• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:13:23 PM

Tips for crashing tracked

Started by pleclair, May 04, 2015, 09:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pleclair

Well, you are right, GPB suffers less than WRS... but WRS suffers highly in term of content.  There is nothing for it.

But can you point me at the best looking track there is for gpb at the moment, if its not mugello?

I haven't tried many, cause most of the tracks I see in the gpbikes track folder, are tracks I don't know about.  So I don't want to learn to control an entirely new vehicle, physics, on a new track as well.  So I tried those I knew a bit. 

And those are:  Nordschleife, Silverstone, Laguna Seca, Mugello. 

The rests of the track, I either know by name, or might have raced on them in other games, where I didn't had the chances to choose my tracks (like in games like shift) to progress.  But I'm rather picky with the tracks I like. 

As you can see from those 4 I mentioned, I like one that flows well, and you aren't forced into 1st and 2nd gear every 2 corners.  So most recent modern f1 circuit, I don't really like.  Silverstone being an exception, I dig the triple S corner a lot, and the fast right hander.

pleclair

Well, I'm not saying that victoria is a touristic attraction, but it certainly looks pretty good for what it is.  There is no mountains or anything fancy around, but what is there is good.  The texturing is pretty good, and the grass that changes colors near track is a nice touch too.  There isn't much to say about it really.

Althought, it's not my type of track, I don't like the layout, so I don't really race it.

The kart tracks are pretty good too, and those I tried, I quite liked too :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: pleclair on May 05, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
Well, you are right, GPB suffers less than WRS... but WRS suffers highly in term of content.  There is nothing for it.
I'm gonna shatter hearts here, but WRS IMO is dead. If not dead, it's at least under intensive care, just because Piboso personally cares about it (and maybe rightly so).
French would call this "acharnement therapeutique" :)

Given the fierce competition it faces (AC, rF, iRacing, Pcars) it's hard to justify the effort to be put in to bring it remotely on par ...

Quote from: pleclair on May 05, 2015, 02:49:20 PM
But can you point me at the best looking track there is for gpb at the moment, if its not mugello?
NC - Suzuka, visually is probably one of the best,  Paul Ricard too.

MaX.

pleclair

May 05, 2015, 04:23:10 PM #18 Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:24:57 PM by pleclair
Yes you do :)  Heartbreaker!   :'(

You are right, the competition in the cars market is certainly fierce.  But when you know where you stand, it's easier to make yourself a position. 

AC and pCars are in a league of their own.  They traded a bit of simulation for more eye candy.  And that's what the Gran Turismo fans are after.  And they get better physics at the same time.  In some regards, rF2 and AC are not really competing with each others, as they are targeting largely different audience. 

By the look of things, WRS is aiming to follow in the footsteps of rFactor and all gmotor engine based game.  More simulation, less eye-candy.  So knowing this, and the fact that many sim addict accept the fact that the graphics needs to be step down a notch, then it's not that far off what it should be competing with. 

Also, the reason why it lags behind is because all the different titles uses a different version of the base engine.  If that was put as one, it would help development of all titles, since there would be only 1 engine to deal with. 

But its main problem atm, hurting sales, is the content.  Not the game itself.  The FFB/physics might not be what they should be, and kart pro certainly looks to have an edge, but it could certainly be enjoyable, given there was a lot more content for it.  At the moment, its barely worth playing it, since the tracks are non-existent, and cars will behave like the default one.  So that will likely put off many potential buyers.

Having the game as one, would also help increase sales as well.

Sure it would certainly need an AI, but seeing what Piboso can do, I'm sure this won't be a mystery to him.

But given the fact that dirt simulation and terrain deformation is coming in WRS.. this is a huge plus... and WRS is far from dead imo... this will likely spark some new interests when it happens :)  If we can make rally tracks.. it would be awesome.. but for this, we need no segment limit, and some more optimization to have such a track...cause i doubt the current engine could support 15-20km of tricky roads with plenty of trees, houses, etc...

I'm sure WRS could find a place among the hearts of those who play gmotor based games.. 

I would certainly play it if I could have more cars and the nordschleife :)  All I ask :) 

Also, having one base game, would mean that those who haves more than 1 content package, would be able to race cars/bikes/karts/mxbikes together.  Then, I'm sure that will generate a lot of spotlight on every sim racing website... and sales would skyrocket on steam.

