• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Anybody able to take accurate measures of a tyre ?

Started by HornetMaX, August 06, 2015, 07:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on September 17, 2015, 09:45:38 AM
Wow! No wonder they are able to touch their elbows on the tarmac these days! Lol.

Have you got a pic of the old classic slick tyre profile to compare Max? I think it would really show the dramatic differences.  ;D
No I don't have it. But even if I had, probably I wouldn't show it to you, fearing you'll start ranting something like "bring back the old-school tyres, these were for real men"  ;D :D ;D

MaX.

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on September 17, 2015, 09:50:08 AM
Quote from: Hawk UK on September 17, 2015, 09:45:38 AM
Wow! No wonder they are able to touch their elbows on the tarmac these days! Lol.

Have you got a pic of the old classic slick tyre profile to compare Max? I think it would really show the dramatic differences.  ;D
No I don't have it. But even if I had, probably I wouldn't show it to you, fearing you'll start ranting something like "bring back the old-school tyres, these were for real men"  ;D :D ;D

MaX.

Haha!  ;D

Your right Max, I probably couldn't resist having just a little a dig at that. Lol

But actually I was thinking more about the bike "Tyre Modding" side of things: Is it possible to mod the tyre profiles for any era or are we fixed at one profile for all bikes at this time?
If we are to be able to get the different era bikes handling correctly then we need to be able to alter this profile for tyres surely.  :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk UK on September 17, 2015, 10:54:47 AM
But actually I was thinking more about the bike "Tyre Modding" side of things: Is it possible to mod the tyre profiles for any era or are we fixed at one profile for all bikes at this time?
If we are to be able to get the different era bikes handling correctly then we need to be able to alter this profile for tyres surely.  :)
Not possible at the moment in GPB, I think.

To be honest I have no precise idea on how important that would be in GPB: the grip vs angle characteristics are already "embedded" in the Pacejka model GPB uses.

Potentially, the tyre profile could be used to compute correctly the tyre-track contact point (varying with the lean angle), but I can't decide if that would be useful or if it's just overcomplicating the thing. If the tyre is assumed rigid (for tyre-track collision purposes) then maybe it makes sense.

MaX.

Hawk

I'd have thought the tyre profile would make a massive difference to the handling characteristics of the different bikes, especially the different characteristics from the Classic era to the modern era. Sounds to me like we definitely need to be able to MOD this tyre profile, hopefully for a future update, even possibly for beta 7 if it's not too much work or such of a problem to sort out? I just wish Piboso would talk to us about these kind of things and his plans for them if any. I mean surely this is a very valid query Piboso??

Hawk.