Author Topic: BikeMOD Discussion Thread  (Read 13649 times)

BOBR6 84

• View Profile
Re: BikeMOD Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
I`m having a major Deja-vu here  ;D

Shh you, go away with your history lessons ;) :P

JamoZ

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2016, 06:45:42 PM »
I`m having a major Deja-vu here  ;D

Shh you, go away with your history lessons ;) :P

Owh no lessons here, just funny to see you`re running into the exact same problems i did when i was doing this. Fun isn`t it? :P

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2016, 07:15:58 PM »
Much like my job, Same shit different day. All fun though :P

doubledragoncc

• If it dont fit HIT it!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • GPBOC Live Streams
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2016, 08:36:16 PM »
Oh poo did I miss a bitch fight or something???

Was being a traitor and workin with the MXB dudes........................................HAHAHAHAHA

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls

Teamspeak: Server IP: 82.43.148.211  user password "yougetin"

i5 7600 5.0GHz z270 ASUS Maximus Code Mobo 16GB 3866MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix GTX1050Ti OC 4GB DDR5 Kraken X62 AIO Cooler

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
Okay lets leave this now...

Thank you.

HornetMaX

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2016, 09:31:46 PM »
An easy way to avoid changing anything is online server info on the forum.. with all the info and download links you need to be able to join that specific server.
Exactly. And I'd also add: don't create open servers or servers with a ton of bikes in them (I think ddcc has reached the same conclusion recently).
If one creates a server with the bike(s) version(s) in the server name, most of the issues are gone (e.g. "server #1: MotoGP v7.4 + STK v12.4").

Hawk

• MOD Team: CAWS / GP-Team: Horizon GP #7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2016, 09:49:09 PM »
An easy way to avoid changing anything is online server info on the forum.. with all the info and download links you need to be able to join that specific server.
Exactly. And I'd also add: don't create open servers or servers with a ton of bikes in them (I think ddcc has reached the same conclusion recently).
If one creates a server with the bike(s) version(s) in the server name, most of the issues are gone (e.g. "server #1: MotoGP v7.4 + STK v12.4").

And who is going to chase up server admins to obtain all that information and keep it bang up to date on a daily basis?
I don't think it's a workable idea to be honest, but if you guys like the idea then make it happen. Go for it guys! ;D

But I do like the idea of server admins creating servers for particular bike classes... I believe DD is already doing that. That will help in not always needing all bikemods installed if you don't intend to use certain classes of bike. ;)

Hawk.

doubledragoncc

• If it dont fit HIT it!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • GPBOC Live Streams
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 10:40:27 PM »
I have made each server so it is for one class only. I dont have enough to do ALL classes so some are flexible but they will all be bikeMOD only servers. ONE will be " update when the fuck I want"  and due to MXB experience from tonight I will be making one for them too, how it will be updated is down to them as I know shit about MXB.

SO.............basically I will run bikeMOD servers except for one and the other is a traitor server nananananan!!!

DD
GPBOC Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/c/IASystemsComputerControls

Teamspeak: Server IP: 82.43.148.211  user password "yougetin"

i5 7600 5.0GHz z270 ASUS Maximus Code Mobo 16GB 3866MHz DDR4 RAM ASUS Strix GTX1050Ti OC 4GB DDR5 Kraken X62 AIO Cooler

matty0l215

• CAWS Racing #61
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2016, 10:53:54 PM »

GP500

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »
From my experience hosting servers in other racing games, the only time you should have more than one vehicle is if it's from the same series. No mix and matching, and no more than one track.

I don't understand the argument about how things are distributed. The Bike Mod is a welcome service. In the same token, people should be free to release as they wish. I, like another user, appreciate the write-ups about new releases. Why not let those still happen, with a PM sent over to the Bike Mod curator, so he doesn't have to look around the forum for an update?

This is like trying to create a crisis out of thin air. JamoZ tried and gave up once. Wouldn't it suck for the current curator to also give up? It's not worth it doing so much work and having to deal with this (also speaking from experience).

HornetMaX

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2016, 05:55:56 AM »
I still think that the main reason we have something like the BikeMod (with all the work it requires from its carer and all the constraints it puts on the users) is that the way GPB "tells" you you have a bike mismatch is bad, very bad. If we had a message like:

Code: [Select]
Bike mismatch:
  Bike A: v1.2 --> v1.3
  Bike B: v2.3 --> v.2.2

there would be very little need for a "every 2 weeks" release schedule.

Notice that the bike versioning could be lite, i.e. only done by the modder via a property of the bike (in the bike.cfg): if the modder is dumb and releases a new version without changing the bike's version number, then there will be a silly message (Bike C: v4.0 --> v4.0), but that should be easy enough to detect, fix and avoid.

So it seems like extremely little work in GPB (the server already sends the client the list of bikes to check, just send also the bike's version number) for a huge advantage in usability. And Matty could take a break :)

Warlock

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »
I still think that the main reason we have something like the BikeMod (with all the work it requires from its carer and all the constraints it puts on the users) is that the way GPB "tells" you you have a bike mismatch is bad, very bad. If we had a message like:

Code: [Select]
Bike mismatch:
  Bike A: v1.2 --> v1.3
  Bike B: v2.3 --> v.2.2

there would be very little need for a "every 2 weeks" release schedule.

Notice that the bike versioning could be lite, i.e. only done by the modder via a property of the bike (in the bike.cfg): if the modder is dumb and releases a new version without changing the bike's version number, then there will be a silly message (Bike C: v4.0 --> v4.0), but that should be easy enough to detect, fix and avoid.

So it seems like extremely little work in GPB (the server already sends the client the list of bikes to check, just send also the bike's version number) for a huge advantage in usability. And Matty could take a break :)

I agree on this. Most of the problem comes from GPB lack of feedback about which bike/version is missing.
Although think about 40 bikes updating every week. You would need to download a few bikes everytime you want to play, really annoying.

HornetMaX

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2016, 04:31:55 PM »
Although think about 40 bikes updating every week. You would need to download a few bikes everytime you want to play, really annoying.
Only on open servers. If I play on a (let's say) MotoGP server and the MotoGP bikeset hasn't been updated, I don't need an update.
But if I want to go on an open server, any update to any of the server's bike will force me to update.

I'm OK to wait 10min for a download. I'm much less OK to waste 2h trying to figure out which bloody bike has a wrong version :)

Warlock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2016, 04:54:59 PM »
I'm OK to wait 10min for a download. I'm much less OK to waste 2h trying to figure out which bloody bike has a wrong version :)

Indeed :)