• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:52:45 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Racing rules / Points of reference

Started by JJS209, April 30, 2015, 11:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJS209

April 30, 2015, 11:10:17 PM Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:16:29 AM by JJS209
Hello racers,

i thought a little about the last races and a way to increase our fun and a solution to avoid further misunderstandings.
So i was looking for other online racing communitys and if they have championships with rulebooks or something like that.
I found some good papers and threads in different forums and disscussed a selection with my mate hawk; a big "thank you!" here.

Noone should think that this is to discipline or to dictate anything to anyone, more like a field guide:

Napalm Nick

Great work, thank you.

Everything covered which forms the basis of sportsmanship and common racing sense, in black and white leaving no 'grey areas'. I hope most Race Organisers can adopt these rules as the GPB standard.

And an unwavering decision-maker for any Racing Board of Directors.

"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Klax75

7.2 I'd just like to add it works both ways, the faster rider needs to show respect too. Many times they will try to pass you without thinking and more expect you to pull off and park. They are faster and know they can take you, but yet don't wait for a clean pass on you so you can give them room.

Napalm Nick

Yes, lapping riders become subject to Article 5.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

Napalm Nick

Actually when I am being lapped I try to raise my arm at the place I am yielding specifically for the faster rider to overtake, to make it very clear I have seen him coming and I want him to pass now - lessening the danger for all. Usually before he gets too close and on any straight.

Appreciate this is not always possible but it is a gesture that everyone understands in this situation I'm sure.

Maybe this would be a suggestion to consider for the rules?

7.3  Lapped riders should always TRY to raise their arm to signal if about to yield position to a lapping rider; especially if slowing and/or moving off line.

Hawk

Quote from: Klax75 on May 01, 2015, 06:47:17 AM
7.2 I'd just like to add it works both ways, the faster rider needs to show respect too. Many times they will try to pass you without thinking and more expect you to pull off and park. They are faster and know they can take you, but yet don't wait for a clean pass on you so you can give them room.

I understand what your saying there Klax.  ;)

Faster riders should understand that the situational awareness in GPB is not good(mainly because of the lack of sound cues when other bikes are close-by). But yes. Faster riders should wait till there is a clear and safe opportunity to pass before making the attempt to do so.
But at the same time, the rider who is about to be passed should make sure that they don't make unusual and unpredictable moves while entering the corners and going through the corners in their attempts to let the faster rider pass; this will make it easier for a faster rider to make the pass on the corners if they decide to do so.
Very good point Nick! A rider who is ready to be passed or making a manoeuvre to allow a faster rider through should raise their arm. I know this is what you do Nick, and also Klax does the same. If all backmarkers did this then it would make passing very simple. But it's not always easy to know if it's a race position you need to be defending or actually have a race leader behind you(The blue flag marshals definitely need refining so they don't start waving blue flags too early).

I know it's a natural thing to do for a slower rider to want to move out of a faster riders way, but often this will lead to confusion as to exactly what the slower rider has in mind: Is he moving out of the way? Is he just taking an unusual racing line due to lack of experience and maybe cut back into me if I go up the inside? Etc, etc......

Personally I think the best thing for a slower rider to do is to just stay on the racing line through corner systems and not to make unusual manoeuvres, and then when they get onto the straight sections to raise their arm and move over without slowing down too much to allow the faster rider through. This allows a faster rider to either take an outside line around corners or wait till they exit onto the straight sections before attempting a sensible pass.

It's a difficult one because other than being under a blue flag situation, the slower rider has every right to race the faster rider for position, even if they manage to slow the faster rider down to keep them behind. So were you get two riders were one is faster but not greatly faster than the other, frustration's creep in and riders start to make silly pass attempts. But that's racing and in this situation I think the only solution would be one crash and out to make riders realise that they have to be careful in their passing attempts into and through corner systems. Same as in real life.... Well with the exception of Marquez who just tries to plough his way through other riders rears and comes a cropper. Hehe!  ;D

But race leaders and faster riders should know that they do not have a right of way to a racing line even if the slower rider is under the blue flag. If you are behind then it's your responsibility to pass in a safe and responsible way.
A rider under a blue flag is only responsible for allowing you to pass when it's safe for him to do so. It doesn't give faster riders the right of way.

Hawk.

andrea.fiorelli

Great work JJS!!! Congratulation, great work!!!