• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:46:57 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Shaders available?

Started by bison160, October 29, 2015, 06:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bison160

Ok, I have searched and searched and read what little documentation there is on textures and shaders and am clear on the basic process but I just can't find the info I'm looking for.

Background info: I am working on dirt oval, using heightmap or MXB style track so it can use deformation. I have built my heightmap, and am working on the best way to do the texturing.

Now...I have done track texturing several ways in the past, but this is a bit of a new one to me. I understand that the base texture for the heightmap cannot be mapped, and just uses a planar map and is tileable. Texturing with one base map, is not going to look good. I either have to do a huge 1:1 map covering the entire track, which would look good from afar, but lack any detail. Or I could use a base map, tiled tightly which will give good detail up close, but be very bland if zoomed out at all. I noticed in PiBoSo's Knoxville, there is a tight tiled base texture for detail and then a slight appearance of darker grooves or lines that follow the path of the track.

I understand the detail map for the standard track mapping, but is it possible to add a detail map to a MXB style track? Would this be done in the .shd file?

I saw this in the docs page, but it doesn't really say where to put the secondary texture or its parameters, and obviously you can't chose a secondary map channel..
     "For tyre marks, a second texture can be defined using Opacity channel and a secondary UV mapping. Textures with alpha channel will be drawn with alpha blending, while ones without alpha channel will be drawn with multiply blending."

Also, in the Shd. File, are specular maps, bump maps tileable separately from the base texture or will they assume the base textures tile value?

Can I get a list of available shader params in addition to these.....

1. Spec
2. Bump
3. Reflection

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

PiBoSo

Quote from: bison160 on October 29, 2015, 06:13:42 AM
Ok, I have searched and searched and read what little documentation there is on textures and shaders and am clear on the basic process but I just can't find the info I'm looking for.

Background info: I am working on dirt oval, using heightmap or MXB style track so it can use deformation. I have built my heightmap, and am working on the best way to do the texturing.

Now...I have done track texturing several ways in the past, but this is a bit of a new one to me. I understand that the base texture for the heightmap cannot be mapped, and just uses a planar map and is tileable. Texturing with one base map, is not going to look good. I either have to do a huge 1:1 map covering the entire track, which would look good from afar, but lack any detail. Or I could use a base map, tiled tightly which will give good detail up close, but be very bland if zoomed out at all. I noticed in PiBoSo's Knoxville, there is a tight tiled base texture for detail and then a slight appearance of darker grooves or lines that follow the path of the track.

I understand the detail map for the standard track mapping, but is it possible to add a detail map to a MXB style track? Would this be done in the .shd file?

I saw this in the docs page, but it doesn't really say where to put the secondary texture or its parameters, and obviously you can't chose a secondary map channel..
     "For tyre marks, a second texture can be defined using Opacity channel and a secondary UV mapping. Textures with alpha channel will be drawn with alpha blending, while ones without alpha channel will be drawn with multiply blending."

Also, in the Shd. File, are specular maps, bump maps tileable separately from the base texture or will they assume the base textures tile value?

Can I get a list of available shader params in addition to these.....

1. Spec
2. Bump
3. Reflection

Thanks in advance for you assistance.

It's not possible to add a detail map to a layer, but it is possible to use multiple layers.

Specular, bump and reflection are the only shaders available for the track at the moment.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

bison160

Thats a bummer!

Can you tile the spec/bump maps differently than the main map? Say I were to do a 1 for tiling on the base map, then could I do say a 50 for spec/bump? Not sure if this would work out right or not, but may be worth a shot if possible.

PiBoSo

Quote from: bison160 on November 04, 2015, 05:19:33 AM
Thats a bummer!

Can you tile the spec/bump maps differently than the main map? Say I were to do a 1 for tiling on the base map, then could I do say a 50 for spec/bump? Not sure if this would work out right or not, but may be worth a shot if possible.

Yes, the normal map can have different tiling.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".