal, it boils down to personal preference: some like it low, some like it high (for me it's high). But from what you're saying in your suzuka example, I can only conclude you're being not delicate enough with the lean input so when using higher direct lean you have too much bike reaction.

That's the very thing that is tricky with direct lean: if you start with low levels of direct lean, it encourages you to be not so gentle on the lean input (especially to pick the bike up). Of course when you move to higher direct lean, you find this to work badly.

But the opposite is also true: if you start with higher direct lean it encourages you to be very gentle with the sticks. Of course when you move to lower levels of direct lean, you find this to work badly.

That's why I say that your brain gets accustomed to a given level of direct lean.

MaX.