• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:20 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Multiplayer lag

Started by Vini, April 08, 2016, 12:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

Quote from: WALKEN on April 07, 2016, 07:47:40 PMI believe if you want a true simulation you also need a real bike as the controller.
In my opinion, a dual-axis force feedback handlebar controller + foot controls + sensor seat pad (+ Oculus :D) would be sufficient to be counted a "true simulation".

@PiBoSo
Obviously nobody at the moment is even close to GPB and seeing how many betas and test riders it took to get to the current stage, it might take a while until there is something close.
Still, I feel like communication could be better sometimes :P For example, my simple question on why the Varese's crankshaft(s) is set to counter-rotating or how long it took you to join the discussion on the lowside bug.

BTW, in comparison to other games, GP Bikes uses very high bandwidth and the replay size (and the lags when viewing other players) makes me wonder what data is actually being transmitted.
Would you care to elaborate on that?

Hawk

The only problem I have with the replays is that the wheels lift way off the ground when bikes flip from left to right or vice versa.... otherwise I have no issues with lag or stutters.

Hawk.

PiBoSo

Quote from: vin97 on April 08, 2016, 12:37:41 AM
BTW, in comparison to other games, GP Bikes uses very high bandwidth and the replay size (and the lags when viewing other players) makes me wonder what data is actually being transmitted.
Would you care to elaborate on that?

Interesting!
What games are you comparing GPB to?
On the client or on the server side? Or both?
Could you please provide some numbers?
With or without the dynamic track surface?
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 08:18:42 AMbut what's the big deal with the varese crankshaft ?
It's no big deal but one short response to acknowledge it would be enough.

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 08:18:42 AMWhy would you want to know that ? I doubt that you (or me), once we have the answer, will be able to suggest something smart to him on that matter.
Don't know. The fact that the game is not able to render the bikes of other players correctly makes me think that there is something that is not optimized. Of course I am only speculating, so don't take this as an insult to your coding skills, PiBoSo  ;)

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 08:18:42 AMMost likely, the high bandwidth comes from the fact the GPB struggles to do the thing properly
What do you mean?

@PiBoSo: Haven't done any proper measurements but I came to the conclusion based on how large the replays are and how much the connection influences the game.
Quote from: PiBoSo on April 08, 2016, 05:31:43 PMSounds great  :)
I'll do my best to improve the modding tools.
I  have a few suggestions for TrackED, will post them in the suggestions section...

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 08, 2016, 06:33:28 PM
Don't know. The fact that the game is not able to render the bikes of other players correctly makes me think that there is something that is not optimized. Of course I am only speculating, so don't take this as an insult to your coding skills, PiBoSo  ;)
What do you mean with "not able to render the bikes of other players correctly" ?
I haven't seen any problem with that.

Quote from: vin97 on April 08, 2016, 06:33:28 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 08:18:42 AMMost likely, the high bandwidth comes from the fact the GPB struggles to do the thing properly
What do you mean?
I mean that other games may limit bandwidth and replay size by sending over minimal information that is not enough to properly reconstruct the true status of the bikes. This may not be noticeable all the time, but there's no magic recipe to send a bunch of float in half their proper size.

Vini

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 07:46:09 PMWhat do you mean with "not able to render the bikes of other players correctly" ?
The front wheel / handlebar of other players is always very laggy no matter how low the ping is.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 08, 2016, 08:15:11 PM
Quote from: HornetMaX on April 08, 2016, 07:46:09 PMWhat do you mean with "not able to render the bikes of other players correctly" ?
The front wheel / handlebar of other players is always very laggy no matter how low the ping is.
Because it depends on 2 pings: the ping player A --> server and the ping server --> player B. Were they both low ? Were both players having the bandwidth setting to the appropriate level ?

Vini

April 09, 2016, 06:54:09 PM #7 Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 07:01:46 PM by vin97
I just checked my replay of the Mugello race again and yes the onboard cameras are basically unusable for race footage because of the laggyness.
...I was spectating Nick who ran the server and my ping never exceeds 30ms on his server.

I should add that this laggyness only occurs when the suspension is working (accelerating, changing direction, etc.).
If the bike is just rolling at a fixed lean angle, the replay is usually smooth. Of course this is a purely theoretical scenario.

HornetMaX

Who recoded the replay ? You or the server ?

Vini

I recorded the replay.
I have tested all combinations and the replay is only not laggy when viewing the person who recorded the replay.

HornetMaX

Try the server's replay, it should be the best one.

Vini

Same result. Other bikes are always laggy, I'm not making this stuff up  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 01:02:05 AM
Same result. Other bikes are always laggy, I'm not making this stuff up  ::)
What's "other bikes" on a replay taken from the server ?  ::)

Vini

I hosted a session yesterday and did a few laps with Kerazo. Kerazo was the other bike and he had low ping all the time.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 03:16:26 PM
I hosted a session yesterday and did a few laps with Kerazo. Kerazo was the other bike and he had low ping all the time.
The ping is not all that matters. What is your upload speed ?

Local hosting on an ADLS line could be problematic. Better do the test on a real server with good upload speed (like dibu's).