• Welcome to PiBoSo Official Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:25 PM

News:

GP Bikes beta21c available! :)

Bikes from GrabCAD

Started by FuNK!, November 19, 2016, 05:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuNK!

Hey Guys!

Was browsing GrabCAD recently and saw a lot of great Bikes (real, fictional, semi-fictional, concepts) and thought it would be great having some in the game. All of the models are free and therefore don't have any bad touch (like taking the models from SBK, Ride, etc.!).

Anyone interessted?

Cheers,
FuNK!

FuNK!

Yeah, I understand you need some more teasing to grab your interest!

What about this concept one?
https://grabcad.com/library/sr-design-sport-motorcycle-1

Or this cafe racer?
https://grabcad.com/library/cx500-1

Or a custom bike?
https://grabcad.com/library/honda-steed-400-1

What's with a Super Moto like?
https://grabcad.com/library/down-track-racer-1

OK, I guess you understand there are a lot of great bike models available! So is anyone actually interested in using these?
In case you don't wanna create an account or log in with google/facebook, just drop me a line! Several models are available as universal 3D models you are able to use with your favorite 3D software.
In case you aren't able to transfer the model to a useable model for the game, just drop me a line too. Of course I think in some cases I could assist with mapping and other 3D work too  8)

Cheers,
FuNK!

matty0l215

Hi FuNK

There is no reason why we couldn't use these models (assuming they are decent enough quality) but most if not all the current Modders are very busy with Projects

CAWS have got a load of old bikes we are getting up to spec, BES are working on the WIP bikes. There may be others who can MOD but I'm not sure.

Maybe when someone see's the models they might have a play but don't hold your breath. Maybe you could give it a go (We can offer help on how to get the models in game and get them working), assuming your familiar with 3d modeling :)

Matty
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Blackheart

Explain how you plan to use these CAD models for gpb ... I'm curious.

matty0l215

November 24, 2016, 09:23:36 PM #4 Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:28:20 PM by matty0l215
Most of the models on GrabCAD aren't actually CAD. Just a decent free modeling website.  EDIT- They use CAD files but they import into 3DS max very well

There are loads of high quality models on there.

Another issue with using these models is that you may not have permission to convert them for use in game. It's worth asking the original creator.
For faster responses, please visit the discord server- HERE

Blackheart

I spoke of the models who posted the FuNK.

FuNK!

Of course there is a great number of non-professional-CAD models too. Those real CAD files sometimes need special programs to open (AutoCAD, Inventor, Solidedge, etc.) but some authors already provide standard formats like STL or STEP with their models.
In combination with (for educational purpose free) Inventor/AutoCAD, FreeCAD or SketchUp and Blender it should be rather easy preparing the models (mapping, mesh retopo, etc.) for GPBikes. Here's just an example I've imported in FreeCAD, then exported to STL to be usable with Blender:

Of course the model is veeeeeeery high-res (I think this bike for instance had over 1,000,000 faces after import) and needs a lot of work (or other ways of converting). However, this not really a big deal for someone able to deal the Blender voodoo  8)

Just for me all of this work is too much. At least for the part bringing this models into the game, adjusting physics and sounds I would need help  ;D

Reactive

I know GrabCAD for a long time, there are lot of good models. And yes, for game needs they are very highpoly. So the only way is take one of this model, make retopology and use the highpoly for baking the normals onto low/mid-poly.
Bonus while using models from GrabCAD is a time-saving when you only building the grid, not thinking about dimensions and proportions. Because CAD-users have more resposnsibility to this things, i guess :)
Excuse my English, its not my native.
Ryzen7 1800x / Aorus GA-AX370 Gaming K7 / Hynix 16Gb x2 2993MHz / Samsung 960PRO 512 M.2 / nVidia GTX1060 6Gb / Windows 10 pro x64

Blackheart

Quote from: Reactive on November 26, 2016, 03:34:59 PM
I know GrabCAD for a long time, there are lot of good models. And yes, for game needs they are very highpoly. So the only way is take one of this model, make retopology and use the highpoly for baking the normals onto low/mid-poly.
Bonus while using models from GrabCAD is a time-saving when you only building the grid, not thinking about dimensions and proportions. Because CAD-users have more resposnsibility to this things, i guess :)

I see in the past some tutorials in Blender for make a right retopo with very good results.

FuNK!

And Blender has a modifier to decimate the poly count. With such high-res models it's working pretty good, so you are able to reduce the poly-count to 5% with ease and without great loss.