• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:41:23 PM

News:

World Racing Series beta14 available! :)

Physics modding questions

Started by HornetMaX, December 27, 2013, 06:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HornetMaX

This message is mainly for Piboso.

I'm sure you are and were well aware that unlocking the physics would trigger a gazillion questions to you from the community (and, to be honest, I was expecting even more). The question is: how do you prefer to handle this?

Are you preparing some sort of documentation for the physics files (bike.cfg, .geom, .engm, .tyre) or do you prefer us to do it, firing questions on specific parametees we don't understand?

I'll soon have the time to create a doc if necessary (anybody with the necessary skills/knowledge is welcome to participate).

MaX.

Hawk

Good thinking, Max! ;D

I agree. Documentation is desperately needed to answer physics and bike mod questions in general.

It will save important and useful answers to questions being scattered here and everywhere making things hard to find.

neoraptor

I second your idea !!
Documentation is very much needed, especially for the geometry definition and the config file !!
I tried to understand the geometry, but without some schematics and documentation, it is quite hard.

I started a wiki on this page (http://gpbikes-mods.wikia.com/wiki/GPBikes_mods_Wiki) in order to centralize the documentation. We can use this to share/complete our knowledge about the bike (better than a forum for such doc imho).
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. Confucius
>> Wiki to help modders <<

C21

December 29, 2013, 08:30:46 AM #3 Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:39:05 AM by C21
+1 :)
In my opinion the Engine Files and config Files are more or Less Self explaining to someone who has a technically Background. But the Geometry is another Story. I agree that a centralized Webpage would be very much appriciated.
@piboso:
There are some erforschen in the Game which has to be eliminated in some of the next Versionen. In Sport Bikes you don't have Front Spring Rates of 15-32. Normalmy the Range is between 7,5-12 N/mm. The Tyre Pressure Range Mostpresse used is between 1.7-2.1. only on wet tyres you use pressures Down to 1.5bar.....Tbc..have to Leave now..
# Member of the CAWS Racing Team #

PiBoSo

Quote from: C21 on December 29, 2013, 08:30:46 AM
+1 :)
In my opinion the Engine Files and config Files are more or Less Self explaining to someone who has a technically Background. But the Geometry is another Story. I agree that a centralized Webpage would be very much appriciated.
@piboso:
There are some erforschen in the Game which has to be eliminated in some of the next Versionen. In Sport Bikes you don't have Front Spring Rates of 15-32. Normalmy the Range is between 7,5-12 N/mm. The Tyre Pressure Range Mostpresse used is between 1.7-2.1. only on wet tyres you use pressures Down to 1.5bar.....Tbc..have to Leave now..

You have to double the front spring rate, because there are 2 springs and 2 dampers in the forks.
"La perfezione non è il nostro obiettivo, è la nostra tendenza".

C21

Ah...thank you. Now it make Sense....
But Not on all forks there are two Springs and dampers. Some have the Spring on the left and the damping Unit in the right side...but that is a minority.

HornetMaX

Quote from: C21 on December 29, 2013, 11:13:02 AM
But Not on all forks there are two Springs and dampers. Some have the Spring on the left and the damping Unit in the right side...but that is a minority.
True, but it doesn't really matter: 2 springs of 7.5 N/mm or one of 15 N/mm will behave the same (at least at the level of detail relevant for gpb).

MaX.

Hawk

I remember there being an issue with bike physics on uphill and downhill track surfaces? I ask this because I've noticed while riding on the current Cadwell Park Track(which has a lot of track surface height differences) that when cornering on a corner that rises and then falls while in the corner, the bike becomes very light(too light for the speed I'm doing) and the grip becomes very light causing the bike to greatly slide across the track surface. Also when the bike rides up a hill and reaches the crest of the hill, the bike again becomes far too light, too quickly, than it should.

Is this something that can be sorted by tweaking the physics files? Or is it something not quite right in the core program software with the way it calculates the physics for the bikes?

HornetMaX

Could also be a track problem.

MaX.

C21

QuoteIs this something that can be sorted by tweaking the physics files? Or is it something not quite right in the core program software with the way it calculates the physics for the bikes?
That's a Good question. Right now i would Say that it can be tweaked by the physics and geom Files up to a descend Point. But i can't promise that something Else is the Root cause. Sometimes the Bike behaves Strange, far from beeing realistic.

Hawk

Quote from: C21 on January 18, 2014, 10:07:31 PM
QuoteIs this something that can be sorted by tweaking the physics files? Or is it something not quite right in the core program software with the way it calculates the physics for the bikes?
That's a Good question. Right now i would Say that it can be tweaked by the physics and geom Files up to a descend Point. But i can't promise that something Else is the Root cause. Sometimes the Bike behaves Strange, far from beeing realistic.

Sounds promising.... I was testing the Varese 500 bike on Cadwell Park, but I'll have to try the R6 to see if it reacts any different with the better physics file.

Thanks C21 ;)