• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:06 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

OBS for video recording

Started by doubledragoncc, May 20, 2016, 10:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vini

May 20, 2016, 07:35:46 PM #15 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 07:54:08 PM by vin97
Yeah, just saying, don't delete the files if the recording crashed.

Also, h.264 is not supported by flv, only by it's later extension f4v, which was not very popular, meaning that not many programs support it.
Are you sure there is a difference between how flash handles aborted h.264 streams and how mp4 does it?
Never really bothered messing much with flv/f4v.

Can OBS record mkv files? If so, that would be my container format of choice.

Yep, lossless codecs will obviously produce very large files but it's worth it for me because I really don't want to make YouTube's processing any worse than it already is.
...The 27 min. 1080p60 helmet view video I posted was a 66GB upload.

HornetMaX

Out of memory no .mkv, only .flv and .mp4, and I'm pretty sure about the problem about aborted .mp4 (problem not being there when using .flv).

But OBS is WIP, so maybe new features have appeared since I checked (4-6 months ago at least).

doubledragoncc

And dont forget, all the advice is useless if your GPU is shit!!!

Part joke and part reality. I have to live with it due to having a between the idea of development GPU, it SUCKS!!!

You can have all (I do) the best software, but if your GPU dont talk a certain language, its like a 12 year old white boy in a New Orleans strip club!!! Yep I think that sums it up lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Vini

May 20, 2016, 08:18:22 PM #18 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 08:26:07 PM by vin97
It really doesn't have much to do with the GPU, although ShadowPlay is obviously a lot easier to use/set up.

If you have a half decent CPU, it will be no problem.
It's about finding the right balance with the codec settings.
Too much compression (visual quality per amount of data, not the reduction rate of data) and your CPU won't be able to keep up, resulting in lower performance/framerate (lags).
Not enough compression and your HDD won't be able to keep up with the high bitrate.

Since GPB has very low system requirements, you should be able to use relatively high compression.

doubledragoncc

Sorry, but yes it has to do with the GPU, if the thing wont allow certain codecs to be used.

No codec, no particular format to record in!!! Simple.

Not only that, but you can use Shadowplay, I cant, my GPU wont let me and yes its Nvidea.

The GPU decides all over what you can and cant do in the end with the graphics. I have an i7, woopee doo it dont let me use shadowplay or certain codecs or the GPU will slap the shit outta it.

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Vini

May 20, 2016, 08:49:37 PM #20 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:14:55 PM by vin97
The GPU is not doing the encoding in your case, though.

Your GPU is purely calculating the game's visual output (it's original purpose) while your CPU grabs that raw uncompressed visual data and encodes it into a (compressed) videofile.

As far as I know, OBS basically supports every VFW ("on-the-fly"/live) codec, you will just have to install them manually.
There are a lot of things to try out, maybe your HDD can even handle lossless codecs (ULH, Lagarith), who knows (not relevant for livestreaming, though).

doubledragoncc

May 20, 2016, 08:57:38 PM #21 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:03:01 PM by doubledragoncc
vin, my system is good apart from the GPU, it is just an old GTX670M and the go between poor lil thing is lacking in many respects. you say the GPU is just for the visual output, but that visual output can work in certain ways. If it can not use hardware coding and it depends on software to do what other GPU's do in the hardware it reduces quality and increases CPU and memory use to make up in its lack of hardware support. Once you start taking up more CPU than you would with a good GPU you start to effect the whole system.

I have fast HDD and memory but my GPU is my bottleneck. ASUS G75 ROG systems are pure gaming systems but even at just a few years old, the GPU is shite lol. Typical.

DD

I am also watching the new Marvel Ironman vs Cpt USA and saw a hot chick lol, dang cant think of her name..............goggled it, Marisa Tomei just hits the spot lol

Oh and by the way I am shit at trying to explain what I mean with this type of stuff lol.

Vini

May 20, 2016, 09:24:22 PM #22 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:41:31 PM by vin97
Quote from: doubledragoncc on May 20, 2016, 08:57:38 PMIf it can not use hardware coding and it depends on software to do what other GPU's do in the hardware it reduces quality and increases CPU and memory use to make up in its lack of hardware support. Once you start taking up more CPU than you would with a good GPU you start to effect the whole system.
Right, your CPU is doing what newer GPUs are doing with their integrated, dedicated hardware video encoders. The GPU itself is not affected by this at all because it does not have to do any additional work (compared to just playing without recording).
Now the good thing is, GPB's CPU usage is relatively low so that this additional work for your CPU should not create problems.
It all comes down to how you configure the software encoder.

