• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:00:31 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

"File Encryption Tool" for modders use......

Started by Hawk, August 03, 2016, 02:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

August 03, 2016, 02:15:06 PM Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:19:43 PM by Hawk
Hi Piboso.

This is something I'm sure no modder would like to ask for, but there is evidence of flagrant abuse of modders work without asking for permissions first. Therefore unfortunately I'd like to request a modders file encryption tool(for vital physics and texture files) to avoid any of this very annoying practice happening in future.

Let me make it clear that I personally and I'm sure all decent modders are very willing to help and advise others who wish to make mod bikes and tracks or whatever it is that they are having problems with, but when some just take without at least having the decency to ask first then it is very annoying and well out of order. A tool like this would stop that practice.

If you are willing to consider this request, then if you could make it so that the modder who encrypts the file/s can assign a password to those encrypted files so that at any later date they can use that password to decrypt the files too. This would be very handy in circumstances were the modder has lost his original files and can gain access to them again by having the option to decrypt any files already released.

Note to all modders: Please ask the original authors before you just take and use their work. Most decent modders are very willing to help when asked to do so, but when you just take others hard work without any appreciation of the work that has gone into it then it is very annoying indeed.

Again, I'm sorry I've had to ask for this tool Piboso but I think it is now needed.  :(

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

+1 Hawk

I am no modder but do tinker and have been a bad boy by doing things like the wet tyres for the NSR500 from Manu but I always post it and make sure I have made it clear whos bike it was. This was kinda an exception as it was to do a quick fix to try and keep you guys happy, but otherwise I would always ask permission first it is pure respect to do so.

Modders seem to get walked over and taken for granted these days and it is sooo wrong. I take my hat to each and every one of you guys. You make GPB what it is. Thank you

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Blackheart

August 03, 2016, 02:38:58 PM #2 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 02:42:06 PM by Blackheart
Request nonsense, 99% of the gp bikes mods come from other games ....

including sbk, motogp, moto2, moto3, 500's, wss, nr750, etc...

matty0l215

Quote from: Blackheart on August 03, 2016, 02:38:58 PM

including sbk, moto2, moto3, wss, nr750, etc...

Have you had your work taken without concent?  I've had quite a few skins appeare that are exactly the same as some of mine with colour changes and i know it's only a skin but you know how long it takes to do only for somone to edit and call it their own.

Credit where credit is due and only after permision has been given. Quite simple.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Blackheart

I do not see what the problem is, the only way to learn is looking at the work of others.  ::)

doubledragoncc

I think including paints is a bit much. I use the pnt files of bikes as I am shit at Photoshop and use the tga in Corel instead. I often like just now use an original paint and wipe most of it out so I have a basic template as there is not always one. I only use the pnt from the maker of the bike who I always thank and respect.

Paints are not like a 3D model, I do know what you mean Matty but even if I do a paint and someone uses it as a base it is fine as it helps them.

I hope I dont get my bottom smacked by Manu now lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

HornetMaX

For what is worth, I'm utterly against the idea.

I prefer a place where modders do what they do knowing that people (and other modders) will benefit of their work and knowing that, inevitably, some will "steal" somebody else's work.

Open modding benefits to everybody: you make a bike, someone else tweaks it and eventually make it better. It would be nice if he asked for permission first and gave credit to you after, but if we go down the road of crypted modding, cooperation is dead. Period.

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 03, 2016, 02:43:33 PM
Have you had your work taken without concent?  I've had quite a few skins appeare that are exactly the same as some of mine with colour changes and i know it's only a skin but you know how long it takes to do only for somone to edit and call it their own.
And what have you actually lost if somebody is ripping one of your skins and calling it "his one" ?

Quote from: matty0l215 on August 03, 2016, 02:43:33 PM
Credit where credit is due and only after permision has been given. Quite simple.
That I agree. But crypting will go beyond that.

Quote from: doubledragoncc on August 03, 2016, 02:51:37 PM
if I do a paint and someone uses it as a base it is fine as it helps them.
+1. And I'd happily extend that to physics files and the rest. 3d models are not even worth mentioning as they can be ripped anyway (most of the time at least).

There are other games with crypted mods: the end result is paid-for mods, modders working only to make money out of it. No thanks.
Making encrypted mods is also the first step towards closed communities. And us, we're already small enough.

Blackheart

Apart from that people like Max believes that just extract a 3D model and is ready for GP Bikes (blissful ignorance  ;D)

Encrypt the rest of the files makes even less sense, since they are based on the Piboso's default bikes.  ::)

HornetMaX

Quote from: Blackheart on August 03, 2016, 04:15:01 PM
Apart from that people like Max believes that just extract a 3D model and is ready for GP Bikes (blissful ignorance  ;D)
I think you're un-blissfully ignoring the fact that I never said that.

Helps proving, one more time, who's ignorant around here ...

Vini

August 03, 2016, 04:34:21 PM #10 Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:41:19 PM by vin97
Quote from: Blackheart on August 03, 2016, 02:38:58 PM

including sbk, motogp, moto2, moto3, 500's, wss, nr750, etc...

....we are too small of a community to start doing shit like mod encryption.
max said everything that needs to be said.

Blackheart

The next step will be mod for money  ;D

I add that people should be happy if someone tries to create new contents.

matty0l215

I just want Credit where it's due and at least an attempt to get permission (if someone says no, then no is the answer), that would make me happy.

I'm not bothered that people use my skins, just ask me first. It's not hard.

Encryption is a little higher than I'd like. It's not something i've ever thought about and If it was used, i wouldn't want it for non critical files (Paints, .ini files etc) things like the model files are already encrypted (technically :P) and i would want for it to be optional.

Once proper tutorials and documentation are about then there shouldn't be any need for using others work. And if you are happy to encrypt your files then should at least be willing to help out when people want to learn.

And no, asking for money for Mod's is stupid. If you want money for your work, go do it for a job and sell it properly. Or ask for a donation, I'm fine with that.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Blackheart

U are right Matty, ask permission and credits is right. I have often found skins based on my work (or another version of the NR750) but the only thing that bothered me is that they were ugly!  ;D

HornetMaX

I think we all agree with you Matty: people should ask permission and the creator should have the final answer.
Problem is, we already know 100% sure that some people won't ask for permission. It's a fact.

So what do we want to do ? Bother with encryption and its drawbacks just to avoid that some silly 13yrs old "steals" stuff and brands it as his own ?
I have a better solution: public tarring when the silly boy is caught with the jam on the hands. Who cares ...