• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:09:55 AM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

First-Person Camera Shake

Started by Urban Chaos 2.0, October 05, 2016, 09:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban Chaos 2.0

An adjustable first-person "Camera Shake" feature, I feel would be a very welcome addition to the next GP Bikes release. I've included a video below as an example.

Start at 6m 14s

https://www.youtube.com/v/O48OJqet5Vg?t=6m14s

HornetMaX

October 05, 2016, 10:03:24 PM #1 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 06:29:02 AM by HornetMaX
What do you mean exactly ? The POV moving/vibrating due to wind / bumps ?

[Off topic: the dude in the video is the perfect example of what a biker should *not* be. What an asshole.]

Urban Chaos 2.0

I think this video will more clearly demonstrate what I'm getting at

https://www.youtube.com/v/M97TBYYcyjI

Warlock

So you get sick and also can't see anything riding onboard, good feature.  :P

Urban Chaos 2.0

Quote from: Warlock on October 06, 2016, 12:31:25 AM

Can't make me sick at all. Piboso's "tilt" feature on the other hand...

HornetMaX

Quote from: Urban Chaos 2.0 on October 06, 2016, 06:55:46 AM

Can't make me sick at all. Piboso's "tilt" feature on the other hand...
I see tilt in you video too, what's the difference with GPB's tilt (which can be lowered/adjusted) ?

Warlock

Yes, tilt can be turned of or reduced , but i can't imagine ride a 20 laps race with all that shacking going on plus the bike shaking itself. Corner apex aiming could be a pain.

Vini

if anything, we need a more stable helmet cam.

teeds

You do get plenty of shaking on a camera views but your eyeballs and head are good at filtering that out. I'd prefer the eyeball view for 1st person riding myself, but maybe the shaking imitation would be suitable for replay camera views?

tchemi

Yeah, I agree. Your brain is not a camera and your eyes aren't lens. Mwell, they are lens technically but... The brain is a really advanced machine that embed the best stabilizing features.
If you are a real biker, you know that you don't see shake and vibration trough your eyes.

In order to make this sim as real as possible, the game should show what our brain could see and not what a mounted camera could see.

Stout Johnson

Quote from: tchemi on October 06, 2016, 06:00:01 PM

Yeah, I agree. Your brain is not a camera and your eyes aren't lens. Mwell, they are lens technically but... The brain is a really advanced machine that embed the best stabilizing features.
If you are a real biker, you know that you don't see shake and vibration trough your eyes.

In order to make this sim as real as possible, the game should show what our brain could see and not what a mounted camera could see.

Well the brain definitely has a built-in stabilizer. But it also has its limits. I ride every day by bicycle to work, and there is a passage of cobblestone (you know à la Paris–Roubaix) and there my brain gets to its limits in terms of stabilizing. I definitely have a blurred vision there (I don't have suspension on my bicycle). And I also recall that sometime when riding my CBR above about 200 km/h I sometimes also had sort of blurred vision. I am pretty sure it depends on the wavelength of the oscillations the brain has to absorb whether it can filter them out completely.

Having said that, I would love to have some very nimble (only slightly noticeable) blurring effect, at least for say +250 km/h to give a better perception of speed. I would also love to see some sort of reaction of the upper body to very high g-forces. If I ride my bike and I really brake very very hard, I can really feel how I cannot completely keep my arms extended at the initial "shock" when the g-forces apply - it is only noticeable at braking with maximum braking force and only for a split second when the g-force is very high. Also sometimes in the other direction if I accelarate really hard and the 100+Nm take full effect. If that could be also applied in a nimble and realistic manner, I think it would give a better perception of really riding onboard.

Just to make sure I am not misunderstood - I am completely against such generic shaking and blurring like in the video above.

Just my 2 cents...
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------

doubledragoncc

I have bad eyes and being an old fart dont help. It is hard enough in 1st person without adding more movement to it thank you very much.

Now STFU Urban lol

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls; i7 12700K 5.1GHz Z690 ASUS Strix Z690-A Mobo 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix RTX3080 OC 10GB DDR6X ASUS Ryujin 360 AOI Cooler ROG Thor 1200w PSU in ROG Helios Tower Case.

Warlock

Quote from: tchemi on October 06, 2016, 06:00:01 PM

Exactly  :)
Not only the brain, but the whole body, neck, act as a filter for those shakes

Obviously if you ride in a " à la Paris–Roubaix"  you shake like hell, but i dont think any real track would be allowed to use this 'tarmac' lol  ;D

HornetMaX

In principle it shouldn't be too hard to simulate a non-rigid link between the bike chassis and the 1st person camera (it's a bunch of spring+dampers): that could simulate how a real head+body react to a moving/vibrating chassis. I have absolutely no idea if it's worth the effort though: it may be that once it's developed the end result looks either fake or so tiny to be almost irrelevant.

Stout Johnson

October 06, 2016, 09:07:48 PM #14 Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 09:17:24 PM by Stout Johnson
Quote from: HornetMaX on October 06, 2016, 08:40:14 PM
In principle it shouldn't be too hard to simulate a non-rigid link between the bike chassis and the 1st person camera (it's a bunch of spring+dampers): that could simulate how a real head+body react to a moving/vibrating chassis. I have absolutely no idea if it's worth the effort though: it may be that once it's developed the end result looks either fake or so tiny to be almost irrelevant.
Yeah thought of that too. I think it would depend on how it looks. It has to be very subtle, like irl. But I think it would definitely help the immersion. There are car sims that try to simulate the g-forces and how the head of a driver behaves. If it is not overdone then it really does help the immersion.

Here is a video which shows what g-forces do with the head of rider (I guess everybody can distinguish for himself which movements are done by the rider by moving around on the bike and which are g-force related unvoluntary movements). Intersting stuff starts at 00:35.
https://www.youtube.com/v/yjJ2GVJjfj8

There is definitely some involuntary head movements, especially due to bumps and the suspension working. The braking g-forces don't do very much, because the rider is expecting them and holds his head stiff - normal behaviour. But in the braking at around 00:47 you can see that the arm extends in order to absorb the brake forces, but you can see that the arms just do get bent a little tiny bit and the head moves a little bit forward because of the g-force. If that could be implemented in GPB it would help to get a feeling for the amount of braking, for the immersion in general.

But I agree it should have a high priority. It will only benefit the 1st person riders, who are still not very many. But as soon as VR will be widespread, that might be interesting for many more.   
    -----------   WarStout Kawasaki Team   -----------