• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:12:51 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Add an 'in helmet model' first person view mode

Started by h106frp, March 01, 2016, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

h106frp

Would it be possible to have (add) a first person view mode where the viewing camera was inside the rider helmet model?

I was just thinking you could then have a real 3D helmet view and the possibility of applying the shaders to the visor so we could have realistic reflections and lighting applied.

Thank you.

doNico

MaxTM got it implemented ... but without reflections i think ... but it looks fantastic

~doN

h106frp

But i think that a 2D overlay so you are limited with what you can do. With a model you can use all the graphic engine modelling effects.

HornetMaX

Yeah, what's in my plugin is a simple 2d overlay, not a real 3d model.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it's worth the effort to have a real 3d model: moddig a helmet would suddenly be more difficult.

But in principle, it would be cool !

Hawk

March 02, 2016, 12:02:04 AM #4 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:04:55 AM by Hawk
Great idea H, and it wouldn't take a lot of work to model the inside of the helmet for the section that would be seen, but there is a mesh plane with the riders face textured onto it that I believe would block any view of the camera. Only option would be to strip that face mesh out; I don't think we can see the face anyway can we? That's if we can get access to it? It's probably in .EDF format and we have no importer for the EDF format.  :-\

Only other option would be if we could totally replace the head section of the helmet model with our own model?

Can't we adjust the helmet cam position already?

Hawk.

h106frp

Its just that in 1P you see reflections in the windshield and gauges but it looks very obvious that you helmet visor is missing. I just think it would feel more first person if the illusion of the visor could be simulated. The 1P rider needs an overhaul anyway with the legs and body adding in ready for VR and adding a helmet would surely not add a lot of work.

The camera position 'sort of' follows the rider view position defined in BikeED

doubledragoncc

Please dont take this the wrong way Max, I dont use your helmet view as It stays still on the horizontal and does not rotate as it would do in real life as you are leaning if you know what I mean. As I use a real controller and actually lean with the handlebars as on a real bike my head does not stay horizontal, it tilts to the side following my body and neck. I think it would be better than a 3D view if to start with you could make the 2D helmet view rotate depending on the angle of lean the bike has or the angle needle from your app. This would mean less viewing area in one way but would be more realistic than basically sitting level which is not real. Your work is great and it looks brilliant. Nobody has done this yet and it would add more feel as it would look correct. Once you had movement of the 2D part it would help develop something for 3D maybe.

I hope I explained it okay, its not one of my strong points lol.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

h106frp

Probably easier to do in 3D as we do not get any rider pose data out of the telemetry.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 12:07:48 AM
Please dont take this the wrong way Max, I dont use your helmet view as It stays still on the horizontal and does not rotate as it would do in real life as you are leaning if you know what I mean. As I use a real controller and actually lean with the handlebars as on a real bike my head does not stay horizontal, it tilts to the side following my body and neck. I think it would be better than a 3D view if to start with you could make the 2D helmet view rotate depending on the angle of lean the bike has or the angle needle from your app. This would mean less viewing area in one way but would be more realistic than basically sitting level which is not real. Your work is great and it looks brilliant. Nobody has done this yet and it would add more feel as it would look correct. Once you had movement of the 2D part it would help develop something for 3D maybe.
No problem man, I see what you mean.

But even if we had the 3d model, that wouldn't change the fact that in GPB, by default, it's the horizon that moves with respect to the monitor because players typically don't move.

So if we had to do it properly for people like you, we should have: first, the tilt set to zero (so that the horizon on screen will not rotate) and then the 3d model (or my 2d overlay) rotating.
It's doable, more or less just like the tilt in GPB. But I'm not very confident it will actually look nice (not even for you). You'd see large black stripes on the sides of the screen at high lean angles.

But now I'm confused because in your recent videos, the tilt is not set to zero: the horizon moves ?! Seems wrong according to what you want ...

doubledragoncc

Yes the horizon moves, but only so much. When in 1st person the bike is still leaning off off the center and my bars are at an angle to match the bike on the screen, this causes NFFB and makes me move my upper body as on a real bike and naturally the head moves too. So My eyes are now not level but at an angle to match the bikes angle minus the natural negative tilt you make to reduce the angle of the road in view.

You are very right too about the movement looking strange which is why it is better with none.

If I need to have helmet view I will just wear me lid lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 09:53:46 AM
Yes the horizon moves, but only so much. When in 1st person the bike is still leaning off off the center and my bars are at an angle to match the bike on the screen, this causes NFFB and makes me move my upper body as on a real bike and naturally the head moves too. So My eyes are now not level but at an angle to match the bikes angle minus the natural negative tilt you make to reduce the angle of the road in view.
But in that case you should set the tile in gpb to zero, so that it stays level on the screen and you only see the tilt that you do with your body/head, no ?

If one has an hardware rig with a screen fixed to the wall and a bike frame that can lean (roll) left/right, then the tilt in GPB should be set at zero.
Your case should be similar.

doubledragoncc

If I leave it at zero, it is wrong. As I have it works great actually lol

It is only the helmet not moving that is wrong for me. Even if I was to use a gamepad, I am one of those that leans anyways lol

DD

Hawk

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 09:53:46 AM

You are very right too about the movement looking strange which is why it is better with none.

If I need to have helmet view I will just wear me lid lol

DD

Actually that is a very good point, and you'd get your helmet view for free too without any modders having to create models, etc, etc.... But yeah a good point DD! Hehe!  ;D

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 10:19:04 AM
If I leave it at zero, it is wrong.
Hmmm ... messy.

I did notice that handling the head tilt with EDTracker is not as simple as it seems. I ended up letting GPB handle it, which is OK as i don't physically lean).
In your case, you do lean, but I'm sure your head does not lean as much as your body (this happens on a real bike, the head tries to keep the horizon level).

doubledragoncc