• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Victoria - Lukey heights and hairpin - Help please

Started by h106frp, July 13, 2015, 11:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

I am really struggling with the hairpin at the bottom of Lukey heights. Whatever i try seems to lead to a fall but the rest of the circuit i can run at a reasonable pace.

What is a good line/method for navigating through this slow corner?

Help please - its driving me mad

Napalm Nick

Ummm..... I have some success there going slower than the corner dictates, going wider all round and making sure I don't use max lean.

V Low Front Bump helps for me too. What bike are u using?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

JJS209

try not to close the throttle fully, hold it on a minimum level when in the hairpin and try not to go in full leanangle.

h106frp

Seems to agree with what i am finding by trial and error;

Very slow and try to have as much fork travel available as possible, little or no lean.

Bike does not seem to make much difference i just struggle on this particular corner. Mainly running the default 125 as i am trying to get the hang of keeping a steady line and flowing the turns together and keeping momentum which you must due to the lack of power from the 125. Maybe not the most stable bike but it takes the rest of the track in its stride (mostly  ;) ).

Having now viewed it from numerous (crash) angles i can see that it has a sort of 'bomb crater' profile on the inside line and i suspect this is causing the front suspension to bottom out. Also noticed that the tiny bit of track edge just before the exiting rumble strip (wider line) appears to be 'mined', even touching here has the bike over. Running diagonally across the apex seems the most repeatable solution so far (but crap).

Maybe i will have to park up on the grass and watch others take the corner while on the practice server, so if you notice a spectator hanging around Lukey heights later on tonight it's me  ::).  Horrible corner, just does not seem to flow as well as the rest of the track. Problem is the more i fall here the more nervously i take the corner on the next lap which is probably making it worse  >:(

Napalm Nick

Quote from: h106frp on July 13, 2015, 11:52:56 AM
Problem is the more i fall here the more nervously i take the corner on the next lap which is probably making it worse  >:(

Ha yes totally agree that happens to me - It was really getting to me so I pushed the feeling aside and forced myself to take those corners faster and it seems to help lol
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

JJS209

have you tried other bikes for example the ssp's?
i'm assuming you have the correct pressure on the tyres.

HornetMaX

The default 125 is probably the worst bike to use (which is a bit of a shame as it is the only one in the demo version of GPB ...).

Get another bike, don't lean to the maximum: if you are at max lean when the slope changes suddenly, you fall.
With the 990 I go in max lean and just release it a bit at the right time and then back at max lean.

If you use manual rider lean (or override), you can try to avoid max rider lean.

MaX.

h106frp

Quote from: JJS209 on July 13, 2015, 12:00:17 PM
have you tried other bikes for example the ssp's?
i'm assuming you have the correct pressure on the tyres.

Tried other bikes, problem still exists that i cannot find a realistic (too slow/no lean) way to tackle this corner.

No idea where to start on tire pressures, running default values.   :-[

Returned to Victoria/125 because it gave me so many problems when i started. Seem to have the other turns OK and they seem to be rideable in a realistic manner, just this one giving trouble  >:(

Vini

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on July 13, 2015, 02:00:31 PM
Tried other bikes, problem still exists that i cannot find a realistic (too slow/no lean) way to tackle this corner.
What do you call too slow ? Maybe you're just expecting to run through too fast.
When I (and others) say "don't use max lean" it means "use a bit less than max", for sure not "no lean".

MaX.

JJS209

Hawk

On the GP125 bike, try wacking your front springs up to max or near max setting, set a pretty low bump value(approx. 3) and max rebound value. It works around the Mallory Park hairpin but not sure it will work at the  Victoria section at the bottom of the hill?  It's not what should work but it does. Bike physics really need sorting out for this sort of issue on most bikes.  ;)

Let me know how it goes.  :)

Hawk.

h106frp

Thanks,

I will give these suggestions a try later  :)

@Max, by slow i mean i have tried everything from walking pace upwards. Not sure it is really speed related. If the bike resets to just before the turn it will generally run through the turn OK from the restart so it seems to be related to having (some) compression in the suspension after you have been braking downhill. Tried having the bike as settled as possible on corner entry but....

HornetMaX

Will have to give it a try with the 125 (lately I'm only using the 990, and not a lot anyway).
To me, it's just the usual issue of GPB not liking sloped/banked turns.

Easy thing to try: put manual rider lean and don't use it (i.e. leave the rider always sit in the middle). Is it any easier to take the turn ?

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Deffo worth a try of that Max-idea there.

I sometimes use Manual rider with Auto on too when I find a track with a troublesome corner, then during the turn I bring the rider a little more upright. For the rest of the lap auto does the job  ;D