• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:32:55 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Xbox 360 Controller Users, What Input Setups Do You Use?

Started by tonysea, November 09, 2015, 02:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: Boerenlater on January 18, 2016, 08:59:52 AM
Quote from: vin97 on January 17, 2016, 11:46:25 PM
I'd suggest starting directly with manual rider lean.

That way you can use the learning phase to synchronize your thumbs, like Nick said.
What advantage has left/right manual lean over automatic?

Quote from: vin97 on January 18, 2016, 09:54:05 AM
More lateral leaning available when on the throttle.

I believe the forward and backward manual rider movements have a big effect on the way the bike handles too.... at least that's the impression I get when I'm using DST control.  :)

Hawk.

Vini

...The advantage would be even bigger if PiBoSo would finally give us full control over the rider when using manual lean (regardless of speed).

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on January 18, 2016, 07:02:11 PM
...The advantage would be even bigger if PiBoSo would finally give us full control over the rider when using manual lean (regardless of speed).

I thought lft/rht/fwd/bck manual rider movements were full control.... What other rider control are you thinking about Vin?

Hawk.

Vini

Yes, they are but the complete leaning range is never actually available when using manual lean.
You either have the full lateral leaning range but basically no longitudinal leaning (when going below 145km/h) or the full longitudinal leaning range but limited lateral leaning.
When reaching 145 km/h, the game will abruptly force the rider to move forward a bit (even if you are not moving the stick), thus reducing the maximum possible lateral lean (plus it unlocks the rest of the longitudinal leaning range).

Test it a little bit while watching the rider and you'll know what I mean.

We just need a simple 1-to-1 2D mapping of the analogue stick to rider position without any external limits or interference.
When standing the bike up as you get on the throttle, you would move the rider lean stick up from east/west to north along 'it's circumference' to smoothly go from maximum lateral lean to maximum longitudinal lean (tucking in completely).

At the moment, it's a complete mess because you basically have different riding dynamics at different speeds (above or below 145km/h) plus you have to watch out for the transition at some corners.

Edit:
The transition
https://www.youtube.com/v/XoFQuCrO7KE

Hawk

Quote from: vin97 on January 18, 2016, 10:06:45 PM
Yes, they are but the complete leaning range is never actually available when using manual lean.
You either have the full lateral leaning range but basically no longitudinal leaning (when going below 145km/h) or the full longitudinal leaning range but limited lateral leaning.
When reaching 145 km/h, the game will abruptly force the rider to move forward a bit (even if you are not moving the stick), thus reducing the maximum possible lateral lean (plus it unlocks the rest of the longitudinal leaning range).

Test it a little bit while watching the rider and you'll know what I mean.

We just need a simple 1-to-1 2D mapping of the analogue stick to rider position without any external limits or interference.
When standing the bike up as you get on the throttle, you would move the rider lean stick up from east/west to north along 'it's circumference' to smoothly go from maximum lateral lean to maximum longitudinal lean (tucking in completely).

At the moment, it's a complete mess because you basically have different riding dynamics at different speeds (above or below 145km/h) plus you have to watch out for the transition at some corners.

That's interesting.... I'll have to give this a test.  ;)
But are you not talking about riding styles here rather than a limit in manual rider movement?
If your talking about being able to fully control the rider movements so we can move the rider to whatever riding style we prefer, then I think that would be very difficult to achieve nether mind control? Probably much better just having different riding styles that you can choose from via a menu before you get on track?
I'd say the current riding style is probably somewhat like the "Old School" 2 stroke riding style rather than the modern 4 stroke riding style, wouldn't you agree?

Hawk.

Vini

It's just about fixing the current controls.

Moddable riding styles, as many people have suggested, would still be cool but first this problem has to be solved.