• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:08:12 PM

#2016StartsNow

Started by Stout Johnson, November 10, 2015, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stout Johnson

Ok, let's leave behind what was, first observations from first half of first day of testing for 2016:

• most riders tested 2015 bike on new Michelin tyres to get a feeling for the new tyres
  • new bikes, new ECU will be mostly be tested from tomorrow on
  • already pretty good lap times on the Michelin (1'31)
  • it seemed obvious riders (and prolly TC software engineers) need to adapt to the new tyres; many sudden slides and crashes, mostly over the front wheel
  • it is too early to draw any conclusion for the new season, but I really think that the new tyres will favor one or the other rider and maybe be hard for others; will be interesting to see how the tyres will fare over race distances and maybe we will see some more unpredicted outcomes?
  • tyres will be under development constantly, so it will favor riders that can really feel the amount of grip level imo, some will be having trouble to really feel where the limit is; I am predicting VERY interesting races in 2016
  • Rossi did not seem to be too motivated, still has to get some time between the events from sunday I think
  • Lorenzo also seemed a bit hesitant, not too eager to do laps either
  • Marquez finally could be seen running a bike at the limit again, which was good to see again. He obviously could not await it either, he crashed within his first 5 laps
  • Crutchlow, Pol Espargaro, Bradley Smith, Vinales, Marquez seemed to be particularly "hot" for the new season
  • Denny Kent was a onlooker from the pit wall. Probably wanted to see the bikes he will be racing in 2017 :P
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

Napalm Nick

News: VR46 stops producing merchandise for Marc and Aliex Marquez. I don't think its 'all water under the bridge' just yet.  :o
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 08, 2016, 03:29:30 PM
News: VR46 stops producing merchandise for Marc and Aliex Marquez. I don't think its 'all water under the bridge' just yet.  :o
Uh, it was announced at least 3 times (albeit unofficially), right after the facts at the end of last season.

I even reported it here because it makes you think: how can a rider (VR) own a company that takes care of the interests (merchandising) of another competing rider (MM) ?
It just sounds weird.

Napalm Nick

Ya it was the official announcement. Whilst everything before is said with the heart, to actually implement losses in a business environment means how serious it really is.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

HornetMaX

Little love between the two, so it doesn't come as a surprise. No matter who was right or wrong, it's pretty clear they could not work together, so be it.
MM will find another company to handle his merchandising (no difficulty in that), VR will just sign another rider (I doubt he really needs the money from that activity).

HornetMaX

Back on topic, have you seen the images of Baz crash (rear tyre exploding on the straight at 270+ Kmh) with the softer tyre ?
WTH is the texture on the tyre ?!?!

Napalm Nick

February 08, 2016, 08:44:24 PM #6 Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:16:24 PM by Napalm Nick
Sorry didn't realise I was off topic.

Looks like the carcass the rubber is bonded to. Couldn't see in the crash if the tyre delaminated but from what you can see of the split that just looks like carcass to me. However MotoGP tyres probably have no resemblance to normal bike tyre construction?

Edit: a yeh I see the marshalls holding all the actual rubber bits now.

HornetMaX

February 08, 2016, 11:10:03 PM #7 Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:24:52 AM by HornetMaX
Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 08, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
Sorry didn't realise I was off topic.
I was talking to myself :)

Quote from: Napalm Nick on February 08, 2016, 08:44:24 PM
Looks like the carcass the rubber is bonded to. Couldn't see in the crash if the tyre delaminated but from what you can see of the split that just looks like carcass to me. However MotoGP tyres probably have no resemblance to normal bike tyre construction?

Edit: a yeh I see the marshalls holding all the actual rubber bits now.
Right could be. Impressive though. Geez I wouldn't feel very confident in jumping on the bike again with the same tyre :)
[I know, that specific tyre has been suspended pending more investigations ... till ...]

Napalm Nick

Me neither I would want to know the reason ASAP and a cast-iron guarantee "it shouldn't happen again" lol.

I see now they have introduced mandatory tyre pressure sensors as a result of this but I am struggling to see how that would help prevent this situation? Unless they are suggesting the tyre was under inflated at pit-out, or was losing pressure slowly until it failed?

Seems a bit of a knee jerk reaction when the actual cause hasn't been determined no?

HornetMaX

It's not too easy to identify the exact cause of a failure like that.
Putting on all the sensors you can have definitely helps. At least to have some data if the problem arises again. Which is not too reassuring for the riders I guess :)

Hawk

At a guess, I would say it's the same tyre disintegration problem they had in F1..... I'd bet it will be down to them trying to make the tyres as light as possible?

I certainly wouldn't want to be their guinea pig test rider.  :o :-\

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on February 09, 2016, 09:38:59 AM
At a guess, I would say it's the same tyre disintegration problem they had in F1..... I'd bet it will be down to them trying to make the tyres as light as possible?
Unlikely, as if it's done to tyre wear, it can easily be spotted.
Last guess I heard was, as matty said, under-inflated tyre (but it's not confirmed).

Boerenlater

Ioda and De Angelis with Aprilia to WSBK.
I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Boerenlater

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 08, 2016, 08:20:21 PM
Back on topic, have you seen the images of Baz crash (rear tyre exploding on the straight at 270+ Kmh) with the softer tyre ?
WTH is the texture on the tyre ?!?!

I stopped gaming (and GP-Bikes)

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on February 09, 2016, 09:45:20 AM
Quote from: Hawk on February 09, 2016, 09:38:59 AM
Unlikely, as if it's done to tyre wear, it can easily be spotted.
Last guess I heard was, as matty said, under-inflated tyre (but it's not confirmed).

As I understood the F1 tyre problem, it was more down to them designing a lighter construction of the tyre structure itself(particularly the side walls), as the tyres were delaminating the treads and disintegrating well before they were worn out.

Hawk.