• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:30:11 AM

OBS for video recording

Started by doubledragoncc, May 20, 2016, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doubledragoncc

May 20, 2016, 10:00:36 AM Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:02:18 AM by doubledragoncc
Hi guys.

Many ask about video recording software for YoyTube etc, well I was having a real problem trying to do one in AC without getting fps hits and input lag.

On an off chance of trying anything I had I remembered OBS allows local recording and not just streaming, gave it a shot and BAM, NO fps hits, input lag oor any problems and great quality.

Its free so grab it here:https://obsproject.com/

It works on Windows, Mac and Linux!!!

DD

EDIT: Make sure you set the recordings to mp4 format in settings and it will make an mp4 you can send straight to YT if you dont want to edit it.
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

Quote from: doubledragoncc on May 20, 2016, 10:00:36 AM
EDIT: Make sure you set the recordings to mp4 format in settings and it will make an mp4 you can send straight to YT if you dont want to edit it.
There's one bad point in using mp4 though: if your game or OBS crashes while recording, you lose the whole recording.
If you use the other alternative (.flv), in case of a crash the recording just stops, but it is not lost.

Once you save as .flv, in OBS you can convert to mp4 in with a couple of clicks (no re-encoding needed).

So you'd probably record as .flv an convert it within PBS as soon as the recording is done.

doubledragoncc

True Max I am just lazy lol.

I have so much to do if it saves me time Im in lol. Good advice though bro.

Need to get brain out of neutral lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Hawk

May 20, 2016, 11:50:40 AM #3 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 11:53:36 AM by Hawk
Is it me(most likely. lol) but I've found in the past that converting from a flash movie to an mp4 doesn't give good results?  :-\

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Quote from: Hawk on May 20, 2016, 11:50:40 AM
Is it me(most likely. lol) but I've found in the past that converting from a flash movie to an mp4 doesn't give good results?  :-\
As far as I know there's no er-encoding involved in the case of OBS. Many video formats are just containers (meaning that the true video data is/can be essentially the same).

But for sure if you need to decode and re-encode, then this could be bad (especially if the original video format is of average quality from the beginning).

doubledragoncc

Everytime you convert a video format to another you lose a bit of quality, THATS why I like to be lazy if I can.

DD

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 20, 2016, 11:53:22 AM
Quote from: Hawk on May 20, 2016, 11:50:40 AM
As far as I know there's no er-encoding involved in the case of OBS. Many video formats are just containers (meaning that the true video data is/can be essentially the same).

But for sure if you need to decode and re-encode, then this could be bad (especially if the original video format is of average quality from the beginning).

Ah! That was probably the problem for me then, cause I downloaded a video from youtube and converted it to mp4 and the quality was disgusting(very blocky), but from what I gather, YouTube does strip-out a lot of the detail quality in any uploads before publishing them?

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Youtube takes your video and may decide to re-encode it.
But when you download from Youtube you typically have the choice in a few resolution and formats to download, possibly including the original one (unless they decided to re-encode that too).

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 20, 2016, 12:04:00 PM
Youtube takes your video and may decide to re-encode it.
But when you download from Youtube you typically have the choice in a few resolution and formats to download, possibly including the original one (unless they decided to re-encode that too).

If I'm not mistaken, even a 1080p quality on youtube doesn't hold all the information as the original 1080p quality that was uploaded as information can be stripped out that really doesn't showup too much with the viewing quality, but when it comes to converting stuff it makes a bike difference as you say. But I cannot remember seeing a setting for original quality on youtube. That's not to say they don't do it, just I've never seen it in the quality settings and I watch a lot of youtube stuff.

I personally think the best converters are the online youtube converters.... they can definitely convert to whatever format you require and the quality always seems to be good.... So yeah I'm sure if you know what your doing(unlike myself. Lol) then it can be done for sure.  :)

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Video encoding / transcoding --> Handbrake. Period.

Online converters ?!? Example ?

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 20, 2016, 12:32:51 PM
Video encoding / transcoding --> Handbrake. Period.

Online converters ?!? Example ?

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Hawk.

HornetMaX

Hmm, I prefer to do the conversion myself (when needed). Just download: http://keepvid.com/

Vini

May 20, 2016, 07:03:42 PM #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:05:46 PM by vin97
Quote from: doubledragoncc on May 20, 2016, 11:54:08 AM
Everytime you convert a video format to another you lose a bit of quality, THATS why I like to be lazy if I can.
True unless you use lossless (but not uncompressed) codecs (like Lagarith, FFV1 or ULH), which is what I do unless I have a shadowplay mp4 that does not require further editing (then the raw file goes straight to YT).
YouTube always re-encodes no matter what you upload and fast movements combined with a wide FoV can cause quite low image quality.
Especially problematic are the asphalt textures on some tracks (with nose cam) because they merge into the whole frame, creating horrible graining everywhere.

I am pretty sure that you can recover aborted H.264 streams, at least I remember doing something like this when re-encoding a 3D-Bluray failed on the last 3 seconds.
Anyway, this is what I did in that case: Index the mp4/mkv/h.264-stream with ffmsindex and then read the file with an AviSynth script and the ffmpegsource2 function (and parse it to an encoder).

Hawk

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 20, 2016, 06:41:11 PM
Hmm, I prefer to do the conversion myself (when needed). Just download: http://keepvid.com/

Thanks Max.... I'll give this a try.  ;) 8)

Hawk

HornetMaX

But it's a hell of a job when you could just record as flv and convert (without re-encoding) as mp4, no ?

Lossless is good, but if you have a loong session, the file size will hurt (and enconding it after will not be a matter of 30min).