• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:10:58 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

NDS tracks - what can they do?

Started by Napalm Nick, August 06, 2015, 08:33:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napalm Nick

Having a bit of a revelation today with regards to Dynamic track stuff.

When it rains a dry track becomes wet with time.   Wow he's a genius I hear you say. OK I will reword it:

When it rains a dry NDS track becomes wet with time.

I wasn't expecting that - I had assumed a track changing its state from Dry to Wet was a Dynamic effect.

Now I wonder if the Wet NDS track will turn Dry in the Sun?

So I am a bit confused....what are the special qualities of a Dynamic surface? Is it JUST groove, drying LINES and MARBLES???

Thanks.  ???
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

My understanding: DS = rubber accumulating when dry, water going away when wet

NDS = none of the above

MaX.

Napalm Nick

The Silverstone NDS track I have on GPBOC 1 will get wet if I set track Dry and Rain AND (results just in - thanks Yan) the track will also DRY over time if set Wet and Sunny at start.

So Dynamic Track gives in addition to this: groove and marbles, as suspected and when you say "water going away when wet" a more accurate description would be a "drying line caused by the bikes" , because water will go away with time in the sun Dynamic or not.

Seems Non Dynamic should be called Slightly Dynamic ?  8)

Amazing, how have I got this far and not realised this ?
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Right, drying other time may be easy as it doesn't depend on bikes passing on the specific part of the track.

As often, a few words from the boss would explain this without trying to guess from testing.

MaX.

Napalm Nick

So, after much thought from a Netcoding Deficient Simpleton (NDS), and taking into account recent successful Wet weather races on NDS tracks and unsuccessful everything races on Dynamic surface (DS) tracks........

I want to make this statement:

"The loss of synchronisation during Dynamic track racing must be caused by the distribution of Dynamic feature data (dry/wet groove, marbles), between clients. IE: the netcode for the sharing of this specific information is flawed"

No doubt PiB is already all over this as an idea of course. Sometimes its worth a non coding geezer saying it as he sees it. A fresh insight as such.

yan24

With the track NDS the circuit dried on all the width and does not dry that on the passage of the bike.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on August 07, 2015, 09:58:17 AM
No doubt PiB is already all over this as an idea of course. Sometimes its worth a non coding geezer saying it as he sees it. A fresh insight as such.
KRP beta14 already include some "optimizations"on track dynamic surface affecting netcode. They were scheduled for GPB beta7 too (http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2217.msg34276#msg34276).

MaX.

Napalm Nick

Yes I see. So we hope the 'optimisations' are/include the netcode cure  8)

Quote from: yan24 on August 07, 2015, 11:39:54 AM
With the track NDS the circuit dried on all the width and does not dry that on the passage of the bike.

Yes Yan you are correct - the drying of the racing line by the passage of the bike (drying Line or in effect a "Wet groove") is a Dynamic feature, whereas the general drying of the track is not.