• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Add an 'in helmet model' first person view mode

Started by h106frp, March 01, 2016, 09:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 10:49:41 AM
Yep that is what I was trying to say lol
I'm confused now: what would you like to have ?
Let's say the bike s leaning 30deg left.
With respect to the screen horizontal border, GPB's horizon will be tilted 30deg (to the right, assuming tilt setting is > 30deg).
Now what would you like to see  in terms of helmet overlay ? The helmet "following" the GPB horizon ?

h106frp

March 02, 2016, 11:03:47 AM #16 Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 11:06:18 AM by h106frp
Just to clarify, the main reason for wanting a 'real' helmet view is too be able to emulate the visor lighting effects which are missing from the player point of view in 1P but are clearly visible effecting the bike i.e. reflections on the windshield and instruments thus lowering the 'reality' factor of simulation.

All it needs is a key in the gfx or cameras file that would allow the T-cam/rider view to be fixed inside a graphics model. Then a fairly simple model can be made that can have the shaders to get the desired effects. I will happily make my own model, just need PB to let it into the sim  :D

Just for the record i use EDTracker and let GPB handle the tilt (set to 100%). I find this works well, and feels reasonably natural. I do not like the arguemnt for always fixed horizontal horizon as i am pretty sure i do not have +/- 65 degrees of head tilt in real life to completely correct the bike lean.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on March 02, 2016, 11:03:47 AM
Just to clarify, the main reason for wanting a 'real' helmet view is too be able to emulate the visor lighting effects which are missing from the player point of view in 1P but are clearly visible effecting the bike i.e. reflections on the windshield and instruments thus lowering the 'reality' factor of simulation.
That's understood. Maybe you could do a test putting a big curved surface (that plays the role of the helmet visor) attached somewhere on top of the fuel tank, just to see if you can achieve something that would bring what you hope.

Quote from: h106frp on March 02, 2016, 11:03:47 AM
I do not like the arguemnt for always fixed horizontal horizon as i am pretty sure i do not have +/- 65 degrees of head tilt in real life to completely correct the bike lean.
The fixed horizon would be only for people with a full rig that allows them to lean physically. When doing so, even if your rig goes 65deg, your head will compensate like on a real bike and go down to more acceptable and realistic levels. It will be exactly like on a real bike: bike and rider move, horizon don't.

h106frp

I am considering trying the big surface model just to experiment with the shading, obviously will not be much use as a visor simulation though  :(

doubledragoncc

I use 50% tilt so if the helmet view tilted the same as the bikes lean angle minus say 5degrees it would be pretty close.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on March 02, 2016, 11:33:57 AM
I am considering trying the big surface model just to experiment with the shading, obviously will not be much use as a visor simulation though  :(

Yeah. that's what I meant, test the shading and see if it works fine for that purpose (I'm not sure).

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 11:38:16 AM
I use 50% tilt so if the helmet view tilted the same as the bikes lean angle minus say 5degrees it would be pretty close.
I'm totally not convinced, but I'll give it a go and let you know :)

doubledragoncc

Thanks bro, but it will not look great as when the helmet view rotates, the sides of the helmet will be near the corners of the screen and then you will get an ugly triangle in each corner lol.

You would need to make the view far smaller to fit in the screen area at angles and that means less viewing area which is not good. It is a thing that in reality is hard to do right and to suit all. Do not waste time just for my personal thoughts.

I just wanted to say about the fact that the helmet stays level in the screen right now which I find odd unless I nail myself upright that is lol.

Great work either way bro. Your stuff rocks. Thank you for all the hard work to improve our fun.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on March 02, 2016, 11:55:41 AM
Thanks bro, but it will not look great as when the helmet view rotates, the sides of the helmet will be near the corners of the screen and then you will get an ugly triangle in each corner lol.
I can black the triangles out.

doubledragoncc

If your up to trying it then great. Luv you dedication to perfection bro.

DD

h106frp

Just looking at files and noticed that a helmet model c_helmet is already declared for the cockpit model. Anybody have any ideas how we get this to display?

gfx,cfg
model = helmet.hrc
visor = visor
shadow = helmet_s.edf

cockpit
{
   model = c_helmet.edf
   shadow = helmet_s.edf
}

h106frp

Bumping my own thread but i have had a bit of a play with this since;

Substituted 3P rider into 1P view- rider has arms, torso and legs in 1P, surprised how accustomed i had become to the floaty arm model  ;)

Anyway, it becomes obvious how the helmet cam does not follow the rider pose, you can notice this with the shadow model as well. Generally the camera stays more central and higher that the rider pose and is more static.

Would it possible to add an option switch to force the camera translations to follow the rider pose with the EDtracker still controlling the 'look' as we have currently? I think this would add a lot of dynamic to the 1P view for those who want to experiment with it.
It would be nice if the camera also followed the 'look over shoulder' left right path rather than just spinning around when using the EDTracker.

Thankyou