• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

Kerbs, shock absorbtion and steering. (virtual damper on steering and tyres)

Started by tchemi, October 25, 2016, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchemi

Hello guys ! Hello Piboso !

I think that the subject has already been discussed but I cannot find any thread dedicated on it.

So, to be quick, kerbs are a pain in the arshe. On each track there at least one kerb (100% on certain tracks) that are completely unusable. If you put a inch of a tyre on it, you fall.
There is a real problem with the suspensions and kerbs. I saw my bike literally fly sometimes when riding on a kerb.
Last time I was in the grass and was going back to the track at 1 or 2 km/h (spa francorchamps). I crossed the kerb because I fell in a turn, and when the rear wheel hit the kerb (at 2 km/h) the wheel jumped at 1 meter over the ground
and the bike made a 180°. Sometimes if you are just riding at 30/40 km/h on straight line and go a little bit over the kerbs, you lose the front end and crash.

The suspension physics are really good when riding at normal speeds (even if the front end sometimes annoy me when it goes full left-right-left-right... with no reason in straight lines). But it seems that there is a problem with
relief and unevenness of the track and kerbs.

That led me to questions and suggestions.

1st, the tyre is the first suspension on bikes/car before the springs. I think that in GPB, the tyre is considered as a solid material that absorbs nothing.

2nd, I feel like there is no force applied to the fork by the rider arms, I mean, the steering bar. If you ride on a straight line and hit anything on the track, or even if you bend a little and hit a kerb,
the shock will propagate in the fork and will make it wobble. It's like rider arms are not present and apply zero force to absorb the wobble. Same if your are making a wheeling. As soon as the wheel is leaving the ground,
you can observe the fork going full right-left-right even on bike that actually have a fork dumper. Its like the rider have his arms around the tank and not on the bars.

So, is it possible to test or add a new feature that will simulate tyre deformation and rider arms force on the fork ? I mean something like a virtual suspension. This virtual suspensions could be factorized by tyre pressure,
and for the arms, maybe just a constant value of suspension that will add force in the vertical axle (left-right, like a steering damper).

Of course, this doesn't completely fix the issue, as I said I also had the problem with the rear wheel. But maybe this would worth a try.

PiBoSo

Both tyre radial stiffness ( that changes with pressure ) and rider steer damping are already simulated.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

tchemi

Quote from: PiBoSo on October 25, 2016, 12:31:18 PM

Both tyre radial stiffness ( that changes with pressure ) and rider steer damping are already simulated.

Thank you Piboso for the quick response. Is there a way to tweak or tune those values or do you think it is useless ?? Is the problem only due to tracks ?
Is the rider steer damping a constant value or is it affected by variables ? Because I've never seen a pilot IRL doing right-left-right-left on a straight line when opening the throttle (or just a little). And it does it a lot in GPB when the front wheel is lighten.

Anyway, there is is still a problem when crossing kerbs. How can it be improved ?

janaucarre

for the  kerbs: you can try victoria and you will see all is ok with this track, for the other the kerbs are in saw teeth and that is the problem but not for all tracks.

Hawk

The problem with a lot of the ribbed or saw tooth kerbs on quite a lot of the GPB TrackMODS is that they have been modelled greatly over-scale to real life as far as I can see - Just look at the  size of the kerb saw tooth extrusions in relation to a bikes tyre and you will see what I mean; no wonder bikes are having trouble riding over them in my opinion.

Hawk.