EDIT:  I'm gonna try those two tracks today, and I'll let you know!  Thanks for the heads up, it might have taken some time before I would have downloaded these by myself, cause I only raced the suzuka circuit in games like shift, and I don't know paul ricard at all.  Never heard the name either.

HornetMaX

If I recall correctly, next WRS beta should open up modding, just like in GPB. But even with that, I doubt WRS will take off. GPB has tons of content and, despite much less competion than WRS, it hasn't yet really taken off (if anything, number of online players is going slowly down compared to the past). Content can be built quickly once modding is open, thanks to people like you. But the game needs to have the basis cleaned up: some of the current issues are just show-stoppers for many many players.

BTW, we already have the nord for both GPB and WRS I think. You can find it (with essentially all the tracks made for GPB/WRS) here: https://mega.co.nz/#F!eNVSADpZ!a6u3dBMlFT8zw5x7K68eVg
(dedicated post: http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=45.0). Not sure about the quality of that track, I don't particularly enjoy that kind of tracks (and I'm not much into cars neither).

MaX.

pleclair

Yeah I know, it was the very first track (except victoria) I tried.. and it made my eyes bleed :P  I never seen this version before.. but the com8 version for rfactor 1 already is much much better.

That's actually the worse I've seen so far.

Yeah it does seems that the engine needs some cleanup, etc.. but if these issues can get sorted, and what we have now, works without glitches... as it is, if the game was made with 1 engine, and with dlcs for the categories, and released on steam, I'm sure it would be among the top seller for a few days after release... that would bring some real money in the game.  Steam is a must for small developers.. and should be an eventual target.  Otherwise, it might never take off as you say.  People are becoming more paranoid by the minute, and a lot of people, like to buy their game thru steam for the security, among other reasons.  The devs that sells only on their website will sell less, even if the same traffic was to visit this site, than those who would see it on steam.

But by all means, a steam release must never be rushed, cause the community can be unforgiving over there.

That's sad tho... cause the fact that dirt: rally and RIDE have both been recently released on steam, if wrs/gpb was there, it might get quite some spotlight from the deceived ride buyers, and/or dirt.  Plus, a lot of people likes to see what else is available.  And will buy both to compare themselves.

PiBoSo

The plan is to make WRS the best simulator on the market.
Even if this goal is reached, will it "take off"? Of course not. Unfortunately, even among self-proclaimed "simmers", what really count are fancy supercars, post-processing effects and AI, not physics and simulation.
It's worth doing anyway, just for the fun of the journey.
Peace out.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

HornetMaX

Well, everything contributes to the global appreciation, even for people that put physics first.

It seems to me that WRS will have hard time competing with hardcore sim titles (iRacing, rFactor) and hard time competing with less sim-oriented titles (AC, Pcars).

But I agree for the "fun of the journey" part: sometimes one wants to do something just for the sake of it. If it also appen he/she has the luxury of actually doing it, then why not ...

MaX.

dibu

It doesn't really matter but I'll be back when WRS beta6 is out. I only paused because someone detected the handbrake cheat and it doesn't make sense for me to drive hotlaps if cheating is possible.

To be honest I also bought PCars some days ago and I'm just downloading the preload. :o I don't have any illusions about the sim character of this game but I want the laser-scanned Nordschleife, Hockenheim GP, the 250cc karts and the GT3 Porsche.

Yes, WRS will have a hard stand against the other car sims because its lack of contents but I still believe in it and I'm happy that PiBoSo didn't stop development. Hopefully one of the professional racing teams will detect it some day.

WALKEN

Quote from: PiBoSo on May 05, 2015, 08:39:46 PM

The plan is to make WRS the best simulator on the market.
Even if this goal is reached, will it "take off"? Of course not. Unfortunately, even among self-proclaimed "simmers", what really count are fancy supercars, post-processing effects and AI, not physics and simulation.
It's worth doing anyway, just for the fun of the journey.
Peace out.

A person of integrity!  Love it! 
Help me, help you!

CapeDoctor

hi folks, i know this is an old thread, but i was looking for a recent thread where there was discussion of a possible 64 bit executable version of GPB for the future?
i could only find this thread in a search, so just went for it.
i just wanted to state for the record, for PiBoSo.
if you make a 64-bit version of GPB, i will gladly pay for another license. gladly.
if more people make this pledge, maybe it can motivate you a little more (not that you need motivation, but a little extra cash always helps, no?)

;D