• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:36:58 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Opensource headtracker using mems gyros

Started by h106frp, May 25, 2015, 11:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

I am thinking about getting this nice item. In fact I am even thinking about getting 2 of them. My plans would be to use 1 for head movements and 1 for rider lean inputs. In addition with my plans for a neatly working steering system, I would then have the possibility to go DST.

Does anyone have experience of using 2 of these headtrackers at the same time? Does anyone have experience of using one for rider lean inputs?

Quote from: HornetMaX on July 15, 2015, 09:45:01 AM
Did you try it as input device ? I.e. do control something like rider lean or even bike lean ?

MaX.
Have you had some experience on this in the meantime MaX?
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

@Stout: no, haven't tried that yet (my GPB motivation is low at the moment, I'm in passive wait mode :) ).

In order to use one EDTracker for rider lean or bike lean you'll surely need something like Joystick Gremlin (see http://forum.piboso.com/index.php?topic=2865.0), because you will need to tweak the response curves precisely (GPB features in that area are a bit too light).

Using it for bike lean may be a bit problematic if you don't have a mechanical lock: once I had a gyrometer based wheel (just to give an idea, imagine steering holding your smartphone between your hands) and one of the problems with that is that you don't know when you're at max angle (as there's no mechanical lock).

For rider lean the only potential problem I can see is that having to lean a joypad may impact the precision you can achieve with your fingers on the sticks, but this has to be confirmed (and maybe you won't be using a joypad at all).

I'm officially on holiday in 1.5hrs so I won't touch all this stuff for 2 weeks at least: won't be able to test it until mid Jan.

EDtracker per se is a great device and even used "only" for head tracking is definitely worth the price. Keep in mind that in 2016 they are supposed to have a wireless version.

Stout Johnson

Ok thanks for your feedback MaX. Especially thanks for the link concerning the Gremlin link, precision will probably be the deciding factor in this. Concerning the max lean angle, I hope to manage to define sth via the in-game calibration (maybe in connection with the "gain" setting in controls).

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 18, 2015, 03:08:24 PM
For rider lean the only potential problem I can see is that having to lean a joypad may impact the precision you can achieve with your fingers on the sticks, but this has to be confirmed (and maybe you won't be using a joypad at all).
Not completely sure what you mean by that? I do not plan to use any joypad at all, if I can set up everything to my plans.

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 18, 2015, 03:08:24 PM
Keep in mind that in 2016 they are supposed to have a wireless version.
Thanks for the heads-up. But I think I will go with the wired thingy, I do have headphones cables dangling around anyhow, I'll just wrap the additional around them.

Again, thanks for your feedback. I will buy this nice item and see how it works.
Nice holidays to you and your family MaX!
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

HornetMaX

Ah OK, if you're building a custom device then likely you will not have the issue that is there on a joypad (moving the stick and leaning the pad at the same time may be not ideal).

Cheers !