• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:33:44 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

'14 rcv setup

Started by Vini, July 20, 2015, 02:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

July 20, 2015, 02:34:26 AM Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 11:58:13 PM by vin97
my usual rcv setup on basically all tracks

it works really well for me, so i thought i would share it.

this one is geared for sachsenring (i only adjust the final ratio).
you may change EB to 2 for tighter tracks (not for very tight ones like valencia, though) and possibly reduce the swing arm length to 0 (the bike will be slighty less stable in and out of corners but it will have the ability to take tighter lines).
oh and of course adjust the tyre pressure slighty if needed: ~1.5-1.55 (correction: 1.4) bar is the optimum operation temperature, so check it in the pits after a few fast laps. going below will result in less lean angle and overheating will results in uncorrectable slides.

.......copy it to my documents\piboso\profile\setup\..track...\..rcv folder...\setups  or so, you'll find it

CapeDoctor

appreciated, mate - thanks!  ;)

Sigvadir

Thanks a lot for sharing veeeery helpful!

I am struggling with weelie-ing, is there any common thing to do or just not going on the gas fully.
I have rider lean F/B on automatic but even I do it manually I have a lot of wheelieing with using your settings and actually throughout all my riding in GPBikes so far, still a novice so might do something wrong.

Any pointers are very welcome

Cheers

Vini

November 13, 2015, 12:15:07 AM #3 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:37:55 AM by vin97
i'd say you just need to practice your throttle finger :D
consistently doing small, controlled wheelies (even at lean angle) is probably one of hardest things to do in GP Bikes.

other than that, a longer swingarm of course helps but you could also try changing the swingarm pivot (i use 0 everywhere now but higher values might give you more control over wheelies iirc).

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on November 13, 2015, 12:15:07 AM
but you could also try changing the swingarm pivot (i use 0 everywhere now but higher values might give you more control over wheelies iirc).
Not on the rcv214 (nor the default 990), as the min and max value for the swing arm pivot point are identical (so putting 0, 1 or 2 makes absolutely no difference).

I'm not sure we have ever had any bike where changing the pivot had an effect.

From the rcv '14 (or 990) .geom:
Quotechassis_rsusp_min = 0, 0.434, -0.131
chassis_rsusp_max = 0, 0.434, -0.131
swingarmpivot_steps = 2

Vini

November 13, 2015, 11:12:23 PM #5 Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:23:52 PM by vin97
hmm, that is pretty strange because there is a difference for me (with all bikes).
higher value - more feel for the front (good for avoiding wheelies and wobbles)
lower value - more feel for the rear (good for accelerating)

would be a pretty crazy case of placebo effect for me

Napalm Nick

It would be interesting to check those figures on the Mod bike GP10 because people stated a difference in feel during that championship too.  Maybe all the setup garage stuff is mind tricks settings.  ???
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on November 13, 2015, 11:12:23 PM
would be a pretty crazy case of placebo effect for me
We had this plenty of times in the past, if that's of any consolation :)

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 13, 2015, 11:29:57 PM
It would be interesting to check those figures on the Mod bike GP10 because people stated a difference in feel during that championship too.  Maybe all the setup garage stuff is mind tricks settings.  ???
Easy to check: if the chassis_rsusp_min and chassis_rsusp_max  values in the .geom are identical, then there's no effect.

For the GP10, the values are marginally different (<1mm) but as swingarmpivot_steps is zero, there's only one possible setting for swing arm pivot (*).
Quotechassis_rsusp_min = 0, 0.465135, -0.131556
chassis_rsusp_max = 0, 0.464879, -0.132321
swingarmpivot_steps = 0

(*) Strangely when you load it the setting is at 1, but once you change it to 0, then it will stay at 0, no way to change it.

Napalm Nick

Yes I noticed that!! Man I wish I had said something now but what did I know! Gargh. At least it proves (?) that a difference IS felt on bikes with different pivot settings if the chassis_rsups contain different figures and have changeable steps.

Cool revelation and maybe something to play with on my mod bike  :)
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 13, 2015, 11:57:37 PM
Yes I noticed that!! Man I wish I had said something now but what did I know! Gargh. At least it proves (?) that a difference IS felt on bikes with different pivot settings if the chassis_rsups contain different figures and have changeable steps.
But we don't have any !!

Stout Johnson

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 14, 2015, 12:10:26 AM
But we don't have any !!
well it could for the strange setting of the GP10, if you load it with a setting of =1 (and do not change it) then it could actually have a different setting compared to =0 as the min and max settings are slightly different. But if it is only less than 1mm like you say, it most likely is a placebo again.
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Napalm Nick

But we don't have any !!

Lol what the feck! It was only 2 posts ago you told me all about it you senile old git  ::)

Quote from: HornetMaX on November 13, 2015, 11:50:01 PM

For the GP10, the values are marginally different (<1mm) but as swingarmpivot_steps is zero, there's only one possible setting for swing arm pivot (*).
Quotechassis_rsusp_min = 0, 0.465135, -0.131556
chassis_rsusp_max = 0, 0.464879, -0.132321
swingarmpivot_steps = 0

(*) Strangely when you load it the setting is at 1, but once you change it to 0, then it will stay at 0, no way to change it.

Stout is on the same page lol. But yes it can only be changed ONCE for some reason (possibly the default setting not equalling the 'only' setting).

Quote from: Stout Johnson on November 14, 2015, 08:10:58 AM
But we don't have any !!
well it could for the strange setting of the GP10, if you load it with a setting of =1 (and do not change it) then it could actually have a different setting compared to =0 as the min and max settings are slightly different. But if it is only less than 1mm like you say, it most likely is a placebo again.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on November 14, 2015, 08:27:29 AM
But we don't have any !!

Lol what the feck! It was only 2 posts ago you told me all about it you senile old git  ::)
I didn't. But that doesn't prove that I'm not an old senile git :)

If the GP10 had swingarmpivot_steps at 1 ion its .geom file then yes, but that's not the case.
The potential bug of GPB showing 1 when the setting should alway sstay at zero is not proof enough for me.

But in fact we don't need to prove anything: we already know the thing works.
If you wan to convince yourself, edit a geom of a bike, give it +/-5cm height variation (which is huge) in chassis_rsusp_min/max, give it swingarmpivot_steps = 2 (so ot has 3 settings: 0,1,2 corresponding to min/middle/max) and give it a try. I did that years ago and it was already working.

So for the 990 it's placebo effect. For the GP10 I don't know, due to the 0/1 bug.

Napalm Nick

Nice one Max thanks for the example. I would like to try it for myself for little other reason than it is interesting. No doubt the JamoZ will be rolling his eyes a bit  :D lol

HornetMaX

It is very interesting indeed. During Valencia's quali session at a stage you could clearly see a mechanic changing the pivot point on Vale's bike in the pits.

What I don't get is why on the 990 we have 2 steps in the pivot point but identical min/max points. It's confusing (and leads to the placebo effect situations).
It would be god if it was corrected: either 2 steps and different min/max, or no steps (0) and same min/max.

BTW, the recently announced (daily dev) "triple clamp offset" setting will be very interesting too.