• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:40:00 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

controversial book "twist of the wrist 2"

Started by zuco1989, July 01, 2016, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zuco1989

July 01, 2016, 09:42:19 AM Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 09:44:03 AM by zuco1989
I dont know how many of you were applying (those who read a book) this in real world but I have improved my riding. Some will disagree but I speak from my point of view.

I would like to implement this counter steering because this is what kick my riding skills two levels up, after understanding that I started do do fast flicks even on road especially when you have to react fast.
Throttle control, loose on the bars all that bring riding on hole different level.

So I would recommend to read this part 2 because part one is not that into technology of riding:
https://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Vol-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021
I am sure that you will be able to find this book in pdf

Playing the game last few months everything was excellent except I didnt manage to get that feeling for counter steering.

HornetMaX

July 01, 2016, 02:03:48 PM #1 Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 07:06:25 AM by HornetMaX
Quote from: zuco1989 on July 01, 2016, 09:42:19 AM
Playing the game last few months everything was excellent except I didnt manage to get that feeling for counter steering.
Because the games counter-steers for you: go straight then lean (the bike) right and what what your handlebars do as soon as you start leaning right.

mst

Quote from: zuco1989 on July 01, 2016, 09:42:19 AM

I have "pseudo" counter-steering working with my Logitech racing wheel.

I setup the wheel so turning the wheel right, leans the bike left.

With my hands at "ten & two" on the wheel, it almost feels like a real motorcycle's bars counter steering  :)

Btw, I don't find anything "controversial" in TOTW

grimm

TOTW and Proficient Motorcycling were my two "go to" books for many years when I first started riding the street. Since then I suggest them both to those that are seeking to become, or improve upon themselves as riders. Some people don't really like Keith Code, but I personally think he's a zero frills, strait to the point kind of guy (much like myself) and gets into the raw and gritty of how a bike works in a way that isn't just science on a chalk board, he actually gives real world example of how the bike reacts and how YOU react until further training can iron out the kinks in your behavior.

HornetMaX

Ditto. The ones that are arguing against TOTW are the ones that have no clue about how bikes work.

passerBy

That's why I think the direct steering mode needs more publicity (and a separate UI option). Many people don't even realize GPB supports proper counter-steering.

@OP and mst, did you guys found how to enable the direct steering mode? If not, I can help you with that.

Vini

Quote from: passerBy on April 05, 2017, 06:56:18 AMMany people don't even realize GPB supports proper counter-steering.
Maybe but regardless, the problem is that there is no controller that supports proper counter-steering so direct-steer is a bit pointless atm.

passerBy

Quote from: vini97 on April 05, 2017, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: passerBy on April 05, 2017, 06:56:18 AMMany people don't even realize GPB supports proper counter-steering.
Maybe but regardless, the problem is that there is no controller that supports proper counter-steering so direct-steer is a bit pointless atm.
Well, you could say the same about almost any sim/controller situation out there. For example, it's not like a typical Thrustmaster joystick is a good representation of a helicopter's cyclic. Still, it does the job relatively well.

I use a G27 with the GPB's mode directsteer=2. More than satisfied with the result. At least it feels much better than telling the AI what bike angle I want, and I do have to work the steering to achieve and maintain the lean.