Really, try some different codecs and most importantly play with the settings. At the same time, keep monitoring system usage (CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD) to know in which direction to go.
Also, this will show you that recording produces no additional load for the GPU, only the CPU usage will jump up, which only becomes a problem when it begins hitting 99%/100%.

A 670M is plenty for GPB mate :D

doubledragoncc

The GPU is fine for GPB but not for how I like my videos lol. I want 1080p all the way lol/

DD

HornetMaX

In fact the developer of MSI Afterburner (Unwinder) has stated plenty of times that the actual video encoding (the process of compressing to e.g. h264) is not what takes more time, no matter if it's done on a GPU (NVidia NVEC or AMD VCE) or on a CPU (software h264 or Intel QuickSync). What bogs you down if the actual frame capture.

For ddcc, I suspect that all this is just bad in your case as you're on a laptop. As Vin said, on a desktop PC, even with a crappy GPU, you can record on the fly if you have a decent CPU.
But on a M GPU, even if it is more than powerful enough to run GPB, the frame capture could really penalize you too much, no matter how good your laptop GPU.

Laptop for gaming = bad
Laptop for gaming and live recording = extra bad
Laptop for gaming and live recording and live streaming and server hosting = well, you're really seeking trouble there :)

doubledragoncc

Yep, my laptop is fine with any game to play full 1080p high quality but recording is a bitch due to the fact laptop motherboards function a bit differently.

There is much stuff I cant use, Shadowplay, MSI afterburner recording etc etc due to the simple fact only NEW laptops have the ability to act like a desktop. It is the same for audio, many things are not possible on a laptop even if it is high end like mine.

I am also a bitch as I insist on a 40inch flatscreen and 1080p so I have to have good quality videos for my own playback lol. Or it looks like poo on me shoe all squidgy and yuk.

DD

Vini

May 20, 2016, 09:59:27 PM #26 Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:23:27 PM by vin97
Could you elaborate, Max?
I mean it's not like digitizing VHS tapes where you sometimes have to wait for frames because of physical inconsistencies.
Do you think the (motherboard) data busses cannot handle the additional data transfer between CPU and GPU?

doubledragoncc

Quote from: HornetMaX on May 20, 2016, 09:50:48 PM
Laptop for gaming = bad
Laptop for gaming and live recording = extra bad
Laptop for gaming and live recording and live streaming and server hosting = well, you're really seeking trouble there :)

Got to disagree bro. I can run most games in high graphics at 1080p ask CDX. I have very fast internet capabilities including the hosting and streaming, great audio and the motherboard is pure rock and fucking roll for data transfer of it all. My only downfall is what codecs can be used due to GPU hardware limitation, that's it.

The days of the word laptop= all you say are gone with modern gaming laptops. The new ASUS G700 water cooled can blow the doors off most desktop systems!!!

Thats why I am ROG all the way.

HornetMaX

Quote from: vin97 on May 20, 2016, 09:59:27 PM
Could you elaborate, Max?
I mean it's not like digitizing VHS tapes where you sometimes have to wait for frames because of physical inconsistencies.

Do you think the (motherboard) data busses cannot handle the additional data transfer between CPU and GPU?
Read his own explanation here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4687310&postcount=61

Some info is now outdated (e.g. Shadowplay = no windowed mode), but the general concept stays.

Quote from: doubledragoncc on May 20, 2016, 10:12:33 PM
Got to disagree bro. I can run most games in high graphics at 1080p ask CDX. I have very fast internet capabilities including the hosting and streaming, great audio and the motherboard is pure rock and fucking roll for data transfer of it all. My only downfall is what codecs can be used due to GPU hardware limitation, that's it.
OBS (and any other video recorder) has at least one h264 encoder the does not use the GPU, but only the CPU.
So run a CPU-based encoder and tell me if it's any better for you. But I bet it will not :)

doubledragoncc

Yeah OBS states that in settings but when I run my intel extreme tuning program OBS takes quite a bit out of the CPU but the i7 handles it really well. Can get up to 90% and stay rock steady.

Most CPU usage is Sony Vega Pro13, runs the poor thing up to 97% lol.

DD