• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Front suspension preload settings: min vs max

Started by ptrshpt, May 03, 2016, 04:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptrshpt

May 03, 2016, 04:22:01 PM Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:11:45 PM by ptrshpt
-

h106frp

Something odd with ride height as well. I added a lot of adjustment but moving to extremes does not seem to effect the attitude of the bike in MaXHud display  ???

What exactly does MaXHud depict in the 2 moving bar display?

Vini

I think the MaxHud suspension display may have a problem because ride height and even fork offset definitely change the bike attitude.

Take screenshots in pits and compare them by toggling between them.

HornetMaX

Quote from: h106frp on May 04, 2016, 12:46:23 AM
What exactly does MaXHud depict in the 2 moving bar display?
Just the extension of the suspensions, as returned by GPB (I do not do any processing, it's raw data put on screen).

Quote from: vin97 on May 04, 2016, 12:47:51 AM
I think the MaxHud suspension display may have a problem because ride height and even fork offset definitely change the bike attitude.
The widget you are referring to is called "Suspensions" and not "Bike attitude", because it shows the status of the suspensions and not of the bike attitude :)

Vini

HornetMaX

Makes me think I may want to add something to show the bike attitude.
I have the 3 angles (roll, pitch, yaw) so it should easy.
If anybody has an idea/example about how to show that on-screen, just send over.

h106frp

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 04, 2016, 07:16:21 AM
Makes me think I may want to add something to show the bike attitude.
I have the 3 angles (roll, pitch, yaw) so it should easy.
If anybody has an idea/example about how to show that on-screen, just send over.

That would be excellent MaX, i was just looking at the output plug-in and thinking the same but i would not know how to add the overlay. Currently it is very difficult to visualise and record the geometry changes that you make to the bike in the garage.

We seem to have available;
m_fPosX,m_fPosY,m_fPosZ;         /* world position of a reference point attached to chassis ( not CG ) */
float m_aafRot[3][3];            /* rotation matrix of the chassis. It incorporates lean and wheeling */
float m_fYaw,m_fPitch,m_fRoll;
that might be useful;

In its simplest form i would like to be able to see;

-the attitude of the bike when the pre-load and ride height are altered - sort of spirit level style.
-the height of the bike front and rear so i could estimate the 'sag' - maybe fPos could be used for this in some way, appreciate the origin might not be track surface but it should be absolute to track vertical origin.
-the effective rotation of the steering rake angle would also be very useful to know.

This would be invaluable for trying to create realistic set-up geometry

HornetMaX

I can show the pitch (roll and yaw too but they are more gimmick than useful).

Everything else is not doable from the plugin: you'd need the same thing implemented in MXB (for the sage) plus additional code in GPB to provide what you want (as I'd need o know the exact bike geometry do compute these).

h106frp

Pitch would be great, could you also display m_fpos(vertical) somewhere in the interface (maybe make it hideable) - with pen/paper and calculator it would then be possible to calculate the values by hand to correctly set up a new MOD bike, at the moment its almost guesswork trying to visualise the bike set-up without any feed-back from the garage.

HornetMaX

fPos height is not relative to track (and we don't even know where on the bike is the point with these coords).
I can show it no problem, but I doubt it'll be of any use.

h106frp

A long as its to a consistent datum (probably track 0,0,0) it will work for me - it says its a fixed point on the bike (guess its 0,0,0 chassis from bikeED). I only want to use it stationary at the point the bike first enters the track in the pits so i should be able to make adjustments and see the relative change on the bike - hopefully with some simple calcs i can get a rough figure for the bike displacements which you cannot get anywhere else.

At the moment its impossible to check the in-game stance of the bike anywhere and very difficult when you are trying to set up BikeEd suspension geometry correctly with no game engine feed back..

Hopefully one day this will all be available in the garage.

Thanks for giving this a try, it will be a real help  :)

HornetMaX

May 04, 2016, 09:54:02 AM #11 Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 08:41:45 PM by HornetMaX
Netx time I put my hands in the code I'll add the pitch and fPos (vertical) to the suspension widget.

Warlock

Quote from: h106frp

Hopefully one day this will all be available in the garage.

Hopefully ..., it would be helpfull for bike setup

h106frp

With the aid of a post it note i checked that no matter what pre-load i add the suspension bar is in the same place in the max hud display.

Changing the spring alters the height of the bar. So i assume the starting point of the bar only represents the total amount the spring must compress to support the weight of the bike as this indication would not change with pre-load.

doubledragoncc

But if the Max had shows movement, it will always be in the same place to start with as it is reading "NO MOVEMENT" but when you ride it will move right? I dont think MaxHud can be used to read static positioning just movement?

Just a guess

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.