• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Add native support for EDTracker

Started by h106frp, June 02, 2015, 07:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

EDTracker - a simple low cost device that performs head tracking in 3DOF without the need for cameras.
https://edtracker.org.uk/
EdTracker - natively emulates a standard HID joystick device.

Could you possibly add support for analogue joystick axis to be used for Freelook/headlook  in the options ?

Workarounds using 3rd party software to emulate a freetrack device appear to have been complicated by the emergence of a second, and it would appear incompatible freetrack protocol  (FaceTrackNoIR).

Thank you.

PiBoSo

"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

h106frp

PiBoSo

What's the output range of EdTracker?
180 degrees each side for yaw, pitch and roll?

h106frp

Native:
Yaw is 360!
Pitch is +-90
Roll is 360!

Looking at joystick values it rolls around when it reaches the axis limit for yaw and roll.

i.e
Yaw - look left or right
0 to -90 then goes to +90 back to 0.
0 to +90 then goes to -90 back to 0.

Practical maximum values for single monitor are probably +-40 Left and right and +-20 up and down. Would be more with triple monitor set up

The EDtracker host also allows you to adjust sensitivity and linear or exponential response.

PiBoSo

Quote from: h106frp on June 08, 2015, 04:52:29 PM
Looking at joystick values it rolls around when it reaches the axis limit for yaw and roll.

i.e
Yaw - look left or right
0 to -90 then goes to +90 back to 0.
0 to +90 then goes to -90 back to 0.

Do you mean 0 to -180 and then back from +180 to 0 when pressing the joystick to the left?

h106frp

Sorry, poorly explained, hope this is better.

Horizontal look left and right, yaw, X
joystick axis 0 (full left) to 100%(full right), centre position 50%
virtual head centre     =  joystick centred

virtual head 90deg left (looking over shoulder)   = joystick X 25%
virtual head 180deg left (looking behind)   = joystick X 0%
continuing this rotation i.e. virtual head 181deg left  = joystick X 100%

virtual head 90deg right(looking over shoulder)   = joystick X 75%
virtual head 180deg right (looking behind)   = joystick X 100%
continuing this rotation i.e. virtual head 181deg right= X joystick 0%

Vertical look up and down, pitch, Y
joystick axis 0 (bottom) to 100%(top), centre position 50%
virtual head 90deg up(looking straight up)  = joystick Y 25%
virtual head 90deg down(looking straight down)  = joystick Y 75% up

Vertical look rotate, roll, Z
joystick axis 0 (min) to 100%(ma), centre position 50%
virtual head 90deg anticlock(rotate head left)  = joystick Z axis 25%
virtual head 180deg anticlock(upside down)  = joystick Z axis 0%
virtual head 90deg clock(rotate head right)  = joystick Z axis 75%
virtual head 180deg clock(upside down)  = joystick Z axis 100%

Hope that is clearer  :o.

HornetMaX

So, in terms of joystick output (%) --> head rotations:

Axis
Movement
Joy 0%
Joy 50%
Joy 100%
Yaw
Left/Right
+180
Pitch
Up/Down
+180
Roll
Tilt
+180

It would be cool to have roll axis too, meaning that the automatic tilt compensation (tilt in the GPB settings) should be overridden by the Joystick axis (when assigned) and by the freetrack output (if present).

MaX.

PiBoSo

What is the name of the EDTracker joystick, as listed in GP Bikes calibration?

h106frp

It reports as in the calibration window as;

EDTracker EDTracker2

h106frp

June 17, 2015, 11:11:36 PM #10 Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 11:22:06 PM by h106frp
Bit of an extra ask but i have noticed the current rider head look appears to be limited to +-90 degrees.

With the experience of the precision of EDTracker it seems like a bigger view swing for the rider could be supported in game - would be nice for pit lane exiting to see further back up the track.

Is it possible to add a slider option to select maximum virtual head turn?

Thanks

Edit. Though i should check first and it may be an opentrack problem as it only appears to map +-100 degrees rotation to its output. Will this restriction disappear with native support?

It maps 0-100% rotation to 0-100% output  :-[

h106frp

Hello PB,

I notice that when head tracking is enabled 'tilt' is disabled, is it possible to re-enable the default tilt (auto 0-20 degrees) ?

Ed-tracker only has 2DOF enabled at the moment (although it has rotation in the hardware this is not brought out in the tracker interface) so you lose 'tilt' altogether. I think it would be unnatural to control tilt with the tracker directly anyway as you would really be wanting to counter the natural tilt caused by the bike by using the tracker, i.e. the tilt value would be the bike angle - tracker tilt.

Looks much more natural in first person with some tilt enabled - hope this is not too late for b7

Thank you.  :)

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on July 18, 2015, 09:08:20 AM

Ed-tracker only has 2DOF enabled at the moment (although it has rotation in the hardware this is not brought out in the tracker interface)
Uh, really ? You mean in the HID interface ? What if you go via OpenTrack ?

MaX.

h106frp

Well, i looked again and realized that it actually does appear in opentrack on the 'yaw' raw data, the normal axis appear as 'y' and 'z' -  ???
(Started working after i re-selected the source device drop down)

So a bit of messing with the axis translations and i have tilt in game - but the other observation still stands. You need the game to tilt with the bike and the tracker to counter the tilt to be correct for simulation.

At the moment you actually tilt your head in the wrong direction to create the tilt effect artificially. It feels very weird.

I think the best solution would be to allow either the normal current tilt with tracking (as some might find this is a better solution) and/or fully simulate the bike tilt / head tilt effect.

HornetMaX

I think I see what you mean, I'll have a look as soon as my EDTracker is here :)

MaX.