• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:24:07 AM

Paint Organisation?

Started by JamoZ, December 27, 2013, 09:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamoZ

It would be nice if we started to sort out the skin database. Hawk did an amazing job keeping all the paints together but now that modding is starting to get shape and we`re going to see more bikes, we need to organize it just that little bit better to keep everything in control.

I suggest making a folder for each bike we have and put the skins in the correct bike folder.  I`m seeing 500cc, RSV4 & GP8 skins in the 1000cc folder. If someone would download everything as 1 whole .zip file and put it in his murusama paint folder, alot of skins wouldn`t match and show up incorrectly. Putting the wrong skins in the wrong folder happened in our shared dropbox folder and it was a pain(t) in the ass trying to pick out which paints showed up faulty because noone cared to name them correctly aswell.

This brings me to my other point..name templates. Right now everyone is naming their skins however they want, but it make alot of difference if we started to use a fixed template for paint names.
What the best way is is something that`s up for discussion, but we need something clear like RTH R6 - JamoZ #14. RTH is my team, R6 is the bike the skin is for, JamoZ is my nick & 14 is my race number. This way you keep everything tidy and there are no more skins named like : carbon, yellow, #25 etc etc.

Hope my rambling makes sense, but i want to keep everything in order ;)

PeterV

Reactive

order like Nick_Number_Team_Bike  looks more farsightedly for me (i mean naming from more potentialy permanent value to less permanent)
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64

HornetMaX

Totally agree on the principle. It should also be applied to bikes, helmets models, helmets paints and tracks.

Quote from: Reactive on December 27, 2013, 10:01:59 AM
order like Nick_Number_Team_Bike  looks more farsightedly for me (i mean naming from more potentialy permanent value to less permanent)

I'm for the opposite, as the most important thing is the bike the paint is for.
Team is not really useful, there will not be plenty of teams.

What I'd do:

• Tracks: NAME_YEAR_VERSION as in Monza_2010_v1.1. Maybe it's a good idea to add the author too.
  • Bikes: MAKE_MODEL_YEAR_VERSION as in Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2. If we ever manage to sort out different categories (not easy) the the category could be prefixed (i.e. before the MAKE), like SBK_Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2
  • Paints: to be absolutely clear, the name should include the entire bike name (eventually except the version number), plus the paint name. However if the paint db was kept with the same directory structure as the one needed by gpb (eg. Bikes/SBK_Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2/paints), then everything would be very clear without the need for a very long paint name.

MaX.

JamoZ

How are we going to do this with all the current bike paints? Someone needs to start renaming them, and people need to start from scratch again downloading all the paints. If we divide it over 2 or 3 people it`s doable. The sooner this gets standardized, the more work and frustration it will save us in the end. If needed i volunteer to do a part of the paints. But first we need to agree on a template. And in the end if a paint is not named properly, it will not be included in the paints library, easy as that :D

Toomes1

I think that is a brilliant solution to what has become like a crazy maze and that's no disrespect to the ones who take time to organise the files.

Warlock

Quote from: HornetMaX on December 27, 2013, 01:16:19 PM

• Tracks: NAME_YEAR_VERSION as in Monza_2010_v1.1. Maybe it's a good idea to add the author too.
  • Bikes: MAKE_MODEL_YEAR_VERSION as in Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2. If we ever manage to sort out different categories (not easy) the the category could be prefixed (i.e. before the MAKE), like SBK_Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2
  • Paints: to be absolutely clear, the name should include the entire bike name (eventually except the version number), plus the paint name. However if the paint db was kept with the same directory structure as the one needed by gpb (eg. Bikes/SBK_Yamaha_R6_2011_v1.2/paints), then everything would be very clear without the need for a very long paint name.

Agree

HornetMaX

Quote from: JamoZ on December 27, 2013, 01:32:32 PM
And in the end if a paint is not named properly, it will not be included in the paints library, easy as that :D
Agreed.

I think a good idea is to start with the 125 paints, just to practice before doing the tough stuff.

MaX.

Hawk

December 27, 2013, 08:26:21 PM #8 Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 01:04:27 PM by Hawk_UK
I agree with what everyone here is saying, I'm quite happy to continue working with dibu to keep the online server track downloads database organized, but, yes, I could do with someone else taking over organizing the paints files(MOD Bike and default Bike paints) and Mod bike databases, as it's too much for one person. I started it because it needed doing and know one else seemed interested at the time.

How long will it be till you guys create this new database?

Anyway. I'll keep the current skins/mods database download thread up till you guys have got yourselves organized, but I won't be continuing to update it.

As soon as you publish your new skins/mods database I will delete my forum thread ;)

This new database your talking about organizing should be great! Good Luck Guys! ;D 8)

Hawk

December 30, 2013, 02:00:09 PM #9 Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:03:02 PM by Hawk_UK
Why not just start afresh by publishing a sticky thread for the standardised paint file format rules, and then requesting everyone who has paint files to submit those files again in the new standardised file format required. This will save a lot of work, and only then require the files to be uploaded to the database into their correct folders.

As far as the file name format is concerned, I think you must have the name of the author in the filename(Preferably abbreviated), as confusion could rain when you get two paint files from different authors for the same bike paint scheme; for quality reasons some may prefer one to the other but both could be worthy of including in the database. I feel the same should go for the MOD bike database files too.

There is some good ideas here for organising this database, but is anyone here willing to actually get this up and running?

PS: I would also suggest that the "Paint" section of the forum be wiped clean for the fresh start, too. :)

Docfumi

@ Max and or Ricco, please feel free to remove all the Skin Threads I have posted in the Paints Section of the forum. I will consolidate all Skins
to one thread.

Thanks guys and sorry for the hoarding.  ;D

I didn't lose the race, I ran out of laps.

JamoZ

Maybe we can later catagorize the skins into Fantasy/Factory/GBP Team skins? If someone would be willing to setup a template/scheme for this i wouldn`t mind doing the renaming.

Ian

I found these old 125 & 500 paints on my hard drive Jamoz
you may want to check them to see if you have them

125 https://mega.co.nz/#F!p01GXAgC!FSY4Sh001lpa3gXULhecTA

500 https://mega.co.nz/#F!YxViFKKS!EbYp6F3ZkCQeeVuMEGZNLQ

JamoZ

I was thinking about doing the paint system in a different way. I want to include them into the bike mod. Eventually everyone will want to have that bike mod, and they are already complete folders. I can just gather all the paints, rename them and put them in the correct bike folder. This way there never is any confusion about which paint belongs to which bike and everything is already organized into categories. Of course i will provide a seperate paint folders with all the paints organized, but i think this could be one way of keeping everything centralized and organized. What are your thought about this?

HornetMaX

Highly impossible as soon as you have enough GPB players with personal paints.

MaX.