• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:02 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Make tracks in game from real sattellite data?

Started by IronHorse, October 02, 2016, 08:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawk

Quote from: Grooveski on December 10, 2016, 12:47:18 AM
Makes no difference where they're positioned.   ;)  Lightwave is much nicer to work in than TrackEd, I've been using it for years and when I first tried TrackEd the marshal positioning wasn't working properly.
...so I do it this way.   :)

I find TrackED is working fine for the positioning of the camera and marshal/track object positions, though you do have to first set-up the address for the GPB "misc" folder in the TrackED.ini file before you start so that you have access to the marshall and track project models.  :)

So how are you exporting your scene camera/marshal positions to the .TSC and .CFG files needed in your track folder direct from your scene export? Or are you just using your scene camera positions as a position/orientation reference to manually create those files yourself?  :)

Hawk.

Grooveski

Yeah, I copy the coordinates over from LW into the text files.
...which have had a single unpopulated block of text(one camera or marshal's worth) copy/pasted however many times then renumbered.
Then I open the files in TrackED to check them and add the camera limits/mashall directions.
....but on the other screen is still lightwave.  It's there that I decide where the limits are going to be, in TrackED all I'm doing is changing the number until the little blue dot is in place.

I've absolutely nothing against TrackED by the way, I think it's a fantastic bit of kit.   :)
...but it's orientation and viewport setups are pretty clunky compared to a pukka animation package.
Not being able to position the cameras using a Camera View is what I instantly missed - going in and out of test mode just isn't the same. 
...and coming out of test mode is where I keep accidentaly hitting Esc  >:(  so the less I have to do it the better.   :)

Could be said that manually making the text files is pretty clunky too ;), but it's what I'm used to.  The support files for GP500 were all text based(well - spreadsheet based) so from my point of view all that's changed are the format of the files(GBP's files are better laid out and easier to work with).
In time I'll maybe knock up a couple of scripts for LW to create the files automatically.  I used to have one that wrote out the camera positions to a .csv and it wasn't that complicated.

Grooveski

Images re-uploaded and re-linked on request.   :)

LesNeilson

I'm finding that for the USA, Switzerland and a few cities around the world, the Google data is pretty good imported directly into RTB. This is an experiment I'm working on. The resolution is sufficient to be able to fit the track surface pretty accurately, though it's no match for LIDAR of course. Main advantage is that its fast, you grab the area you want, subdivide the terrain mesh only where you want it, then lay the track out. I'm also experimenting with a high resolution inner area where the track is, and a lower res area for the distant terrain.