• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:33:20 PM

A try at modelling - WIP

Started by h106frp, January 03, 2016, 11:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

With some help from RiccoChicco which is greatly appreciated i am having a try at bike modelling - mainly for a high quality first person cockpit model but you need a bike model of some sorts to go with it   ;)

Built from the ground up and still a lot to do - Ducati track day bike - gives me a lot of license with (inaccurate) appearance  :D;

If anyone notices don't panic about the triangle count, all my higher poly bits for the 1P view are to the left out of view  ;)

If i get finished i will release the 3D file for others to use as a base geometry model.

Anybody know - Can you paint the boring bits using 'materials' in the designer or does everything have to be UV mapped?

Hawk

Wow! First bike model - I'm very impressed mate! Looks great, well done!  ;D 8)

Personally I'd UV map everything so that if people wanted to paint all parts they can do.  :)

Great job H.  8)

Hawk.

Napalm Nick

Really ace H   8)

I admire you for getting stuck in. It looks complicated as hell to use that software so scares me off ever trying it, even if I would really like to be able to.

Look forward to seeing your progress.
"The post you are writing has been written at least ten times already in the last 15ish years. Its already been reported, suggested, discussed, ignored or archived (but mostly ignored). Why are you doing it again?"

RiccoChicco

Blackheart

I'm curious to see the final result for the 1p view! Great job!

Put some new screenshots when u have new stuff!  ;D

janaucarre

matty0l215

Great work mate! :D

Quote from: Hawk on January 04, 2016, 12:26:41 AM
Personally I'd UV map everything so that if people wanted to paint all parts they can do.  :)

This would be brilliant :)
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

h106frp

January 07, 2016, 10:48:28 PM #7 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:04:49 PM by h106frp
Refining the profile of the 3P model and double skinned to ensure no 'see-throughs'  :)  Currently at about 43k triangles so a bit of budget still left for some finer detailing.

All done with the free 'Blender' designer  - its really very good

Hopefully get some progress on the 1P model soon  :)

Also need to work out how to add this to GPB :D

HornetMaX

It look s very good to me. Only part that hurts: front fork tubes and sliders.

For the stand, you can look at the ones we already have (or ask Ricco, he knows for sure).

h106frp

Quote from: HornetMaX on January 08, 2016, 07:27:15 AM
It look s very good to me. Only part that hurts: front fork tubes and sliders.

For the stand, you can look at the ones we already have (or ask Ricco, he knows for sure).

Shaders are 'off' for the fork tubes that's why they look faceted. The use of shaders is the only way to build with low vertex count, otherwise you would need hundreds of thousand of polys just for a fairing.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on January 08, 2016, 09:04:01 AM
Shaders are 'off' for the fork tubes that's why they look faceted. The use of shaders is the only way to build with low vertex count, otherwise you would need hundreds of thousand of polys just for a fairing.
But you just forgot or is it intentional ?

h106frp

January 08, 2016, 11:44:40 AM #11 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 04:36:08 PM by h106frp
Just forgot as it was mostly to demonstrate the bodywork curves.

I am just starting to understand how the shaders work and how important they are when related to edge length and poly count reduction - long edges provide a lot of smoothing so 2 long edged faces blend nice and flat so useful for covering the large flat areas of a fairing but along fairing edges or around openings you need a line of short edged polys to re-sharpen the definition to avoid too much smoothing. A lot to learn!

Main fairing panel with long polys running up to to edges creating problems for the shader algorithm;

Same base geometry, edged with short polys  :)

Probably means a lot of re-meshing though  :(

Hawk

Quote from: h106frp on January 08, 2016, 11:44:40 AM
Just forgot as it was mostly to demonstrate the bodywork curves.

I am just starting to understand how the shaders work and how important they are when related to edge length and poly count reduction - long edges provide a lot of smoothing so 2 long edged faces blend nice and flat so useful for covering the large flat areas of a fairing but along fairing edges or around openings you need a line of short edged polys to re-sharpen the definition to avoid too much smoothing. A lot to learn!

Best to show a pic of the wireframe shaded version so we can fully understand what your doing there.  ;)

Your doing well H! Looks great mate!  ;D 8)

Hawk.

matty0l215

For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

h106frp

Progressing, but i could really do with an explanation of how the shaders are executed as they are starting to give me a real headache and it has such a massive impact on appearance and meshing detail requirements.

In the modelling environment i have found i can adjust the shading (face angle) to give better detail on complex small parts or i can border a part to allow a lot of smoothing (large face angle) but control the gradient of the smoothing with the meshing and this gives the best result for large panels or complex curves.

So.... how does this work when i convert to a game model ?, can the model have unique values for shading different components or is it a single global value and i have to adjust the geometry to compensate? should i have lots of sub-meshes so i can have unique shader values for each mesh?...... confused  :(

Model appearance is steadily improving though.   :)