• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:15:54 AM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Multiplayer lag

Started by Vini, April 08, 2016, 12:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

12 Mbps

Look, I can do these tests but it doesn't change the fact that no matter how good your connection is (as a client), bikes of other players will be laggy.
This is not acceptable for an online multiplayer game IMO.

doubledragoncc

Gotta agree with Vin, the other players bikes lag so badly it can cause crashes at times and is confusing too. In replays it can look so bad its a joke!!!

I have 50MB/s internet going to 70MB soon, still dont matter if another has a bad ping.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 04:02:02 PM
12 Mbps
Just to be sure, that's the upload speed (and not the download one) ?

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 04:02:02 PM
Look, I can do these tests but it doesn't change the fact that no matter how good your connection is (as a client), bikes of other players will be laggy.
They will be laggy if their own connection (othe rplayers) is poor and/or if the server's connection is inadequate.

Some lag is inevitable due to the network: that's why you have lan parties :)
In online FPS it's way less visible because the objects moves slower than our bikes and hence the client side prediction can work better.

But if there's something to improve about that I'd be happy if it could be done. I just can't be as sure as you seem to be that there's is definitely something to do better.

Vini

It is upload.

But lag at 25ms ping?

I will definitely test it with a LAN, if it's still laggy I think you would agree with me that something is wrong/unoptimized.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 04:37:44 PM
It is upload.

But lag at 25ms ping?
Player A to server = 25ms
Server to player B = 25 ms

So we have 50ms of ping only: you should sum the time it takes to actually send the data and the time the server takes to process data (and the time the clients eats up in generating / processing the data).

But let's keep it at 50ms. Now try to do the math: if a bike is travelling at 360Kmh, how far will it travel in 50ms ?
Now you see it's not only a matter of "how much data GPB sends out".

I will definitely test it with a LAN, if it's still laggy I think you would agree with me that something is wrong/unoptimized.
It would surely be a stringer argument.

grimm

It is upload.

But lag at 25ms ping?

Raced with my brother a few beta's ago via LAN and had the same bouncing tire issues. I'll try to dig up the replay in a second here.... doesn't seem to show it as much as I remember it, I think it's due to discarding all the footage that looked super messed up due to it, but there is a few instances where my brother (bike behind me in all the vids) didn't have anything odd on his end of things (with his bike, on his end mine was doing the bouncing thing in replays).

(I don't feel like screwing around with trying to embed this video, just click the link if you care to see the example.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZHP3JEFc7w

Vini

April 10, 2016, 05:31:39 PM #21 Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 05:33:21 PM by vin97
I was the host, so only 25ms from Kerazo to me.

Thanks, grimm. The suspension lag is definitely there (most visible in the last clip) although it would be much easier to see from onboard view.

Quote from: HornetMaX on April 10, 2016, 04:52:20 PMBut let's keep it at 50ms. Now try to do the math: if a bike is travelling at 360Kmh, how far will it travel in 50ms ?
Now you see it's not only a matter of "how much data GPB sends out".
Of course there has to be a short delay (resulting in a small offset of the bike position) but there shouldn't be gaps where the game is completely ignoring the actual user input (and physics engine output) and instead keeps the suspension and handlebar at a fixed position until it decides to abruptly move it.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on April 10, 2016, 05:31:39 PM
Of course there has to be a short delay (resulting in a small offset of the bike position) but there shouldn't be gaps where the game is completely ignoring the actual user input (and physics engine output) and instead keeps the suspension and handlebar at a fixed position until it decides to abruptly move it.
These are typical of network instability.

Ping is one thing, but then you also have jitter: if the data from a client (or from the server) doesn't come in very regularly, then the client will have to predict (more than the usual) where the bike will be (in absence of new data from the server). On fast movements this can be a problem.

But I see what you're saying, I'm not saying the problem is not there. I'm just saying that it may not be something you can solve easily: to properly describe the status of a bike you need a bunch of float. When you have N bikes, you multiply by N. You can hit network issues pretty quickly and prediction can work only up to a point.